Micro bass jig BFS rod

Is there any other species?
Isaiah20
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Micro bass jig BFS rod

Post by Isaiah20 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:36 pm

Hello gentlemen,

I am trying to put together a BFS rig for the newer 1/16-1/8 oz bass jigs. Rod, reel, and line. Please offer your suggestions.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Micro bass jig BFS rod

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:14 pm

I use a St Croix Legend Elite 7ft Light. It's will work perfect for what you need. It's a custom rod I built.

As far as reel, there are plenty of BFS reels out there now. Alphas AIR will be a good choice.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:43 am

I've got multiple combos for that but my favorites would be my 6'8" L BFS Poison Glorious Long Distance with a 12 Aldebaran BFS XG and my 6'5" L BFS Expride with a Aldebaran Mg-7 or 16 Aldebaran BFS XG. If I were to buy a new combo today, it would be the new 6'8" L BFS Expride with a 16 Aldebaran BFS XG. All of the combos would have either 8 or 10LB Sunline Shooter Sniper FC.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:41 pm

John G wrote:I've got multiple combos for that but my favorites would be my 6'8" L BFS Poison Glorious Long Distance with a 12 Aldebaran BFS XG and my 6'5" L BFS Expride with a Aldebaran Mg-7 or 16 Aldebaran BFS XG. If I were to buy a new combo today, it would be the new 6'8" L BFS Expride with a 16 Aldebaran BFS XG. All of the combos would have either 8 or 10LB Sunline Shooter Sniper FC.
I agree with this. I am running a Aldebaran BFS XG with a 6-9 Major Craft Volkey L for 1/16oz and 1/8oz J n P's. It is a really sweet set up.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:31 am

earthworm77 wrote:
John G wrote:I've got multiple combos for that but my favorites would be my 6'8" L BFS Poison Glorious Long Distance with a 12 Aldebaran BFS XG and my 6'5" L BFS Expride with a Aldebaran Mg-7 or 16 Aldebaran BFS XG. If I were to buy a new combo today, it would be the new 6'8" L BFS Expride with a 16 Aldebaran BFS XG. All of the combos would have either 8 or 10LB Sunline Shooter Sniper FC.
I agree with this. I am running a Aldebaran BFS XG with a 6-9 Major Craft Volkey L for 1/16oz and 1/8oz J n P's. It is a really sweet set up.
What's the action like on that Volkey? I have the 68L/bfs and it's a pretty fast, fairly stiff stick. It has a nice tip and plenty of backbone.

Too bad they're hard to come by because that's what I would suggest. It works well for hardbaits, but it really shines with finesse single hook baits. I'd think an Alphas Air with 8# fluoro would be THE reel for it, but I don't have one. Yet. I'm going from a T3 SV to an SV Light on mine. I think I'd rather have the Alphas and use the SV Light on my 65ML MS-X, which is another great choice for finesse jigs, among a litany of other things. You might look for a Light BFS or Basic Series MC Benkei or Speed Style if you haven't yet pulled the trigger. Good luck!
This is the way.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:09 am

It is xfast in my opinion. I throw jigs on it all the time.
I also have the 6-8 or 6-9 UL Volkey, it is a bit slower, that is the rod I throw single hooked cranks on, it is perfect for that.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:40 pm

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2378678748

Never used one from this series, but I'm sure they're no slouch if you don't mind a two piece.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:43 pm

earthworm77 wrote:It is xfast in my opinion. I throw jigs on it all the time.
I also have the 6-8 or 6-9 UL Volkey, it is a bit slower, that is the rod I throw single hooked cranks on, it is perfect for that.
I'd love to compare the basic series and bfs series Volkey rods of the same rating side by side. They really are excellent rods. I still feel like $150 shipped was a freakin' steal.
This is the way.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:32 pm

I've got a few Corzza's. I really like them too. The Volkey is a better all around rod in my opinion. I think I heard from somewhere that the Corzza was designed as a replacement series to the Volkey.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:10 pm

Took a leap of faith and ordered the new Missle Baits Ike's Micro Jig in 1/16oz and 3/16oz. 2 come per pack. Ordered from Tackle Warehouse.

The 1/16oz was smaller than I though it would be...and it is sweet. Perfect size for using a "bigger" profile yet, still has a hook that will for in their mouths. I meant to be use it as a NED head but, it will be with my panfish gear. Also has a removable weed guard, which is not super stiff and will bend out of the way easily for panfish. Will make a SWEET gill and crappie jig. Will work well with a NED rig too.

Worthy contender for BFS jigs.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:05 pm

I've been eyeing those. Next time I drop $50 on TW they'll be in my cart for sure. Still love the keitechs, though. The only ones I had were lost to snags. The mono jig might even work for trout.
This is the way.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:33 pm

poisonokie wrote:I've been eyeing those. Next time I drop $50 on TW they'll be in my cart for sure. Still love the keitechs, though. The only ones I had were lost to snags. The mono jig might even work for trout.
I too like the mono jigs. I caught a lot of gills with them. I had the head break off on one. Wasnt after many fish either. These are a little bigger than the mono jigs.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:27 am

poisonokie wrote:I've been eyeing those. Next time I drop $50 on TW they'll be in my cart for sure. Still love the keitechs, though. The only ones I had were lost to snags. The mono jig might even work for trout.
Funny, for Black Friday, I ordered a ton of the Guard Spin Tungsten Keitech jigs (Dark Green Pumpkin and Green Pumpkin is all they have anymore) in 5/32. Absolutely drive smallmouth crazy.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:45 pm

poisonokie wrote:
earthworm77 wrote:
What's the action like on that Volkey? I have the 68L/bfs and it's a pretty fast, fairly stiff stick. It has a nice tip and plenty of backbone.

Too bad they're hard to come by because that's what I would suggest. It works well for hardbaits, but it really shines with finesse single hook baits. I'd think an Alphas Air with 8# fluoro would be THE reel for it, but I don't have one. Yet. I'm going from a T3 SV to an SV Light on mine. I think I'd rather have the Alphas and use the SV Light on my 65ML MS-X, which is another great choice for finesse jigs, among a litany of other things. You might look for a Light BFS or Basic Series MC Benkei or Speed Style if you haven't yet pulled the trigger. Good luck!

I picked up a 682L Speedstyle BFS before X Mas and I've used it a few times this year. My opinion is that it is dead on accurate to the 682L Volkey.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:07 pm

Anyone know when Major Craft's Corzza series or the cheaper BFS style rods will be back??? Though I still haven't even used my Proflex 2, I can tell I would want a touch more power for the Keitech style finesse jigs and maybe the weedless swimbaits I use.

I told myself I would never own a 2 piece rod, but it is actually nice to have something I can pack in the car for now and fish creeks/ponds. The Major Crafts would actually still work as I have managed a 6'6" rod before.