88 Degrees

Is there any other species?
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4593
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

88 Degrees

Post by goldrod » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:44 am

But feels like 101 degrees and it’s just 1030 .A.M
Don’t know about you but that is a bummer for me
I’ve packed the boat and I have a few rods on deck
But man it feels so much better on this couch. I’ve got some sun screen for my skin because I want an even and rich chocolate tone.
I’m ready to go but when I walk outside it’s just brutal making it to the truck.


Anyone else allows the heat to discourage you? Sometimes hot is just too hot for me. But I guess I’m crazy because the thought of a big one on the line elevated me to the truck and forwards to the river.
Your Actions Make History and Your history makes your legacy

Instagram is @1ncetime

JBcrankaddict
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1801
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:59 am
Location: Pensacola, FL

Re: 88 Degrees

Post by JBcrankaddict » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:11 am

Same temps in this part of Florida, and don’t really consider that hot yet, but understand what you mean. End of July into August, temps hit 100 actual which leads to 115+ heat index with 100% humidity. If you have a passion for fishing, you will work through the discomfort. My best advice is to fish afternoons once the wind has started, preferably after a pop up storm has cooled things down. Fish bite better, and I’m rarely to uncomfortable to fish in these conditions. Most of my friends fish early mornings when it’s super hot still but dead calm, and all they do is complain about the heat, but say they want to get out there and back home before it gets hot out :lol: I’ve tried mornings and it’s definitely miserable when it’s calm.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4593
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: 88 Degrees

Post by goldrod » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:55 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:11 am
Same temps in this part of Florida, and don’t really consider that hot yet, but understand what you mean. End of July into August, temps hit 100 actual which leads to 115+ heat index with 100% humidity. If you have a passion for fishing, you will work through the discomfort. My best advice is to fish afternoons once the wind has started, preferably after a pop up storm has cooled things down. Fish bite better, and I’m rarely to uncomfortable to fish in these conditions. Most of my friends fish early mornings when it’s super hot still but dead calm, and all they do is complain about the heat, but say they want to get out there and back home before it gets hot out :lol: I’ve tried mornings and it’s definitely miserable when it’s calm.

On the water now and this boat /wake boarder
Is close enough in the channel to spit on I’m like what’s the issue
I get a shoulder shrug 🤷🏽‍♂️ from them
They win I take my ball and go home
Your Actions Make History and Your history makes your legacy

Instagram is @1ncetime

JBcrankaddict
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1801
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:59 am
Location: Pensacola, FL

Re: 88 Degrees

Post by JBcrankaddict » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:23 pm

Yeah that sucks, around here it’s jet skis. Luckily they don’t kick up much wake. Feel your pain man, nothing worse than a wasted trip.

jvelth74
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:03 am
Location: Finland

Re: 88 Degrees

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:35 pm

It wasn't that far from 88 degrees here in Finland in last weekend. Usually in midsummer it rains snow in here and storm winds. For these options hot is better :D Now it's again cold and it rains - a lot.
- Jukka

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 5664
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: 88 Degrees

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:03 pm

It was 102* here yesterday afternoon before the t-storms came. It was a balmy 95* today. :lol:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4593
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: 88 Degrees

Post by goldrod » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:08 pm

When I was out there there was a wind blowing
And at my first spot it was coming at me. I just lifted up my arms cause it was just nice. There were some rain clouds and thunderstorms nearing but it would seem as if I was only getting the wind here and there.
Your Actions Make History and Your history makes your legacy

Instagram is @1ncetime

User avatar
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4420
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:47 pm
Location: In the "Heart of Dixie"

Re: 88 Degrees

Post by Johnny A » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:35 pm

About the same here and I’m loving it!

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1814
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:31 am

Re: 88 Degrees

Post by toddmc » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:30 pm

116 here. Supposed to be 120 tomorrow! :evil:

User avatar
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2064
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Utah

Re: 88 Degrees

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:16 pm

toddmc wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:30 pm
116 here. Supposed to be 120 tomorrow! :evil:
Damn....

I'm complaining because its 97 here..

