Skipping: Baseline advice

Is there any other species?
Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Skipping: Baseline advice

Post by Mcyl » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi all,

Been a fan of using LMB techs to catch local species in Australia. From drop shotting, shakey heads and most recently pitching jigs, after a bit of improvisation and a bit of practise they have all worked well.

Now I want to skip baits.

I was wondering if there is a s stock standard setup as a starter. From what I've read 10-14lb mono is the go, along with a M to MH powered fast action rod.

I have reels with centri, mag, magforce and DC. Haven't yet decided which one is better or if mono is really better than braid.
Is there are stock standard beginners setting? So far I have the brakes set med-high with CC set loose... But then again that's my go to setting in most cases.

I have a 7' MF rod and a 6'7 MH as general purpose casting rods ( haven't really got into tech specific rods except for BFS and Swimbaits)

Was wondering if purpose made skipping jigs make a difference and are there trailers in particular that will help with starting up?
So far I've found the best bait for skipping is a 3/8oz chatter bait with the blade removed, a popper with trebles replaced with assist hooks and small SP Swimbaits.

Casting action as been at a 15-20 degree side arm a the water, following thru with the tip up like pitching. I've only casted lightly so far with 1 in 4-5 casts failing.

Thanks.

Btw I saw this vid where A rigs were skipped. I tried that out and found a full a-rig cut down to 3-4 prongs with 1/8jig heads worked well. As long as the head of the rig is quite big it skipped 2-3 times.

Thanks and hope to here from y'all.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Skipping: Baseline advice

Post by BlaineFred » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:09 am

I began a thread on skipping docks a week or so ago..

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:25 am

I've successfully skipped with my lightest baitcaster (SPR with 5lb Fluoro and an UL Volkey) all the way to the MH stuff (Curados and Zillions with Dobyns 703). I've also skipped a 6" Hudd with a Lexa 300 and Dobyns 795ML a few times in open water just to see if I could.

Generally baits with some sort of flat side are easier to skip.

Baits towards the bottom end of the rod's lure ratings are a bit harder to skip.

I just wish I had places to skip baits in. I don't have any water with trees to cast under and the only place I fish with docks is 100 miles away. That feeling when you skip a bait and get bit right away is so awesome though!

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:04 am

BlaineFred wrote:I began a thread on skipping docks a week or so ago..
Yeah...its seems hard to get answers anywhere outside the import/enthusiast forum...

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:07 am

cst wrote:I've successfully skipped with my lightest baitcaster (SPR with 5lb Fluoro and an UL Volkey) all the way to the MH stuff (Curados and Zillions with Dobyns 703). I've also skipped a 6" Hudd with a Lexa 300 and Dobyns 795ML a few times in open water just to see if I could.

Generally baits with some sort of flat side are easier to skip.

Baits towards the bottom end of the rod's lure ratings are a bit harder to skip.

I just wish I had places to skip baits in. I don't have any water with trees to cast under and the only place I fish with docks is 100 miles away. That feeling when you skip a bait and get bit right away is so awesome though!
Fish in my area have been striking mid skip. its the ultimate in topwater action!. I've been skipping at just ponds and retrieving as fast as possible with my LTZ. so its like a bit of bait gliding back and forth.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:31 pm