Line watching and casting distance with Senkos

Is there any other species?
Backlash Picker
Angler
Angler

Line watching and casting distance with Senkos

Post by Backlash Picker » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:13 pm

I'm trying to improve my senko skills and after reading some posts, I figured that I should put more emphasis on watching my line as the senko falls. But this brings a question to my mind: is senko fishing really as relatively close distance technique? I wonder if anyone can really see what their line is doing if they cast the senko 25 or 30 yards or more - even with hi-vis yellow line.

So here is my question for you senko line watchers: do you deliberately keep your casts pretty short in order to have a decent view of the line as the senko falls?

Thanks,

Backlash

frankdi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Line watching and casting distance with Senkos

Post by frankdi » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:23 am

I fish a lot of Senkos in the summer in a very clear river system. A long cast is essential in success. I use a G loomis Mossyback Bcr893 which is a 7'5" extra Fast rod. The long rod allows you to keep the braid off the water so you can watch it better. You will also feel it better if you keep direct contact to it and not allow it to lay on the water too much. I can make very long pitches under docks and let them drift under them. The long rod is the key. The soft tip also allows you to make those long casts. Good luck.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:53 am

@Backlash Picker

Do you prefer casting or spinning?

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:17 am

A lot of my weightless senko fishing is not super distant. That being said it depends on the conditions and where I'm at obviously. To me the most important aspect for me is line watching to be successful no matter the distance. Fast retrieve reels have helped me as well in Being able to get line in quick and a solid hook set. I use flourocarbon and never have a huge issue seeing my line unless it's getting super dark out.

Backlash Picker
Angler
Angler

Post by Backlash Picker » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:45 pm

Thanks for your replies.

First, for those of you who questioned, I use a 7'6" spinning rod. I'm going to try out the idea of keeping as much line up out of the water as possible. I typically hold my rod lower, so I can sweep-set the hook.

I fish a clear water lake where the bass are a bit spooky. So long casts are an advantage. But I think I will try making my casts as long as possible, but still close enough that I can meaningfully see what the line is doing.

Best,

Backlash

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:36 am

Not only line watching is important, line watching goes with line feeling, you can not only watch the line sinking as it´s being dragged by the bait but you can feel that drag, when you suddenly detect the bait has ceased dragging the line --- > set the hook, the sensation is that the bait has "dissapeared".

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:59 am

Backlash Picker wrote:I'm trying to improve my senko skills and after reading some posts, I figured that I should put more emphasis on watching my line as the senko falls. But this brings a question to my mind: is senko fishing really as relatively close distance technique? I wonder if anyone can really see what their line is doing if they cast the senko 25 or 30 yards or more - even with hi-vis yellow line.

So here is my question for you senko line watchers: do you deliberately keep your casts pretty short in order to have a decent view of the line as the senko falls?

Thanks,

Backlash
I fish braid with a Flouro leader.

I watch my line as well as keep tuned into the feel while the baits is falling. Casting distance rarely enters into it if I use both sight and feel. Too often I will see my line jump and not feel a thing, while other times the line will not twitch but I'll sense a slight weight or tension on the line. Other times I will notice the fall rate of my braid as the bait descends increase (a fish has it), or I notice the line starts moving laterally.

Another tactic I learned is to not use my rod tip to impart action to the bait. My bite rate has improved if I cast and let the bait settle on it's own, watch my line and tune into the sensation imparted to the line and rod as the bait descends through the water column. I will slowly turn the reel handle (after that bait settles) to move the bait back rather than twitching the rod tip and taking up slack. The very slow retrieve of the bait using just the reel handle seems to provide me with a much more sensitive platform to detect an inhale or the slight resistance when a fish sucks it in and starts to crush it.

Cisco
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cisco » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:59 am

In my experience senkos are so full of salt bass will try and genuinely eat, swallow and digest them. Often time people gut hook bass because of this. If seen bass come in and bite broken pieces of senko on the bank just laying there with no action. Therefore, it's kind of a double edge sword. Senkos will give you extra time to watch your line, wait to set the hook and overall react slower; but it can harm the bass.

I weightless trig them and just toss them out and count down about 1ft per 3 seconds and then slowly start twitching and dragging them back. When I feel weight I reel in most of my slack line and you'll feel the bass swimming. They don't let go if senkos too often. Then set the hook as hard as possible. I use a st croix sc5 7ft heavy

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:44 am

I fish them a lot. I use a longer 7'-6" rod and make some far casts. I always watch the line. You watch for a tick on the line, sink rate to change, lateral movement, anything out of the norm. I dont always hold the line, but usually do and try to feel those ticks too. I'll cast as far as I need to. I have had fish inhale the bait with no response other than the line moving to the side before. It takes concentration to fish a senko effectively.

Nytron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Nytron » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:02 pm

Casting distance matters very little. Some of my biggest fish on weightless wacky and t-rig have come from far casts, and especially short casts.

Obviously it is the easiest to line watch if you are close enough to see the point at which the line enters the water. When you get a bite, the line will create a wake on the surface of the water without delay (no different than a bobber).

You can do this at any distance, especially with fluorocarbon. If you manage your slack precisely and note when the movement of your slack line changes its pace (speeds up, ticks, stops). Once you get the timing down, you know exactly what it looks like when the lure is sinking normally and when you have a bite.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:10 am

I nailed a 3.7 Monday on a Senko on a very far cast. Had the wind to my back and let it rip as far as I could into the middle of the pond. Let it sink to the bottom, popped it once and then felt the thump thump. It was pretty far out. Also hit one pretty close. It was a smaller fish, but I didnt feel a thing even holding the line, it just started moving away so I set the hook and ripped the fish out of the water :lol: Watch and feel!

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:44 am

Great article I read today, all of this applies to Senko fishing in my eyes.

http://www.wired2fish.com/how-to-detect ... n-fishing/

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Thu May 01, 2014 2:02 pm

I cast it as far as I possibly can most of the time, unless I am trying to hit a certain target. If you have a sensitive enough rod, with good line, you don't really have to watch. There's times I feel what's going on before I see the line start moving.

Mnbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mnbasser » Fri May 02, 2014 5:01 am

tywithay wrote:I cast it as far as I possibly can most of the time, unless I am trying to hit a certain target. If you have a sensitive enough rod, with good line, you don't really have to watch. There's times I feel what's going on before I see the line start moving.
Same here. And my eyes are far from the greatest so seeing line move on a cast I've launched isn't very easy at times. I usually feel the slightest change in pressure on my line before I see it move.

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Mon May 12, 2014 3:04 am

I had something giant take a Senko this weekend, but never got to see what it was... 3 options... LARGE bass, catfish or Tiger Musky . It dove deep while running sideways. It wasnt a vicious strike, just line watching and " The Thump". The mystery fish will haunt me! lol :crying: