power drop shotting

Is there any other species?
reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

power drop shotting

Post by reelblues » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:20 am

I want to try some drop shotting on the TN river and 8 lb line and tiny hook aren't going to get it done. Any of you using larger line, hooks and bait for some power shotting? What size line and hooks are you using?

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: power drop shotting

Post by toddmc » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:33 am

You can use any size that you want. I've caught fish on worms all the way up to 10" on the dropshot. I often step it up to 10lb. fluoro and Texas rigged 6" worms for night fishing in deep clear water. Quite a few guys fish 15lb. line and bigger hooks on the CA Delta when the fish suspend in the tules and the fish need to be moved away from the cover quickly.

Demoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Demoman » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:03 am

I've successfully drop shottes both large and smallmouth bass in the Great Lakes, using a Loomis BCFR 7'5" flipping rod, 20lb flouro, and a size 1 octopus hook nose hooked into a mini reaction innovations beaver or trick worm. Is it the ideal setup? Not hardly. I was pegging 1/2oz tungsten bullet weights upside down rather than using a traditional drop shot. A small variation of this on 12lb line and med casting rod would work a bit better. Also the pegged bullet sinkers are the bomb for keeping your drop shot from pulling up grass. Rig it with the pointed end up.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:55 am

Demoman wrote:I've successfully drop shottes both large and smallmouth bass in the Great Lakes, using a Loomis BCFR 7'5" flipping rod, 20lb flouro, and a size 1 octopus hook nose hooked into a mini reaction innovations beaver or trick worm. Is it the ideal setup? Not hardly. I was pegging 1/2oz tungsten bullet weights upside down rather than using a traditional drop shot. A small variation of this on 12lb line and med casting rod would work a bit better. Also the pegged bullet sinkers are the bomb for keeping your drop shot from pulling up grass. Rig it with the pointed end up.
Try tubes also if you haven't already. They have worked well for me in both the large and small sizes. They have a nice subtle action on the dropshot rig. I would imagine that there are some guys in your area throwing them on the dropshot.

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:07 am

The FOW you're fishing in makes a big difference , how deep are you fishing?

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:41 am

I have fished the bigger stuff from 1 to about 35 feet. I most often use 3/8oz. weights with bigger worms, creature baits, and tubes.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:00 am

I hope this helps. It can be done with a baitcaster rig.

http://www.bassmaster.com/power-drop-shotting-kvd#

Giqqo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Giqqo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:54 am

dropshotting is a very versatile technique. Choose whatever plastic you want and it can work...

Impreza619
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Impreza619 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:36 am

What bullet weight are yall guys using for the dropshot and how do you tie it?

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:51 am

I fish the Ca Delta, and use 12-17 lb fluoro, with a 3/8-3/4 oz sinker and anything from 4" to 18" drop down to the sinker, depending on the time of year, and the grass.
A fellow Club member turned me on to pitching/flipping a 3" fat worm on 17lb test in the spring and early summer, with a 3/4" sinker and a 4" let down, so the fish don't hit the sinker instead of the worm on the way down, and so the sinker doesn't wrap around the tules when it's pitched into them.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:48 pm

I do this A LOT. Have also swimbait-dropshotted. Very weird looking, put a 4.8" Keitech FAT on a Trokar 4/0 flipping hook (rigged exposed sticking out of the back) with a 1/2 dropshot weight, and threw it out and just reeled it like a Carolina rig. Have also rigged magnum flukes this way but weedless style (VMC 7/0 EWG) for striper.

My favorite "larger" dropshot though is more of a medium size lure, an Owner Downshot 3/0 with a basic sized craw or slightly bigger worm. With +12lb fluorocarbon though I still prefer a good wide gapped (distance between point and shank, not EWG style) straight shank rigged weedless on bigger lures. A 5/0 Gamakatsu straight shank will still get a good hook set easily on a more power dropshot style setup, even when rigged fairly weedless for me.