Large Mouth Bass

Is there any other species?
psb7508
Angler
Angler

Large Mouth Bass

Post by psb7508 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:13 pm

What other countries now have transplanted large mouth bass populations that are not in North America? Are the fish thriving in these areas?

reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Large Mouth Bass

Post by reelblues » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:14 pm

I don't know how many, but it is more than I thought, given the posts in TT. I can't believe how good the bass fishing is in Croatia. Those guys must have some virgin water.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after"
Thoreau

mRVA
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mRVA » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:22 am

Maybe not virgin waters (I fish for LMB for 16 years, was one of the first thou), but surely virgin for some fish producing techniques. Fishing in Croatia for LMB is mostly sight fishing with weightless silicon lures. Maybe some spinnerbaits, poppers, shallow crankbaits and this is it! But Hungary has also very good fish and the people there are still using Mepps inline spinners and grubtails on a jughead to catch them! When I come there to fish (and this is 3 times a week, haha), and use poppers or spinnerbaits they think im from out of space! :D And I fish there for 7 years! Once my friend had tangled his Senko on a tree and broke off. Tomorrow the branch was cut off and the Senko was gone, hehe! Imagine the look on the Hungarian face when he saw the lure, hehe. Two years ago I broke off my favorite Pro Autograph Zell Rowland Pop-R in some lilly pads and one Hungarian with a boat helped me to retrieve it. As a sign of "thank you!" I gave him a Owner Cultiva Gobbo Popper. This year he admitted to me that he taught I was joking with him when I gave him the lure. This spring he caught a 7 lbs LMB on it!
Yes Sir, I can Boogie!

MaineFshr
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MaineFshr » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:19 pm

mRVA those are some great stories. Sounds like you are ahead of the times over there!!

iangler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by iangler » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:32 pm

Japan has both largemouth (northern and florida) and smallmouth. Both thriving, almost too much. The biggest lake in Japan, Lake Biwa, probably produces as much or more 10lbers than El Salto. It's about the size of two Clear Lakes.

This is one of the many guides that fish Lake Biwa>

www.okubiwako.com

psb7508
Angler
Angler

Post by psb7508 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:06 pm

Are there a multitude of lakes for LMB in East Europe and Japan or just a few of these types of lakes?

iangler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by iangler » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:10 pm

70% of lakes and reservoirs in Japan seem to have some kind of bass in it.

secretweapon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by secretweapon » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:00 pm

Bass fishing is growing in south africa. I have a friend in the military over there, the guy fished in the states for over 10 years, catchs the biggest bass of his lifetime on his first outing across the pond.

For years there have been rumblings about bass weighing in the teens on treasure lake in cuba, but obviously political b.s. has that on hold for the rest of the world.

mRVA
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mRVA » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:28 am

psb7508 wrote:Are there a multitude of lakes for LMB in East Europe and Japan or just a few of these types of lakes?
I know about (and have fished for :D ) bass in Croatia, Hungary, Serbia and Slovenia. I know there are bass in Italy, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland and France. And this is all of Europe bass that I know of. In Croatia there are many lakes with some population of bass and every year we found new lakes with bass in them! :D
Yes Sir, I can Boogie!

mRVA
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mRVA » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:30 am

iangler wrote:Japan has both largemouth (northern and florida) and smallmouth. Both thriving, almost too much. The biggest lake in Japan, Lake Biwa, probably produces as much or more 10lbers than El Salto. It's about the size of two Clear Lakes.

This is one of the many guides that fish Lake Biwa>

www.okubiwako.com
If I ever come to Japan (and this is not imposible :) ) the first thing I will do is to fish lake Biwa! The bass there are DEKA!
Yes Sir, I can Boogie!

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Lightninrod » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:35 pm

secretweapon wrote:Bass fishing is growing in south africa. I have a friend in the military over there, the guy fished in the states for over 10 years, catchs the biggest bass of his lifetime on his first outing across the pond.

For years there have been rumblings about bass weighing in the teens on treasure lake in cuba, but obviously political b.s. has that on hold for the rest of the world.

Those were the same two countries I was going to mention. Lordy but I'd love to fish and smoke in Cuba.

Great minds... 8-)

Dan

Shortlite
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shortlite » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:37 pm

Lake Naivasha, Kenya, has a good fishery for largemouth bass as well. In addition, the bass have spread and been transplanted/stocked in a few dams in and around Nairobi.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:34 am

Probably in more waters than we know of...and spreading faster than the English language. ;)

psb7508
Angler
Angler

Post by psb7508 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:28 pm

It seems like someone should start a bass fishing tour in other countries.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:47 pm

If those LMB grew to 100lbs and was twice as tough, Larry Dahlberg would do it!

Hell...I know of a lot of guys that would sign up for that gig.