Electric Only / Low HP Motor Lakes

Is there any other species?
Captain Chaos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Electric Only / Low HP Motor Lakes

Post by Captain Chaos » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:09 am

Love em. My fav lake is trolling motor and outboards up to 10 HP .. they rent the jon boats daily for a reasonable price. I have trolling motor and fish finder to outfit the boat. The thing I love about it .. no jet skis, no big boats, no crowds, peace and tranquility. The one I hit is a water source for my area as well. Lots of bait and big bass. I caught my biggest one there at 8 lbs. The only con is not much structure and it can be tough at times but that's ok.

Mine opens next Wednesday and I'm taking the day off of work. I'm excited .. WOOT!

Much preferred to the big lake chaos. Trying to hit one of our large lakes on the weekends is like a game of boat dodging, and dealing with huge wakes off of big boats .. the main channel is like a washing machine. Not really relaxing at all ..

So .. let's hear about your lake and thoughts on these kind of lakes.
"It's In...Oh My God...It's In"
McLovin, Superbad

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Electric Only / Low HP Motor Lakes

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:24 pm

I looooooooove electric only lakes. That's my primary body of water, with Erie being second. I love the fact there are no powered boats out on the local reservoir. Every time I go to Erie there is at least one idiot on a jet ski that just neeeeeeeds to get close enough that I can hit him with a crankbait.

j-fox.4
Angler
Angler

Post by j-fox.4 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:48 am

I haven't been on the electric only lakes up by Tokugawa, but down in east central ohio I have three 10HP lakes and a 25HP all within a 40 minute drive..they're all awesome. One is a deep, more clear water lake (relatively speaking, it's ohio..) with probably the best small-mouth population in Ohio (except Erie, of course)

you hit the nail on the head with your description CC. There's hardly ever traffic except for tournaments and the families on pontoons. They're just beautiful lakes, preserved for the fishing and the scenic beauty.

TheGEEK
Angler
Angler

Post by TheGEEK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:12 am

We have tons of electric only lakes and even some hand power only lakes. I love em, but most of them are still under the ice out here !!

Jesse Gallup
Angler
Angler

Post by Jesse Gallup » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:41 pm

Almost all of the lakes in my area are no wake lakes. The only places you can crank up is on the
Missouri River which I never go on and oxbow lakes on the Iowa side. These were made during floods that got cut off from the main river.

One of these lakes is just nuts to go on. Because of a law they can not limit how many people are boating at any given time. So the traffic is crazy with power boats and jet skis and of course all of the problems that go with it.
I talked to a DNR officer who says they will write around 25 tickets a day on weekends for various violations.

And this lake has just under 800 acres of water and people are criss crossing back and forth it is
a wonder more people are not injured each summer.

Shimano-Or-Nothing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Shimano-Or-Nothing » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:50 am

Pit fishing is where its at!

Eric Walsh
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Eric Walsh » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:01 am

I live just a short drive south of Lake Erie in PA and most of our lakes are either 10hp and electric only
or they are unlimited horsepower w/ no wake. It really makes for a peaceful fishing experience and like
Tok, I fish Erie often, but it's so massive, I can always fire up big momma and get away from the idiots. :lol:

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:50 am

Eric Walsh wrote:I live just a short drive south of Lake Erie in PA and most of our lakes are either 10hp and electric only
or they are unlimited horsepower w/ no wake. It really makes for a peaceful fishing experience and like
Tok, I fish Erie often, but it's so massive, I can always fire up big momma and get away from the idiots. :lol:
Must be nice! My boat is electric only so Erie is not an option with it. However, it provides great access to over 3300 acres of electric only water. I usually fish with on breakwalls or with other folks in their boats on Erie. Hint hint... :lol:

Eric Walsh
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Eric Walsh » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:33 am

Maybe shortly after ice-out (talking about only a week or two) when Presque Isle warms up faster than
the main body, we'll hook up. (No pun intended. :lol: ) Fishing can be unreal in the warm lagoons of the
peninsula. :shock:

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:57 am

Eric Walsh wrote:Maybe shortly after ice-out (talking about only a week or two) when Presque Isle warms up faster than
the main body, we'll hook up. (No pun intended. :lol: ) Fishing can be unreal in the warm lagoons of the
peninsula. :shock:
Sounds good! I'll help pay for gas. O:)

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:46 am

Haven't found any here in MN but the one lake I go to says no wake and no speeds over 10mph....yeah right! These bass boats tear up the lakes like no tomorrow and it's pretty annoying. Seems like the rules only apply when the DNR are present. :evil:
I will NEVER sell another 3:16 swimbait again!

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:54 pm

damian_megabass wrote:Haven't found any here in MN but the one lake I go to says no wake and no speeds over 10mph....yeah right! These bass boats tear up the lakes like no tomorrow and it's pretty annoying. Seems like the rules only apply when the DNR are present. :evil:
Most of the lakes in Minneapolis & St Paul are electric only. I've been out on Harriet & Calhoun many, many times and the only others on the lakes are sail-boaters. Nothing better than sticking a big bass in front of a bunch of sun tanners or fighting a big muskie near one of the beaches... you should see the parents pulling their small children out of the beach when you hoist a 50" muskie out of the water. :big grin: :big grin: :big grin:

Trooper46
Angler
Angler

Post by Trooper46 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:49 am

I love lake calhoun. Some of my best friends went to school at U of M and still live in the twin cities. When ever I am up we make it a point to head to the lake to kayak. Maybe next time we'll fish it.

Back on topic, some of my favorite lakes in northern wisco are electric only or no wake, or at least have decent no wake hours when you can be safe from jet skiers. Its nice to be able to stand up in a boat not much bigger than a canoe and not wory about getting tipped into the water by some mid life crisis jerk.

Bob Ellis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bob Ellis » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:06 am

You other MN boys are forgetting the best no-motor lakes the state has to offer. Boundary Waters baby!

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:14 am

electric only is great for me being im fishing from a yack 90% of the time..
neaafishing.com
bocabearings.com
power team lures