6.3 for Texas rigs?

Is there any other species?
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

6.3 for Texas rigs?

Post by poisonokie » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:59 am

What do you think? Does that make any sense in today's world of 7's, 8's, & 9's?
This is the way.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 6.3 for Texas rigs?

Post by cortman » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:20 pm

poisonokie wrote:What do you think? Does that make any sense in today's world of 7's, 8's, & 9's?
I have interest in this question as well. I can think of one application where that would be nice, that is slow dragging Texas or Carolina rigs. But for most other things I kind of like having that faster gear ratio.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:37 pm

6.3:1 was considered "high speed" up until about 10 years ago. It worked then so why wouldn't it work now.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:43 pm

Big-Bass wrote:6.3:1 was considered "high speed" up until about 10 years ago. It worked then so why wouldn't it work now.
Very true, but I think the question is more is it still a good choice now that we have many more high speed options?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:23 am

I used a 9.1 Zillion for C-Rigs, but 5/8 and above the torque just wasn't there, so I moved to an 8 speed. The 8 speed was okay, but 1oz Carolina weights took a little too much input (not a big deal, just don't want the bait all herky-jerky). Finally moved to a 7 speed and am much happier now. Personally I wouldn't go below 7 for almost anything, but I don't think a 6 speed for bottom contacts would be a fail, all the pros did it not too long ago.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:16 am

cortman wrote:
Big-Bass wrote:6.3:1 was considered "high speed" up until about 10 years ago. It worked then so why wouldn't it work now.
Very true, but I think the question is more is it still a good choice now that we have many more high speed options?
Exactly. The thing is I wound up with a NIB Zillion SV, but it's a 6.3 and I ordered a 7.3 for my t rig rod. I can send it back for a refund, but it's worth more than that even as a shelf queen. Everything i use a 6.3 for is covered, and i don't want to depreciate it just to see if i think fishing texas and jika rigs with it will put smile on my face or make me wish I'd have gotten a 7.3 somehow.
DirtyD64 wrote:I used a 9.1 Zillion for C-Rigs, but 5/8 and above the torque just wasn't there, so I moved to an 8 speed. The 8 speed was okay, but 1oz Carolina weights took a little too much input (not a big deal, just don't want the bait all herky-jerky). Finally moved to a 7 speed and am much happier now. Personally I wouldn't go below 7 for almost anything, but I don't think a 6 speed for bottom contacts would be a fail, all the pros did it not too long ago.
When i fish a c rig, i do it with an 8.1 tat, but I always use 3/4 oz of brass, so it's not that bad unless I get into a lot of cabbage. The big gears on Tatulas and Zillion TWS help a lot in that respect. I have 9.1 Zillion and all it sees is flipping/pitching duty because youre right, the torque isn't there.

As far as the t rig goes, I'm just afraid of missing hooksets. I use a 7.3 zillion tws which brings in 32" per crank right now, and it's great, but it's a heavy duty reel I'd rather use on my jig rod. And i want to take the 7.1 T3 ballistic off of it and make it my travel reel for my ardito... Decisions decisions.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:18 am

I guess I'll just drop 40-50 bucks for a 7.3 gear set if i decide a 6.3 is too slow. I'll still be way below retail and can switch it back should the need arise. Maybe I'll get a red handle nut plate and mag-dial too. It would look sweet with the gold CCC and nitride line guide, kinda like the zillion hd.
This is the way.

johnnybass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johnnybass » Thu May 11, 2017 5:43 am

Unless you need the additional power, I don't see the point of slower speed reels. I just reel slower for low speed lure applications. I even read an article somewhere about how high speed reels are better for deep cranking as it lets you catch up to the fish better on a strike coming towards you.

Also, I think higher speeds are more popular now as there are mostly smaller diameter spools versus 10 years ago.

gailt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gailt » Sun May 14, 2017 1:04 am

johnnybass wrote:Unless you need the additional power, I don't see the point of slower speed reels. I just reel slower for low speed lure applications. I even read an article somewhere about how high speed reels are better for deep cranking as it lets you catch up to the fish better on a strike coming towards you.

Also, I think higher speeds are more popular now as there are mostly smaller diameter spools versus 10 years ago.
I
I believe you hit the nail on the head.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon May 29, 2017 12:05 pm

I grew up fishing a lot of 4 and 5 ratio reels. Fished a lot of plastics on those reels and did just fine. I will agree that in todays world I prefer a bit faster if given the choice mainly to take up slack line quickly when I feel the bite so I can make sure I get a good hook set. With that said I have 2 Daiwa TDZ 100m reles with the 6:3 gears and fish jigs and plastics on them. Haven't had any issues and a month a go while using one of them I was able to go 7 for 7 on bites felt and fish landed.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Tue May 30, 2017 5:02 pm

By that logic, a bi-plane was fine back then, why wouldn't it be fine for today's warfare? If the technology is available and doesn't cost more for a faster speed, i dont see why you wouldn't want to go faster. It is easy to slow down on a faster speed ratio, but very hard the other way around.

fishermun
Angler
Angler

Post by fishermun » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:00 am

I would get something a little faster so you can get them out of cover quicker.

cpvince
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by cpvince » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:44 pm

If it were for an all-around setup, I don't see why not. But if it were to be used on a dedicated rod/reel combo for t-rigs then I'd definitely go at least 7.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:53 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:I used a 9.1 Zillion for C-Rigs, but 5/8 and above the torque just wasn't there, so I moved to an 8 speed. The 8 speed was okay, but 1oz Carolina weights took a little too much input (not a big deal, just don't want the bait all herky-jerky). Finally moved to a 7 speed and am much happier now. Personally I wouldn't go below 7 for almost anything, but I don't think a 6 speed for bottom contacts would be a fail, all the pros did it not too long ago.
yep, same experience here. Had Abu Revo Rocket. Super high speed but the torque was just not there. Switched it to a 7.9:1 (SV103) and am happy now!

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:13 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
yep, same experience here. Had Abu Revo Rocket. Super high speed but the torque was just not there. Switched it to a 7.9:1 (SV103) and am happy now!
Strange thing about that is, a 7.9 SV103 recovers like 34 inches per turn while the Revo Rocket recovers only 37 inches per turn, that might be a quality of gears/frame issue. I know my Revo Winch recovered 22 inches per turn (5.4 ratio) and my friends 5.5 Zillion TWS (recovers 24IPT) absolutely stomped it for torque. Really wish I had bought a 5.5 Zillion TWS when they were selling new for like $135.