The right weight

Is there any other species?
RRION
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

The right weight

Post by RRION » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:34 am

Hi, this is my first post.

I'm writing from Italy, so please forgive me if my American/English is not perfect :whistle:

We know that you are the masters of Tex Rigging in USA, so that's the question: wich is the right weight for Baby Brush Hogs?

At the moment i'm fishing it with 3/16 (moderate cover or clear water), but someone told me that "big is better" because the flaps are moving faster.

Is that true, can you help me?

Thanks a lot

Rino

11kalnmitc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: The right weight

Post by 11kalnmitc » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:21 am

depends what you are trying to accomplish, if you are stroking it off the bottom big weights are prefered but for the normal texas rig the rule of thumb is go with the smallest weight you can while keeping contact with the bottom :D

Stroking is a completly different techniqe however, it consists of casting ussually a jig or heavy pegged texas rig around 3/4 - 1 1/2 oz. and letting it sink once it hits bottom you rip it off the bottom and usually watch for bites on the fall back down to the bottom, once it hits you rip it back up, you do this all the way back to the boat. you can expirament with different weights and times letting it sit on the bottom before ripping it back up, it's an interesting technique but as stated not a conventional texas rig :)

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:36 am

RRION wrote:wich is the right weight for Baby Brush Hogs?
I started to reply yesterday but kept feeling like I was just going to come off as a smart alec...

The right weight is the one that allows you to fish at the depth you need to fish, penetrate the cover you need to penetrate, allows you to fish at the speed you need to fish, and gives you the action you need to have.

In my opinion, there isn't really a right answer. If 3/16 is working for you, then "someone" doesn't know what they're talking about.

I'll also say that if you're limiting yourself to one weight, you're crazy. You need to fish heavier in the wind than when its calm. You need to fish lighter when you're shallow than you do when you're deep. Etc.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

RRION
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RRION » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:29 am

Ok, I understand...

I'll try to go bigger, and let you know the results

I'm new in bassfishing (3 years), and I must learn a lot :lol:

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:39 am

There is no right answer to that question, you have to try different weights in different conditions in different places to find the right one.

The right weight is the one that allows you to fish at the depth you need to fish, penetrate the cover you need to penetrate, allows you to fish at the speed you need to fish, and gives you the action you need to have

I would add, to that: the one that allows you to maintain contact with the bait and with the bottom.

In fishing you can´t go around saying "this is how it should be done" because such thing doesn´t exist, if you or who told you so go around with that mindset you or whomever told you don´t know what you are talking about, there are a big bunch of variables.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:01 pm

Let the fish tell you what the right weight is for the conditions. O:)

tracker01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tracker01 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:08 am

For depths on 10ft or less I use 1/4 to 3/8 and more than 10ft , what ever it takes to make good contact with the bottom.