Ledge Fishing help

Is there any other species?
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Ledge Fishing help

Post by goldrod » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:47 pm

It’s hot and it’s going to be hotter
I’m strapped for time but this summer it’s one or two rods and me looking to catch fish off ledges ONLY.
I need help for those experienced in this technique. I’m only using bottom contact baits for now. It’s the Valkyrie 7’1” spiral wrapped rod 15# floro Daiwa Steez sv with R+ Steez 100? Spool

Looking for a second set up and looking to use and tips on how to find ledges with electronics. This off shore fishing is my challenge this summer and I appreciate any and all help
I don’t have talons on my boat yet but I’m in deeper water too. I hope the wind doesn’t beat me up too bad. I have read that wind turns them on.? Is there any truth to that?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Backlashed
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Ledge Fishing help

Post by Backlashed » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:01 am

Absolutely the wind makes a difference. Moves baitfish, provides cover (my lakes are pretty clear), As for equipment, I use three types:
Cranking Rod (any moderate and/or glass rod over 7'4 with a nice bend) with a low gear ratio reel
Jigging/Worm Rod...standard MH to H, 7-7'6" with any reel speed you like (I prefer fast)
LtMed-Med Spinning setup for dropshot (this works, try it)

Electronics are the big part.
I've taken on the same challenge. I use a 1 foot increment chip for my mapping. First places I look are where the lines are the closest together on my mapping (CMap chip in a Lowrance). If there is a turn or horseshoe in the drop, even better. The ledges that have grass at the top of them, or midway down the ledge, are the places that hold the most fish. The steeper the wall/drop, the better. If it joins with a grass flat, that intersection of the wall and the flat usually is the most likely spot for a bite. My fish have left deep, open water completely, and are in grass in the deepest water they can find with grass.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Ledge Fishing help

Post by goldrod » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:54 am

thanks
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible