How many wraps for Alberto knot

Is there any other species?
Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

How many wraps for Alberto knot

Post by Rodster14 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:14 am

Does more wraps make the knot stronger (30 lb Sufix 832 braid to mono)?I would think so, but it seems the more wraps I use, the more often I will break. My guides are small, so maybe it is catching on the guides and weakening the knot. What do you think?

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: How many wraps for Alberto knot

Post by adam lancia » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:18 am

If your using too many wraps, not all of the cross overs will tighten fully on the leader and will cause others to take more pressure than they should. Line size and for are the two biggest factors I've found. Thicker fluoride and braid, I can do 8 wraps and be fine. Thinner leader and braid requires a little more finesse, but I can still use ten wraps most ofuf thetirme as long as I keep the cross overs loose, especially at the end of the knot away from the reel. I find this keeps those crops offers from tightening too much too early which causes my knots to fail when I test them before tying a lure on.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:42 am

10 up and 10 down for me :)

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:39 am

7 works for me, never used mono though. I use 30lb Sufix 832 Neon Lime (not that color matters) linked to 10lb HiSeas Fluoro. I used and still use the uni-uni knot, just recently I moved that reel to a micro guide rod though and started the alberto for easier leader passing.

It is just kind of a what I feel like situation though, I fish looser drag on more finesse tactics and have never had an issue with either. I make sure to use heavy spit though and carefully cinch down the knot, it also seems important to have everything not twisted and looped crooked at any stage of tying.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:29 am

With heavier line I usually do 6-7 wraps up and down. When I'm tying thinner diameter line for finesse like for example 15 pound braid to 6-8 pound fluoro, 7-8 wraps. I've never had an issue with line breaking at the connection. My line usually breaks before the knot does if I set the drag too tight when finesse fishing like a drop shot.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:09 pm

If one flosses his or her teeth, they know that one wrap around each finger and it will slip; two wraps and it is pretty secure; three wraps and it is very well anchored. All that this tells us is that there is a diminishing return for the wraps we put in an Albright or Alberto, really in all knots relying on barrel wraps.

I'm normally tying a main line of 10 lbs. braid (832) and 8 lbs. fluorocarbon (Invizx) and I use 9 wraps with each wrap being layered accurately (more line friction) and then I make no more than 3 wraps returning to exit the loop and terminate the knot.

I have found no advantages by using more than this. And, the issue with more wraps is a larger knot and the issues related to casting and retrieving it.

One tip for a good Alberto/Albright is to NOT tighten down by pulling on the tag end of the leader aggressively. The braid is attempting to "cut in" to the softer leader materials, mono or fluoro, and if you pull down on the tag end, it flattens the material and un-seats the embedded braid, gives it less bite.

Brad

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:49 am

Brad in Texas wrote:If one flosses his or her teeth, they know that one wrap around each finger and it will slip; two wraps and it is pretty secure; three wraps and it is very well anchored. All that this tells us is that there is a diminishing return for the wraps we put in an Albright or Alberto, really in all knots relying on barrel wraps.

I'm normally tying a main line of 10 lbs. braid (832) and 8 lbs. fluorocarbon (Invizx) and I use 9 wraps with each wrap being layered accurately (more line friction) and then I make no more than 3 wraps returning to exit the loop and terminate the knot.

I have found no advantages by using more than this. And, the issue with more wraps is a larger knot and the issues related to casting and retrieving it.

One tip for a good Alberto/Albright is to NOT tighten down by pulling on the tag end of the leader aggressively. The braid is attempting to "cut in" to the softer leader materials, mono or fluoro, and if you pull down on the tag end, it flattens the material and un-seats the embedded braid, gives it less bite.

Brad
So youdo 9 wraps up then 3 back? I'll have to try that.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:52 pm

Adam, yes, and my 3 wraps on the way back and out to terminate the knot are just to twist the line in a manner to keep the 9 original wraps seated correctly, not so much to supply additional friction from "line to line" contact.

One pro angler I saw a video of not long ago has completely eliminated the "back wraps" and sees no difference in the junction knot's strength. This is what I have found, too.

Brad

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:47 am

Thanks for the clarification Brad. There's another knot that is sort of like an Alberto without the initial wraps, it's called an Albright Special. I haven't found it to be great with lighter line though, but I'm going to toy with it some more.

duon0035
Angler
Angler

Post by duon0035 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:47 pm

Usually 10 for me.

BuzzB8
Angler
Angler

Post by BuzzB8 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:24 am

Using 15-20 lb braid to8lb fluoro I wrap 4 up and 4 down and have never had a break at knot.Also this keeps knot size to a minimum when you have micro guides.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:54 pm

BuzzB8 wrote:Using 15-20 lb braid to8lb fluoro I wrap 4 up and 4 down and have never had a break at knot.Also this keeps knot size to a minimum when you have micro guides.
This. I think I usually do 5 up, 5 dn. I'm gonna try doing the 9 ip, 3 dn, though. That's intriguing. I'll probably start with 6 or 7 up, 3 dn just to see. I know if I try doing too many it almost never works. If I do manage to get it seated, it'll break easy.
This is the way.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:00 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:I make sure to use heavy spit though and carefully cinch down the knot, it also seems important to have everything not twisted and looped crooked at any stage of tying.
This ^^^^^ Regardless of the knot, if it's not perfect and symmetrical and looks like it should be on the cover of a magazine it will fail on you. And, as mentioned, it has to be sopping wet before cinching it down.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:15 pm

uljersey wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:I make sure to use heavy spit though and carefully cinch down the knot, it also seems important to have everything not twisted and looped crooked at any stage of tying.
This ^^^^^ Regardless of the knot, if it's not perfect and symmetrical and looks like it should be on the cover of a magazine it will fail on you. And, as mentioned, it has to be sopping wet before cinching it down.
Ironic you quoted me on that, have been having some trouble tying Albo's in the boat lately, had one break when casting and another while pulling a snag. Both on very light line applications though, 8lb Sufix 832 and 7lb Sunline. Just tied it wrong I guess. I still have NEVER had a double uni fail me, just a bigger connection knot going through the guides...

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:59 pm

Been tying the Shin Fukae "lazy" alberto for the past season...not one failure from 6lb to 20lb floro. I don't even tie FGs anymore...no unraveling of the braid tag end, flies through guides fine.

Not having to overlap wraps = 100% correct cinch every time.