Skipping with baitcasters.

Is there any other species?
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Skipping with baitcasters.

Post by goldrod » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:31 pm

When your skipping with a baitcaster, what brake type are you using?
How has it helped you improve, if you switch from one type to another?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Skipping with baitcasters.

Post by y2k88 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:51 pm

I'm interested in this too.
I've had very random success trying to skip with a baitcaster.
On successful attempts, it had a lot to do with the cast and the trajectory of the bait.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:21 pm

I was watching KVD on flippn and pitch'n for heavy hitters and He discusses equipment and What I notice in the video was he was using a quatum reel and so it really made me wonder.. I've personally never tried with a baitcaster but I would be interested to know.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:29 am

Here are some serious skipping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zV7H_3K6WA
Look at second 58.
Casting control, or mechanical brake works to change the initial brake load, and have almost stable brake force regardless of speed. The stable brake force will be added, and push up the profiles of centrifugal, or magnet brakes upwards. The brake force is relatively smaller than other system at high-middle speed range, but effective at close to speed 0 where other systems don't conduct enough brake force. In skipping, lure decelerates brutally after it hits water, and the casting control knob is the only effective brake at the situation. Tight up the cap.
Source: http://japantackle.com/Topics/brake_system.htm

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:18 am

I just blew 10 bucks in line with a 68 md/hvy xfast cumara..

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:02 pm

Magforce maxed and a little tip rod, with at least a 3/8oz jig 1/2oz is better. Stick with mono until you get it down then go back to flouro. Good luck it can be a long hard road.

Reeltor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Reeltor » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:23 am

SmokeyJ
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SmokeyJ » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:57 am

This is a pretty cool video, too:
http://youtu.be/6DmJSmROhNc
I wish I could get my hands on that DVD, but I'm too cheap to pay $50 + international shipping for it

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:28 am

Reeltor wrote:Check this video out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tXlODzLu4A
This video has great info both oral and visual.

The light jigs with big trailers work the best. Also one of the easiest lures to skip is the Javallon 160 without any weight at all.
More, take attention on how he is positioning the rod during the skip. You will see that he starts with a relative low tip position and ends with the tip high in the sky. This prevents the lure to garb to much water and sink.

About the reel's cast control. This is very personal but if you are able to do better with your thumb then its ok. Otherwise, use the cast control to have some braking at low speed.

One thing that is killing for skipping, is not be able to cast almost parallel to the water's surface.
This is rule number one.

Good luck.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:26 am

Skipping isn't really something I can use much around here but I've been practicing it a bit just to have a fishing trick to show off to friends. I can do it pretty well with a baitcaster but the splashes are much louder than what you see on those videos.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:38 pm

Number one is the baits weight and type..
Number two and I believe that this is the kicker is the rod.. Med/hvy and then what?
Fast , exfast, ect..... I was trying a med/hvy extfast and I dont think its whippy enough..
One other thing after using a spinning reel just now.. I can see how the cast control needs to be light. I was looking at the spinning reel and nothing was preventing that line from coming off. Theres no spool tension unless I am not understanding the reel design correctly..

I have a 6'10 medhvy crucial I am going to practice with and give you guy and update. One thing is if your fishing from the back of the boat and you can skip, you can get to places that the boater can't and out fish him..

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:49 am

goldrod wrote:Number one is the baits weight and type..
Number two and I believe that this is the kicker is the rod.. Med/hvy and then what?
Fast , exfast, ect..... I was trying a med/hvy extfast and I dont think its whippy enough..
One other thing after using a spinning reel just now.. I can see how the cast control needs to be light. I was looking at the spinning reel and nothing was preventing that line from coming off. Theres no spool tension unless I am not understanding the reel design correctly..

I have a 6'10 medhvy crucial I am going to practice with and give you guy and update. One thing is if your fishing from the back of the boat and you can skip, you can get to places that the boater can't and out fish him..
My uncle used to say "when you don't know is like you are blind".
Most people focus too much in the right gear but the important thing is to be able to execute the cast with the right technique.
When one masters the technique, is almost possible to skip everything but its much easier for people to put the blame on the gear.

Just my opinion.

PS: My first successful(controlled and consistent) skipping was with a 7'4" swimbait stick, 20lb FC, Zillion SH and a Javallon 160. Very far from what most people use.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:43 pm

I agree with getting the right technique down but I will have to say the the equipment does come into play.
For example if you wanted to learn how to flip and you were using a spinning rod and ten pound test, Yes you will get bit, and yes you may get a fish out ( not where I'm fishing in florida) but without the proper equipment you wont' be doing it right. Or at least the results your looking for.

Now I am not say Mr. Carlos Carrapico that my equipment is my excuse,

I will be honest this is the hardest technique to date for me. But I am not a quitter I am striving. I just think that the rod is to stiff for me. Maybe I need to down size the stiffness and when I have mastered that level I can probably advance to the next.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:56 am

goldrod wrote:I agree with getting the right technique down but I will have to say the the equipment does come into play.
For example if you wanted to learn how to flip and you were using a spinning rod and ten pound test, Yes you will get bit, and yes you may get a fish out ( not where I'm fishing in florida) but without the proper equipment you wont' be doing it right. Or at least the results your looking for.

Now I am not say Mr. Carlos Carrapico that my equipment is my excuse,

I will be honest this is the hardest technique to date for me. But I am not a quitter I am striving. I just think that the rod is to stiff for me. Maybe I need to down size the stiffness and when I have mastered that level I can probably advance to the next.
I didn't say you were blaming your gear. Just said lots of people do. Just go to the Buy and Sell section and see the almost new or never used gear that appear there because someone disliked it in the first ten casts.

I'm here to help not to criticize.

If the rod is too stiff try with a heavier bait. You don't need a rod that casts a mile, just one that gives the bait enough speed and the right trajectory. Just like making a stone plane on top of the water, no matter how plane the stone is you must trow it right.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:40 am

Here is another video that I just found while looking for other things.

Nevertheless, it illustrates the correct evolution of the rod tip position during the skip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsQK1AP2hmo