Where do Largemouth go in the Summer??

Is there any other species?
wsunweed
Angler
Angler

Re: Where do Largemouth go in the Summer??

Post by wsunweed » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:17 pm

Don't worry Teal I got skunked out at Potholes Reservoir in the middle of July this last year. It was the first time I fished the North/Dunes area of the lake (my wife got a nice 2 lbs Smallie on a Senko by that bird island and I got crapped on by a bird). First time I've ever been skunked at potholes, usual I fish near the dam for Smallmouth. Needless to say, that day I was on a mission to find LM in the dunes area where we were camping.

Its good to see a couple of you know what I am talking about in terms of the LM vacation.

I can't wait for summer people. Anybody know where I can get some Hibernol? http://www.hulu.com/watch/3534/saturday ... e-hibernol

I could take just enough to wake up right before the spawn. 8-[

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:50 pm

It was our first time on the lake and we hit the dunes looking for largies. Couldnt find anything other than carp. We fished all the way back to the beep then out and up the crab creek channel, not even a nibble. I actually had a carp hit my DT-4 crank and bend the treble hook :lol: I'll be trying the dam and Lind Coulee next time.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

Spot King
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Spot King » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:56 am

I've never fished your lakes and I'm not much of a smallmouth fisherman due to where I'm at; but I love Summer fishing. At ANY lake I've fished in the Summer; one or all of the following things are true.

If there is heavy grass, bass will be in it; and I'll fish it hard. Flip it, Punch it; and weedless baits over the top. Frogs, flukes; etc. This is productive at every lake I fish that has grass in the Summer time. Big fish too.

There will be fish schooling on bait. Could be main lake, could be in coves. Surface baits, spoons, underspins, scroungers, small swimbaits; etc. Usually these fish are smaller grade, but you can catch big ones as well at times.

They can be deep too. I honestly don't like to fish deep; unless I have to. Main lake points, dropshot, C-Rig; even a jig.

Crankbaits can be killer on points and flats. Deep divers. You can get on good schools of fish doing this if you're at the right place at the right time.

I throw quite a few different baits in the Summer time and it really doesn't matter which lake I'm at. If there is grass, I WILL fish it hard. I'll flip a lot and throw a lot of walking baits (topwater) for bigger bites; as well as swimbaits.

Some people talk about the dog days of Summer, but I've found that it can be some of the best fishing around for numbers; and every once in a while you hook a big one. I personally love Summer time fishing. Find grass, find bass.

:big grin:
What my name is?

jbassc
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jbassc » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:57 pm

It depends on the lake your fishing if the lake has docks thats one place the fish could relate to cause of the shade also deep vegetation and deep dropoffs are aalso common,Here in my home waters the bass mostly hang out in the tullies during the summer.

Jesse-C
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Jesse-C » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:11 pm

I fish the largest resevoir in Kansas all the time. Its excactly the same as what you are talking about. before and during the spawn, and in the fall is when you catch the largemouth. After the spawn they vanish like ghosts. Everyone i know just targets smallies but i have wondered where in the world they go. I dont have thousand dollar electronics but i am sure they are out deep on a ledge or drop somewhere. What gets me is the lake is fairly silted in so you cant really define a creek channel or anything which makes it hard to judge where to fish. Also there is absolutley no grass to fish. So its hard to look shallow unless guys think they are chillen in cedar brushpiles up shallow?? have tried with no luck. I plan to devote more time this year though. Let me know if you figure it out and i will do there same.

Zalomoon
Angler
Angler

Post by Zalomoon » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:53 pm

Has anyone here caught any fish below the thermocline? I Fished Kentucky lake this summer around labor day, found a deep hole (quarry) and marked a whole bunch of fish on the bottom (90 to 100 ft). I'm pretty sure It was below the thermocline. Now can anyone tell me what those fish were doing there? Tried dropshotting with no bites. By the way It was a very hot day, upper 90s.

PainInTheBass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PainInTheBass » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:24 am

smalljaw wrote:I fish a lake that is hard to catch LM bass in summer also, the problem is the oxygen levels in the deeper part of the lake are non existant so the fish won't go where they can't breath.
Actually, the colder the water, the more soluble oxygen is, which should increase the DO concentrations. There may be other reasons that the fish are not at the bottom, but lower DO than at the surface is not one of them. I am not disagreeing with your observations of no fish on the bottom, just the explanation as to why.
My fishing antics @ paininthebass.blogspot.com