Bigger Bass and Personal Best...???

Is there any other species?
Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Bigger Bass and Personal Best...???

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:22 am

Fall and Spring are definitely your best times to catch it. Personally, I love to throw a jig above all else. I caught my PB Largemouth of 6.5lbs this spring on a 1/4oz Keitech M1 casting jig.

BassTrap316
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by BassTrap316 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:41 am

Many of my bigger fish have come on spinnerbaits. I live in northern Wisconsin, and catch several fish a year in the six pound range on them. Jigs produce many larger fish for me as well.

However, I'd say the most important factor for the size of fish, is the waters I fish. If a lake around here doesn't have many big fish, you won't catch a lot of them (duh). Find a good quality body of water, and put your time in.
Do you hear His call? John 3:16

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:44 pm

BassTrap316 wrote:Many of my bigger fish have come on spinnerbaits. I live in northern Wisconsin, and catch several fish a year in the six pound range on them. Jigs produce many larger fish for me as well.

However, I'd say the most important factor for the size of fish, is the waters I fish. If a lake around here doesn't have many big fish, you won't catch a lot of them (duh). Find a good quality body of water, and put your time in.
Great point. You can't catch what isn't there. :lol: Anyway, welcome aboard! On behalf of the staff, we hope you enjoy the forum. 8-) btw, I like spinnerbaits, too. My PB,13-2, came on a Stanley Vibrashaft dual-willow blade.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

mwh33
Angler
Angler

Post by mwh33 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:07 pm

I have caught most of my fish that are 7 lbs + on jigs and large worms Texas rigged usually around some kind of cover or a ledge. Big jigs with trailers, big worms (7 inch senkos, 10 inch power worms). A few years ago, I think I lost my largest fish while fishing a rocky ledge with a large swimjig with a swimbait trailer. I still dream about that fish. I couldn't even turn the handle on my chronarch e and the fish kept ripping off line until it broke.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:08 am

My biggest documented bass so far came off of a Strike King Rage Blade in the fall working weedy flats. It was a 6.2lb smallmouth. The fall is insane for catching numbers of 3-4lb smallmouth. When you see 4 and 5lb bass trying to rob each other all the way to the boat, it is insane.

During the fall, I use moving baits to find schools of smallmouth and then work the school. As much fun as 3lb smallmouth are, I will skip that school to find a school with larger fish. I found smallmouth school up with fish that are similar in size. In the late fall, I'm looking for my new PB, not adding numbers. There have been some days where I passed up a couple of those 3lb schools and then got skunked fire the rest of the day. The woulda, coulda, shoulda really kicks in there.

I did catch a few really big largemouth but I didn't have a scale. I think 1 may have been around 6.25lb but I will never know.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:07 pm

Location helps a lot. My favorite spot today is a 1,000 acre "invisible" lake. It's not listed on the map (I don't know why?), and there is no boat ramp! Very little fishing pressure. I catch 7 to 13 lb. bass every other trip. It's like cheating!