Multi-bait rigs banned in Elites and Classic

Is there any other species?
smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Multi-bait rigs banned in Elites and Classic

Post by smalljaw » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:46 am

What they did was virtually kill the rig even though it can still be used in the opens and the federation events. A lot of the open anglers are trying to qualify for the Elites and I don't think anyone who wants to make the elite level will try to do so on the back of a rig that was banned from competition at the elite level. If someone would and then have a bad rookie season they would draw a lot of skepticism and will be famed for making the big leagues on the back of a banned rig.BASS was smar, they satisfied both crowds because there are some who don't think banning the rig was right and while the Elites can't use it and neither can Classic competitors, it is still allowed at the lower levels and who wants to win at the lower level on a banned rig in the big leagues? All the winner would be hears is how they won an event that maybe they wouldn't have if the rig was banned through out the entire organization. Sure, there are some who fish just for the money but most want recognition of their peers and to qualify for the major series and attract sponsors, and that would be a hard sell if someone did it using a rtg not allowed at the top. I agree with the rig being banned, the anglers at that level are good enough that they should be able to catch fish without using a bunch of lures at one time. I guess it all depends how you look at it but from my point of view I think they did the right thing.
Barlow's Tackle

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:01 am

Cal wrote:
Nytron wrote:Good choice, that rig is ridiculously unfair, up there with fishing with dynamite and electrofishing :lol:
You state it as if there's something wrong with that 8-[ :lol: :lol:
Only amateurs use dynamite.

Pros use C4. :big grin:

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PaBass75 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:41 am

I'm glad to see it gone.

A Rules Committee member added, “I don’t have a problem with the use of umbrella rigs or multi-lure rigs to catch bass. If you are out fun fishing, there may be nothing more fun to use. However, our events represent the highest level of professionalism in our sport and I think as participants of these events, we should be held to a higher standard, as well. I like the idea of one rod, one reel, one lure.”

Me too.
Good decision. =D>

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:27 pm

Uhhh...yeah...duhhh.

I would like to order a couple of your special gill net lures though, Marc!
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:32 pm

As long as I can throw the MHoodie Gill Net Beotch! on my WP/Z2020...I'm in. O:)

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:34 pm

Tokugawa wrote:As long as I can throw the MHoodie Gill Net Beotch! on my WP/Z2020...I'm in. O:)
Tokugawa-san...I would love to throw just about anything on your WP...friggin' schweeeet rod!
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:56 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Tokugawa wrote:As long as I can throw the MHoodie Gill Net Beotch! on my WP/Z2020...I'm in. O:)
Tokugawa-san...I would love to throw just about anything on your WP...friggin' schweeeet rod!
Just w8 until you see our new FXXX-1011X Texas Gill Net "Stud Dawg"...It'll be a rod like nothing you've ever fished. :big grin:
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:15 pm

mhood wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
Just w8 until you see our new FXXX-1011X Texas Gill Net "Stud Dawg"...It'll be a rod like nothing you've ever fished. :big grin:

Will it attach to the fisher below the waist? :big grin:

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:22 pm

dragon1 wrote:
mhood wrote:
dragon1 wrote:

Yes. Built for a man, upon insertion the Stud Dawg will fish like an extension of your actual maleness. Using the Stud Dawg with the Texas Gill Net will be a sensory experience like no other. Those big sows won't stand a chance. :lol:
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:24 pm

mhood wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
mhood wrote:
dragon1 wrote:

Yes. Built for a man, upon insertion the Stud Dawg will fish like an extension of your actual maleness. Using the Stud Dawg with the Texas Gill Net will be a sensory experience like no other. :lol:
LMAOROTF!!!!

As quoted from one "EYE - GORE"..."he's going to be very popular!" :lol: :clown:

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:13 pm

glad its banned
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

wolfewiz
Angler
Angler

Post by wolfewiz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:27 pm

It is a sport afterall....they can set the rules however they see fit.

JayInGrapevine
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JayInGrapevine » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:02 pm

I've never thrown one but I think it's sorry that they banned it. It wasn't based on catching fish in a "sporting manner" or fish health or anything like that. Look around, do your research, fisheries biologist have all come out and said they don't do any more damage than normal baits. If you're afraid of hooking fish in the side I better not see anyone throwing jerkbaits, rattle traps or deep divers this year. It was based on money. Plain an simple. Money. I talked to multiple people who were in that meeting. A select few lobbied against it, the funny thing is, I found quotes from those same people who said they were "fired up" about throwing it this coming year and thought it was a great idea. So why did they want it banned? It would kill sales of their sponsors baits. They said it could have won at least 4 events last year during the summer. So how are their sponsors supposed to sell 6XD's, football jigs and flutter spoons when this wire harness with a few jig heads and sassy shads is dominating the tour? So they'll let the opens use it because who cares about the hot bait in the opens? Not as sponsor driven. If they could have, Strike King would have sent FLW a cease and desist order to ban the A-Rig.

It's the most innovating rig in the past 20 years and they're trying to kill it because they can't monetize it.
Powell Rods

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:08 pm

JayInGrapevine wrote:I've never thrown one but I think it's sorry that they banned it. It wasn't based on catching fish in a "sporting manner" or fish health or anything like that. Look around, do your research, fisheries biologist have all come out and said they don't do any more damage than normal baits. If you're afraid of hooking fish in the side I better not see anyone throwing jerkbaits, rattle traps or deep divers this year. It was based on money. Plain an simple. Money. I talked to multiple people who were in that meeting. A select few lobbied against it, the funny thing is, I found quotes from those same people who said they were "fired up" about throwing it this coming year and thought it was a great idea. So why did they want it banned? It would kill sales of their sponsors baits. They said it could have won at least 4 events last year during the summer. So how are their sponsors supposed to sell 6XD's, football jigs and flutter spoons when this wire harness with a few jig heads and sassy shads is dominating the tour? So they'll let the opens use it because who cares about the hot bait in the opens? Not as sponsor driven. If they could have, Strike King would have sent FLW a cease and desist order to ban the A-Rig.

It's the most innovating rig in the past 20 years and they're trying to kill it because they can't monetize it.
Interesting. Couldn't SK just make a knock-off (not like patents mean anything to anyone anymore anyway) and have the Elites tell people it works best with Shadalicious baits? They could make a "Strike King 30 Minute Commercial"...errrrrr...I mean show and feature it there.

I think what you say has merit....I'm trying to understand why they can't sell it.

Basswrangler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Basswrangler » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:09 pm

Kind of sad to see the bait banned. For the record, I completely understand the other side of the argument and almost "want" to agree they made the right call. I guess for me I am sad, because I really like seeing innovation in the tour. That and the fact that the a-rig barely touched the surface of multi-lure baits. If they didn't ban the rig I am guessing we would see some really wild rigs in the near future with the potential to really shake things up. I have not fished an a-rig yet, but I am planning on giving one a try this upcoming season just out of curiosity.

This rule also leads me to question some other rigs. How about fishing two flukes with a three-way or two barrel swivels?