New Bass Fishing Techniques

Is there any other species?
papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

New Bass Fishing Techniques

Post by papabassin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:14 am

Are there any new techniques you would like to try in 2017? Or...is there maybe one you'd like to make a concentrated effort to get better at and do more of?

ayo8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New Bass Fishing Techniques

Post by ayo8 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:22 am

I would like to make a concentrated effort to get out on the lake more often :D

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:36 am

I'd like to refine my deep cranking skills.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:52 am

As a tournament fisherman, it seems like you can't ever discount any techniques. I try to identify techniques that are new, or older techniques that I feel need some of the rust off, at the beginning of each season. I make an effort, whenever reasonable, to spend more time with these techniques. It's a matter of pride when it comes to being able to fish as many techniques as possible.
I even take far away trips to lakes that are known for a certain technique just so that I can work on it.
I think that I need to break out the old extra deep jerkbaits and try the neko rig this year.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:38 pm

Since I just moved way down south to Alabama, I'll need to learn how to fish a jig. That, and using my spybait setup more since I had a rod built specifically for that particular technique. So far I've only caught one fish on a spybait but it was a lot of fun catching that little guy on a lighter rod! I can't imagine what a bigger fish is going to feel like on there!

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:26 pm

My top water game needs serious help.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:13 pm

Are there any new bass fishing techniques I'd like to try this season? - yes, dynamite! :lol: I'm joking!

Shady Banks
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Shady Banks » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:29 pm

Not a new technique, but I'm going to try braid on all of my cranking setups and see how it does.

I have always used 50 lb braid on my trap rods but never tried braid on my other cranking rods. I think I will try 30 lb PP first and see if I like it.

soulfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by soulfisher » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:48 pm

Shady Banks wrote:Not a new technique, but I'm going to try braid on all of my cranking setups and see how it does.

I have always used 50 lb braid on my trap rods but never tried braid on my other cranking rods. I think I will try 30 lb PP first and see if I like it.
I made that switch last year and I was pleased with results while throwing balsas at night. The only down side for me was at times I pulled the treble hook loose when I was in a situation where i had to turn a decent size fish's head and the braid doesn't stretch or forgive during a quick change in direction . After I pulled a couple of hooks, I started trying single hooks and that solved the hook pulling issue. I dont have enough time with the single hooks to say if I am missing strikes due to the single hook. Everything is a compromise i suppose.

dirtygeary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dirtygeary » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:04 pm

ayo8 wrote:I would like to make a concentrated effort to get out on the lake more often :D
LOL, I second this thought! :big grin:

gambergl1
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by gambergl1 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:17 pm

Sight fishing for sure!

johnnybass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johnnybass » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:48 am

Spybaiting. Hasn't worked for me yet but with the suspended fish in my local lakes, it's gotta work. I also need to give the neko rig more of a chance. Looks too good to not work.

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:59 am

Big baits. Giving them something a little different in the Northeast this year.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:55 pm

I need to step up my jig game big time. I am hoping my new Bearing Down will inspire me to throw them more.

I have a bunch of new modifications for my Ned rig fishing, going to try using larger versions, and see if I can catch larger fish.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:15 am

Shady Banks wrote:Not a new technique, but I'm going to try braid on all of my cranking setups and see how it does.

I would suggest using a mono leader on a braid main line for this. You'll have the "shock absorption" benefit that mono will give you plus the benefits braid offers. In fact I run braid with mono leader on every rig I have, only the diameter changes from one to the other.