Micro bass jig BFS rod

Is there any other species?
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Micro bass jig BFS rod

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:07 pm

Anyone know when Major Craft's Corzza series or the cheaper BFS style rods will be back??? Though I still haven't even used my Proflex 2, I can tell I would want a touch more power for the Keitech style finesse jigs and maybe the weedless swimbaits I use.

I told myself I would never own a 2 piece rod, but it is actually nice to have something I can pack in the car for now and fish creeks/ponds. The Major Crafts would actually still work as I have managed a 6'6" rod before.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:53 am

I throw lots of 1/16 and 1/8oz jigs and I use Major Craft Benkei 672L/BF rod and Abu ALC-BF7 reel spooled up with 8lb Fluoro. Love the combo because the Abu has a awesome drag and super light spool and the Benkei rod for me is the perfect Fast action and backbone mix for jigs, then to top it all off they look awesome together.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:57 am

Edward78 wrote:I throw lots of 1/16 and 1/8oz jigs and I use Major Craft Benkei 672L/BF rod and Abu ALC-BF7 reel spooled up with 8lb Fluoro. Love the combo because the Abu has a awesome drag and super light spool and the Benkei rod for me is the perfect Fast action and backbone mix for jigs, then to top it all off they look awesome together.
Any idea which of their newer rods match the Benkei 672L???

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:51 am

This. I hope. I gave up the Volkey 68L in favor of the MS-X 65L. It's lighter, more crisp, more sensitive, and better balanced. Should get a LOT of use in the coming year.

This is the way.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:48 am

I have a jdm 6'5" light cronos rod that makes for an excellent small jig rod, I also have the edge inshore 6'6" L XF that i use for small jigs. Both are excellent and can be had for relatively cheap.

My favorite small jig is also the keitech mono spin jig, 1/16 in bluegill tiger color is very productive here. It looks like a big honkin wolf spider which are plentiful around these parts and just about every fish that swims around here seems to dislike them as much as I do and attacks almost instantly.

nstd
Angler
Angler

Post by nstd » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:27 pm

poisonokie wrote:This. I hope. I gave up the Volkey 68L in favor of the MS-X 65L. It's lighter, more crisp, more sensitive, and better balanced. Should get a LOT of use in the coming year.

Where did you get the backpack?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:00 pm

Lol, that's just a patch I got at Bass Pro years ago. It sat around until I got that pack at a surplus type store. It's made by Fox Tactical I think and I paid $40 for it. I just put Velcro on the patch and boom, instant Owner pack.
This is the way.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:11 am

poisonokie wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:51 am
This. I hope. I gave up the Volkey 68L in favor of the MS-X 65L. It's lighter, more crisp, more sensitive, and better balanced. Should get a LOT of use in the coming year.

How has this Combo been treating you, I have the same reel and I ended getting a Phenix Feather 7'1" ML rod for it and am in love with the combo, 8.5 oz combo spooled up with 8lb Seaguar Red.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:10 pm

Edward78 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:11 am
How has this Combo been treating you, I have the same reel and I ended getting a Phenix Feather 7'1" ML rod for it and am in love with the combo, 8.5 oz combo spooled up with 8lb Seaguar Red.
Well, I wound up putting that reel on the 68ML/BF and getting an Alphas Air for this 65L/BF. The SV Light/68ML/8# Invizx combo has been awesome. It casts light baits effortlessly, has excellent feel, hook setting power, and balance like the scales of Justice herself. I love it. I've caught a few nice fighters on it no sweat. The rod weighs 3.5oz and I'm not sure what the reel weighs spooled with line and with Hedgehog micro ceramics, which I think add a little weight.
This is the way.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:04 pm

Major Craft Benkei BIC-672L/BF with a old Shimano 01 Conquest 51 spooled with 8lb SunLine Sniper was killing it today with a 3/16 oz black & blue finesse jig.

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:43 pm

For a less expensive option look for the Abu Garcia Mass Beat III…6’6”, L power, moderate action, 2 piece, 2-8 g weight range, it weighs only 82 grams! Paired with the Aldebaran BFS my combo weighs 7.7 ounces which is only 17 grams heavier than the Calcutta Conquest BFS alone!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:39 am

Old thread revival :lol: .

Nowadays, I would choose the Dobyns Sierra Ultra Finesse BFS rod. Great finesse rod made for bass fishing, not just a light spinning rod with a trigger.

Rod is sensitive, great taper and under $200.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

kaiser
Angler
Angler

Post by kaiser » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:26 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:10 pm
Took a leap of faith and ordered the new Missle Baits Ike's Micro Jig in 1/16oz and 3/16oz. 2 come per pack. Ordered from Tackle Warehouse.

The 1/16oz was smaller than I though it would be...and it is sweet. Perfect size for using a "bigger" profile yet, still has a hook that will for in their mouths. I meant to be use it as a NED head but, it will be with my panfish gear. Also has a removable weed guard, which is not super stiff and will bend out of the way easily for panfish. Will make a SWEET gill and crappie jig. Will work well with a NED rig too.

Worthy contender for BFS jigs.
Have you done any fishing with them yet? Curious to as what conditions you see yourself throwing them in.

I tried using these guys, but didn't have much luck with bass, mainly caught bluegill up shallow. Don't have much confidence throwing them in anything deeper than 7-8ft.