How often do you all retie your knots?

Is there any other species?
DetroitBassN
Angler
Angler

How often do you all retie your knots?

Post by DetroitBassN » Thu May 16, 2019 3:43 pm

I was curious how often and when do you fellow anglers retie your knots on your rig? After every catch? Every outing?? Just curious cus I retie after every catch unless I don’t catch anything then I just keep my rig tied up to a snap.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: How often do you all retie your knots?

Post by ShimanoFan » Fri May 17, 2019 5:20 am

I use braid so not after every cast. Usually I check it after a few fish and then retie.

I can go longer if I had solid eye hooks. If it is a bent over eye with gap, then checking more often is very necessary.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri May 17, 2019 6:24 am

I have gone all day, and over 50 fish, and never retied a knot (unless line is broken by a toothy critter). I personally love to see how much abuse a line can take, and how long a knot can hold. I guess Im doing something right with my knots, and choosing the right line. I have had braid and mono roughed up pretty bad, and tested the limits to see when its gonna give up. Im still waiting. I will say this, that after every outing, whichever reels Im using, they get taken off the rod and cleaned before putting away. So there is a new knot tied on each reel before the outing, usually the night before. But, unless I have a hook straighten or bend, I will not retie until the line breaks. Again, I like to test the abuse of the line Im using so I know its limits, and Im still waiting...
<")))><{

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:42 am

Depends on the fishing (inshore or fresh), but typically mid point during the day. Inshore, if we're around oyster beds, more often.

DetroitBassN
Angler
Angler

Post by DetroitBassN » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:46 am

I fish for bass only and always use #1 or 2 snap to a polymer knot. Was just curious how often I really should retie I’ve been doing after I land every fish.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:06 am

Never
Never ever. I use line that doesn’t require retying
Just to cut the knot takes an hour
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

DetroitBassN
Angler
Angler

Post by DetroitBassN » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:13 am

I just use clippers, super fast

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:34 am

I don't have a set "after x amount of fish" or "after x amount of minutes." I just check my line and knot for fraying every so often and re-tie accordingly.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:56 am

papabassin wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:34 am
I don't have a set "after x amount of fish" or "after x amount of minutes." I just check my line and knot for fraying every so often and re-tie accordingly.
I agree.
With 17-20 lb fluoro I check the line after each fish for fraying or nicks.
With 50 lb braid on spinnerbaits and chatterbaits, after several good fish (3 lbs and up).
With 80 lb braid, after a really good fish (5 lb and up), or when I change the hook or sinker.
I know the line and the knots are really strong. I recently had to break off a drop shot rig of 50 lb braid and 17 lb fluoro leader, joined with an improved Albright knot, when I snagged a tree, and the line broke at the hook knot. I had to really pull on the line with it wrapped around my gloved hand to get it to break.
When I fished 8 and 12 lb fluoro in clear lakes, I retied more often. With those lighter lines, I didn't want to lose a fish because I was too lazy to retie.

Impreza619
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Impreza619 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:29 pm

Inspect for nicks or frays every fish and trim leader and retie when needed. also check hooks for damage depending on how heavy you are fishing.