Fishing the dog days of August

Is there any other species?
Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Fishing the dog days of August

Post by Rodster14 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:22 am

When it gets really hot and the fishing gets difficult, what is your best tactic?

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Fishing the dog days of August

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:51 pm

1. Fish early and/or late
2. Sloooooooooow it down
3. I am not necessarily down sizing per se, but I play around with different sizes
4. More finesse applications (Carolina Rig, Drop Shot, Wacky...)

runmax08
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by runmax08 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:11 pm

Here in Georgia it depends on the condition and body of water. Normally i will fish earlier and pre sunlight if you can.
I will fish surface baits the first 2 hours of daylight. I rather catch fish on the surface than any other method.

I will fish deep water if i have to fish during the day. (9:00 AM onward)

ayo8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ayo8 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:35 pm

Here in Arizona it can get up to 115-117 degrees in August (water is boiling) but that doesn't stop bass from biting in the evening throughout the night early morning (4p-8am) Im sure they bite midday in deeper cooler clear water, but its too damn hot, for me. If you havent felt 117 on your skin, you probably dont know what im talking about.

@anyrate, nothing beats soft plastics and crankbaits during the hottest months, in my experience.

Best tactic is wait till the sun goes down a bit, or if the sun is out and the water is clear, fish deeper, or look for places (docks, underwater foliage, shaded areas) that bass can get away from the brutal sun. You will always find them kicking back in the shaded areas when its hot.