What’s Your CrankBait System

Is there any other species?
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

What’s Your CrankBait System

Post by goldrod » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:22 am

I was watching some crankbait videos and the guy often used the term crankbait system which prompted me to look up the word system. Additionally I saw a few other videos that used the same term. All these guys had multiple rods and some of them were the same rod and reels but different line size and some simply had a diverse selection for different crankbaits.

As I looked at my crankbait setups I could see a system that I had used but never really thought about it like that. Similar to 3 gun competition in that your using the appropriate tool to complete the task at hand, in the crankbait world the , line size and type, rod, and reel make up that single tool.

My bandit 100-200 style baits which are 1/4 ounce are fished exclusively with a D5 / cork medium crucial crankbait rod
I need to look at some others but if I’m not getting bit with this setup I’ll shift to my medium heavy Cork crucial TDZ-M ( upgraded level wind ) with 12lb floro and the IP79 spool for DT6 ( loving this setup )
DT10 st croix 7’4” glass rod TDZ-M (14lb floro) long cast spool upgraded level wind and of course both TDZ-M have 95mm Carbon fiber handles

I still like my MB deep throat custom TDZ zpi setup
Steez and MB shallow fast moving special
Core and gen one cumara

But now I’m thinking that since I have established a system I probably need to get rod of the out liners

What’s your crankbait system ( I mainly fish shallow 15’ or less) and are you starting shallow or deep and why?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

ra2bach
Angler
Angler

Re: What’s Your CrankBait System

Post by ra2bach » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:16 pm

My crankbait "system"? Well it's messed up...

I'm using a Shimano Zodias 7'6" glass rod and Tranx 200HG reel with 15# FC for cranks over 3/4oz (6XD, 8XD, etc). It will throw 10XD if I want it to but I worry it's going to snap one day so I have a 13Fishing Defy Heavy Cranking rod and Abu Winch reel with 15# FC that works great for 10XD and heavier and the 5.4:1 reel makes fishing those deep cranks easy

I use a G Loomis IMX Pro 845 and Bantam MGL with 12# FC for cranks and lipless 1/2-3/4oz.

And I have an E6X 843CBR and Chronarch with 30lb braid to 12# FC leader for cranks, lips, and blades 3/8oz and lighter.

I recently got a Levante EMTF for mid divers and it throws them a mile but it's not going to replace either the 845 or the Zodias so I'm working on a trade with it at the moment.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:31 am

Mid-Winter to Pre-Spawn:

Daiwa Tatula Signature Elite Takahiro Omori 7’ Glass
Zillion 10 JDM
Sunline Shooter Invisible 16lb
OSP Rattling Blitz Max, OSP Rattling Blitz, OSP HPF/HPF Spec 2, Lucky Craft RTO 1.5, Evergreen Flat Force

Zillion 1000 JDM
Sunline Defier 15lb
OSP Blitz DR

Zillion 1000 JDM
Sunline Defier 15lb
OSP Blitz Max DR, OSP Blitz Max Ex-DR

Spawn:

Zillion 10 JDM
OSP Rattling Blitz Max, OSP Rattling Blitz, OSP HPF/HPF Spec 2, Lucky Craft RTO 1.5, Evergreen Flat Force

Zillion 1000 JDM
Sunline Defier 15lb
OSP Blitz DR

Zillion 10 JDM
Sunline Defier 15lb
Megabass Vibration X, Lucky Craft LV500

Post-Spawn:

Zillion 10 JDM
Sunline Defier 15lb
OSP Rattling Blitz Max, OSP Rattling Blitz, Lucky Craft RTO 1.5, RTO 2.5

Zillion 1000 JDM
Sunline Defier 15lb
OSP Blitz DR

WAIT FOR NEXT GROUP

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:27 am

I use:

Daiwa SS/SV 7.1 with 10-12lb Fluoro on a Lew's Custom Speed Stick 7'Medium mod. fast "wart special" rod
-for smaller, lighter cranks maxing at around 1/2oz down to about shad rap size. Also use this for jerkbaits at times, though I prefer a fast action a lot of times. This is also a squarebill rod in a pinch or open water/light cover areas. Have also successfully used open hook finesse underspins, like the 3/16 Cool Baits. Have even used finesse wacky/Neko rigs on this rod.

Zillion TWS 7.3 with 15lb Fluoro on a Lew's Custom Speed Stick 7'6" MH mod. fast rod
-for larger cranks. Basically everything I cannot do with the other rod I do with this one. More than cranks, I use this rod for chatterbaits, open hook swimbaits (3.8 to 4.8 max), and even light guard swim jigs at times. I also use this rod for larger squarebills, deeper divers, sometimes even DT10s when I feel the 7'M mf is over stressed. Have also used this rod for spinnerbaits.

I do not fish cranks and moving lures as much as I used to, but regardless of brand or price point my system has flaws. You will find the 7'6"MH mf too much for some lures and the 7'M mf not enough for others. I wish sometimes I had either added a 7' MH mf or glass rod or just substituted for the 7'M mf entirely. I find a 7'M fast action rod can do most of the single hook work much better, and a ML fast action rod or even spinning rod does shad rap lures better. For me a 7'MH mf/moderate or squarebill style rod would probably serve better for my lighter and smaller cranking duties.

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:29 pm

I usually dont crank very deep. Usually 15' is my max depth i try to reach. Also most crankbaits hardly ever reach their stated depths. That being said, i usually use smaller crankbaits because i catch more fish on smaller lures.
2X - 7' expride light spinning with Exist LT 2000 spinning reel. #6 sunline. These combos are for #5 shad raps, flicker shad other tiny crankbaits.
2X - 7' 1st gen reaction cumara med action with 14 Conquest 100. #8 pline. These combos are for flatsides and other lighter crankbaits.
7' 1st gen reaction cumara med/hvy with 14 conquest 100. #10 pline. For deeper crankbaits up to 15' divers.
7' 1st gen reaction cumara med/hvy with 14 conquest 100. #12 pline. For squarebills around sparse cover and docks.
Thats my system. Its been working for me for years now.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:23 am

mrpao wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:29 pm
I usually dont crank very deep. Usually 15' is my max depth i try to reach. Also most crankbaits hardly ever reach their stated depths. That being said, i usually use smaller crankbaits because i catch more fish on smaller lures.
2X - 7' expride light spinning with Exist LT 2000 spinning reel. #6 sunline. These combos are for #5 shad raps, flicker shad other tiny crankbaits.
2X - 7' 1st gen reaction cumara med action with 14 Conquest 100. #8 pline. These combos are for flatsides and other lighter crankbaits.
7' 1st gen reaction cumara med/hvy with 14 conquest 100. #10 pline. For deeper crankbaits up to 15' divers.
7' 1st gen reaction cumara med/hvy with 14 conquest 100. #12 pline. For squarebills around sparse cover and docks.
Thats my system. Its been working for me for years now.

Man what a system. So many reaction rods that I wish I had more of.
I like how your setups are mostly identical except for line size.

Question: do you make any changes when it gets cooler in water temp?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:43 am

Steez Fle-x-Lite 7' M with a 16 Shimano Stile 8.1. 14 flurocarbon. I use it for cranks under 14ft, swimjigs, jerkbaits...all that

Abu Garcia Veritas 7' Medium Moderate wit Tatula SV 7.1 and 12lb flurocarbon. Same as above.

9'10" custom St Croix Legend Glass (7'11 H blank extended) with a Daiwa Catalina 4.9, 30lb braid with 12lb leader. For big cranks.

I got some BFS setups but...I figured we are talking about normal setups
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MRQturbo » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:12 pm

megabass javelin/14 conquest 101 w 14lb sunline sniper for 15-20 feet range...dobyns champion 705c/metanium 20 w 14lb sniper for 10-15 range...dobyns champion 704c/metanium 13 w 14lb sniper for 10 n under...1st gen cumara 6'8 med/core 101 w 12lb sniper for topwater/jerkbaits....if i can only bring one crank setup its the javelin...i find i can throw pretty much any depth crank with this setup....

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:37 am

Johnny A wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:31 am
Mid-Winter to Pre-Spawn:

Zillion 10 JDM

Zillion 1000 JDM
Sunline Defier 15lb
OSP Blitz DR

Zillion 1000 JDM
Sunline Defier 15lb
OSP Blitz Max DR, OSP Blitz Max Ex-DR

Spawn:

Zillion 10 JDM

Zillion 1000 JDM
Sunline Defier 15lb
OSP Blitz DR

Zillion 10 JDM
Sunline Defier 15lb

Post-Spawn:

Zillion 10 JDM
Sunline Defier 15lb
OSP Rattling Blitz Max, OSP Rattling Blitz, Lucky Craft RTO 1.5, RTO 2.5

Zillion 1000 JDM
Sunline Defier 15lb
OSP Blitz DR

WAIT FOR NEXT GROUP
Summer:

Zillion 10 JDM
OSP Blitz, OSP Blitz Max, OSP Blitz MR, Lucky Craft 1.5, Evergreen Flat Force

Zillion 1000 JDM
Sunline Defier 15lb
OSP Blitz DR

Zillion 10 JDM
Sunline Defier 15lb

Daiwa Tatula Signature Elite Takahiro Omori 7’ Glass - this may be replaced with a 7’3”-7’4” rod
Zillion 1000 JDM
Sunline Defier 15lb
OSP Blitz Max DR, OSP Blitz Ex-DR

WAIT FOR NEXT GROUP

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:46 am

I usually only fish the CA Delta unless I'm on foot at a lake--here's my crankbait breakdown.

Dobyns Champion 705CB Glass Fast / Shimano Chronarch 100D7 / 12# Seaguar Invizx -- I use this one for ripbaits or smaller shallow crankbaits.

Dobyns Champion 764CB RM / Shimano Chronarch 100D7 / 15# Seaguar Invizx -- Squarebills and mid-depth crankbaits

Dobyns Champion 765CB / Shimano Chronarch 100D7 / 15# Seaguar Invizx -- Deep divers

Dobyns Champion 763C / Shimano Chronarch 100D7 / 30# Spiderwire UltraCast -- Lipless crankbaits