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 5664
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: 88 Degrees

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:57 pm

Our extreme humidity is what's dangerous here. For example, it was 93* yesterday. The heat index pushed the "real feel" to 107*. 90% humidity won't allow sweat to evaporate at all, so the sweat just runs down and soaks your clothing. You literally look like you've been swimming while fully clothed by the afternoon. Sweating does no good if it cant evaporate off and carry heat with it.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

JBcrankaddict
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1801
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:59 am
Location: Pensacola, FL

Re: 88 Degrees

Post by JBcrankaddict » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:44 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:57 pm
Our extreme humidity is what's dangerous here. For example, it was 93* yesterday. The heat index pushed the "real feel" to 107*. 90% humidity won't allow sweat to evaporate at all, so the sweat just runs down and soaks your clothing. You literally look like you've been swimming while fully clothed by the afternoon. Sweating does no good if it cant evaporate off and carry heat with it.
This! It was 97 yesterday with a heat index above 110. Feels like wearing a heated blanket all day. To fish through this, I simply fished a bank that had wind blowing towards it all day. A little rough, but didn’t really sweat much and caught some good fish. Columbia PFG shirt and a buff kept me comfortable with the wind blowing through it.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1814
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:31 am

Re: 88 Degrees

Post by toddmc » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:27 pm

We had a little humidity with the 116 yesterday. A small front blew in about 3 p.m, I lived in Houston, and I have also spent plenty of time in the South in the summer, but 115+ tells the body to get the hell out of it immediately. Stepping outside is like stepping into your oven. It gives you a headache. Most people in the world have never experienced temps over 110. It was still 103 at 10:30 last night when I was fishing one of the lakes on the course in back of the house. My clothes were drenched. At least the fish were biting.
I opted not to fish a night tournament at DVL last night because the forecast was for 105 at blastoff. I didn't want to tow my boat out of the Coachella Valley at 116 degrees to get there because all of your tackle melts and it dries out the glue on your carpet.
My worst heat experience was to play with an assistant golf pro to administer the players ability test in 126 degrees in 1994 when I was working as a golf pro. She had to play 36 holes for the test. She was late and we didn't get started until about 10 a.m. I drank two gallons of water that afternoon. That was the highest temp we have ever recorded in my hometown. We had to play fast and keep the carts moving to keep us from fainting.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 5664
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: 88 Degrees

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:02 pm

toddmc wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:27 pm
We had a little humidity with the 116 yesterday. A small front blew in about 3 p.m, I lived in Houston, and I have also spent plenty of time in the South in the summer, but 115+ tells the body to get the hell out of it immediately. Stepping outside is like stepping into your oven. It gives you a headache. Most people in the world have never experienced temps over 110. It was still 103 at 10:30 last night when I was fishing one of the lakes on the course in back of the house. My clothes were drenched. At least the fish were biting.
I opted not to fish a night tournament at DVL last night because the forecast was for 105 at blastoff. I didn't want to tow my boat out of the Coachella Valley at 116 degrees to get there because all of your tackle melts and it dries out the glue on your carpet.
My worst heat experience was to play with an assistant golf pro to administer the players ability test in 126 degrees in 1994 when I was working as a golf pro. She had to play 36 holes for the test. She was late and we didn't get started until about 10 a.m. I drank two gallons of water that afternoon. That was the highest temp we have ever recorded in my hometown. We had to play fast and keep the carts moving to keep us from fainting.
Yeah, I've been in New Mexico when it was 114*.My cousins wife is a full-blood Yute Native American. She lived in NM until she moved here. That first summer, she wouldn't even go outside, said it was too hot for her.
With that kind of dry heat in the SW from west Texas over through Southern California, you could step into the shade and actually catch a chill. Because of the low humidity, sweat readily evaporated. With high humidity, your sweat never evaporates, so the heat never leaves your skin. Heat stroke is a big concern in that scenario. The biggest danger in low-humidity is dehydration. Neither kind of heat is pleasant.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 837
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:42 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: 88 Degrees

Post by ss30378 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:54 am

I'm a Yankee transplanted to the south 8 years ago from MI. The first couple summers were a bit shocking but I'm learning to deal with it now. I'll now gladly take the summer heat to not have to shovel snow and deal with the hard water months.

I just got back from central TX last week for a quick work trip. The humidity difference was amazing, 99 degrees actual temp was quite comfortable in TX with the low humidity, much better than a normal 85 degree day here with AL humidity. I took a trip out to WSMR, NM a few years back, it was 115 degrees wasn't bad at all.

The worst heat I experienced was in the middle east, 130 degrees + actual temp was terrible mid day and even at midnight it was still 106 degrees. I tell people just open up a hot oven in you face and you've experienced the middle east.

Post Reply