Large Mouth Bass

Is there any other species?
JayInGrapevine
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Large Mouth Bass

Post by JayInGrapevine » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:44 am

dragon1 wrote:If those LMB grew to 100lbs and was twice as tough, Larry Dahlberg would do it!

Hell...I know of a lot of guys that would sign up for that gig.
100lbs and twice as tough? Try 250 and just as mean. I present to you the Nile Perch. Looks very similiar to LMB but they get enormous and are very aggressive. I'd love to go to Kenya and chunk a Slammer or Shellcracker for these things.

Imagine getting a topwater hit like this

BTW, Cuba has probably broken the world record a few times over but it's gone straight to the frying pan.

reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by reelblues » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:48 pm

Lightninrod wrote:
secretweapon wrote:Bass fishing is growing in south africa. I have a friend in the military over there, the guy fished in the states for over 10 years, catchs the biggest bass of his lifetime on his first outing across the pond.

For years there have been rumblings about bass weighing in the teens on treasure lake in cuba, but obviously political b.s. has that on hold for the rest of the world.

Those were the same two countries I was going to mention. Lordy but I'd love to fish and smoke in Cuba.

Great minds... 8-)

Dan
El Salto ain't Cuba, but it ain't bad either :D Mi amigo, Chambi, confirms there are bass, muy grande, in Cuba. Maybe one day........

A 11 pounder, a Punch Double Corona, and cerveza mas fria. 8-)
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after"
Thoreau

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:55 pm

Yeah, those Nile Perch go nearly 500lbs!!! The real monsters are becoming very rare (due to overharvesting) except for the most inacessable areas of heavy current.