Skipping with baitcasters.

Is there any other species?
Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Skipping with baitcasters.

Post by Afrayedknot » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:06 am

If you have a Shimano reel with VBS (not sure about how to do w/ SVS infinity), you really need to give this a shot! I use a cu101d and it works great.

1 Use a lure that would skip nicely (arkie jig+ trailer, t-rig craw or beaver, chatterbait w/ trailer, etc)
2 Put 4 of the brake shoes in the on/out position (distance is sufficient even with 4 brakes on, trust me)
3 Loosen the spool tension knob so the spool can just slightly go side to side.
4 Cast. You will find that it is VERY easy and controllable. I, through habit, put tension on the spool throughout the cast with my thumb, but I honestly don't think you would need to thumb.

I know some of you are concerned with distance, but if you do this right, you can easily skip 10 - 25 feet. I was just at a local pond (doesn't have any fish in it, but I practice skipping and cast for fun here) and I could get 20+ feet if I managed to get the cast right. I like to do a circle cast, and let go of the lure as the rod is about a half foot or less above the water, and then I follow through as the lure skips. Just give it a try; you will be amazed at the ease.

If you are just starting out at skipping, and are having a bit of trouble, just put on 5 or 6 brake shoes and cast over and over until your thumb gets a good feel of how much pressure to put on the spool. Good luck. Please tell me how this works out for those of you that try this. I think you will find it very easy.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:06 am

Afrayedknot wrote:If you have a Shimano reel with VBS (not sure about how to do w/ SVS infinity), you really need to give this a shot! I use a cu101d and it works great.

1 Use a lure that would skip nicely (arkie jig+ trailer, t-rig craw or beaver, chatterbait w/ trailer, etc)
2 Put 4 of the brake shoes in the on/out position (distance is sufficient even with 4 brakes on, trust me)
3 Loosen the spool tension knob so the spool can just slightly go side to side.
4 Cast. You will find that it is VERY easy and controllable. I, through habit, put tension on the spool throughout the cast with my thumb, but I honestly don't think you would need to thumb.

I know some of you are concerned with distance, but if you do this right, you can easily skip 10 - 25 feet. I was just at a local pond (doesn't have any fish in it, but I practice skipping and cast for fun here) and I could get 20+ feet if I managed to get the cast right. I like to do a circle cast, and let go of the lure as the rod is about a half foot or less above the water, and then I follow through as the lure skips. Just give it a try; you will be amazed at the ease.

If you are just starting out at skipping, and are having a bit of trouble, just put on 5 or 6 brake shoes and cast over and over until your thumb gets a good feel of how much pressure to put on the spool. Good luck. Please tell me how this works out for those of you that try this. I think you will find it very easy.
SPOT ON!
That's the best description in words I've read, I filmed a short clip doing that but with a write up like that…there's no point uploading. Just about the only thing I can add is keeping the rod tip slightly up…and short senkos on mosquito guards work great as do spinner baits with a flatter bottomed head. On a mag 3d reel I found dial on 10 max brakes will make it effortless, normal 10 gets optimal distance.

Awesome description Afrayedknot!

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:24 am

Just look at this video it will demonstrate how to set brakes and tension control
Its the best I have seen as far as explanation

http://youtu.be/sevXix_46xw

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:36 am

Pegasus wrote:Just look at this video it will demonstrate how to set brakes and tension control
Its the best I have seen as far as explanation

http://youtu.be/sevXix_46xw
That guys sounds like Dennis Braid. :lol:
Mcyl wrote:SPOT ON!
That's the best description in words I've read, I filmed a short clip doing that but with a write up like that…there's no point uploading. Just about the only thing I can add is keeping the rod tip slightly up…and short senkos on mosquito guards work great as do spinner baits with a flatter bottomed head. On a mag 3d reel I found dial on 10 max brakes will make it effortless, normal 10 gets optimal distance.

Awesome description Afrayedknot!
Thanks. I am not very good at skipping but I just found that technique to be easier then what I had done before. Haven't tried mag 3d yet though.

Jare77
Angler
Angler

Post by Jare77 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:36 am

I find that using rods with micro guides to be more accurate and precise when skipping around docks. One tip I can give is to focus mainly on thumb control and don't worry so much about spool tension and braking. You want the line to come off the reel effortlessly or your actually going to be working against yourself. Just my experience.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:05 pm

Months ago I thought there was a magic setting, magic bait or magic way of casting to achieve a good skip. When I got results I wanted I noted it down and skipped for the sake of skipping. Then when I was actually fishing I had a setup just for skipping.
After a while I found other settings, baits and casting techniques worked. Now if I'm holding a rod with a jig, spinnerbait or small SP Swimbait and there is overhang I skip whatever I'm holding under it.

I kinda found that there is no tune...it's the angler that gets in tune with it.

Bassfever
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bassfever » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:17 am

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:54 am

what about with a reel like the scorpion with svs brakes?

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:00 am

goldrod wrote:what about with a reel like the scorpion with svs brakes?
If one relies on casting brakes to skip. SVS will require more fine tuning than VBS.
VBS...I dunno why the bothered with 6. Just make the thing with 2

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Mon May 25, 2020 9:33 pm

Let’s bring this post back from the dead. :lol:

I finally learned how to skip (unweighted worm) a while back with my 16 Aldebaran BFS XG. I was excited to say the least. I learned how to skip in my pool. What I didn’t anticipate is skipping in a pool ain’t even close to skipping in a drifting boat in choppy water. :lol:
Skipping has it’s place but it’s just not that big of a deal anymore because I don’t fish many docks.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue May 26, 2020 9:31 pm

John G wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:33 pm
Let’s bring this post back from the dead. :lol:

I finally learned how to skip (unweighted worm) a while back with my 16 Aldebaran BFS XG. I was excited to say the least. I learned how to skip in my pool. What I didn’t anticipate is skipping in a pool ain’t even close to skipping in a drifting boat in choppy water. :lol:
Skipping has it’s place but it’s just not that big of a deal anymore because I don’t fish many docks.

I don’t fish many docks as well
If I were tournament fishing I believe I’d have a line sponsor so i could spend a day just skipping docks and getting better. My skills currently are hit and miss
As in when I cast I may miss that one dock leg or I may hit it.
I saw a guy skip a lure with an antares 70 and was blown out of my socks. He did it while turning his head away from the over hang just to look at me.
Skipping when done right looks very effortless. I love to watch JBF skip on their blogs
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Tue May 26, 2020 11:11 pm

goldrod wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:31 pm
Skipping when done right looks very effortless. I love to watch JBF skip on their blogs
I agree on watching skipping videos of people that really know what they are doing. I will say that I have caught a grand total of 1 LM Bass when skipping a dock. LOL
I was really proud of myself when I did it. :mrgreen: