THE JIG

Is there any other species?
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

THE JIG

Post by goldrod » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:03 am

Been up for a while but have a break for a few minutes

Something that I really have been thinking about is fishing jigs. We exhaust the rods we feel are good for them and we pick out certain jigs based on the cover we are fishing. I had the opportunity a while back to fish for one bite using a mop football jig and exo trailer /20lb floro / bottom contact rod / IS79 and ZPI PG spool. It was more of a fish off because I had two other setups
but on this one particular situation I knew it was cold for Florida and I knew going in that I wouldn’t get a lot of bites.

That being said after fan casting from the bank I was getting into the zone. Where you are in tune with the setup and the lure is telling you all about the bottom composition. As I was bringing the lure back I thought I was getting bit but honestly I was unsure but I knew for certain that I was coming across wood and as bass life would have it I felt pressure. Not a tug or a pull but a constant pressure. Just feet from my feet literally and everything inside of me said set the hook but my response was how? With football jigs as I understand it your supposed to do a sweeping hook set but this was just in front of me and my body position was probably not the best because when I did attempt the set the hook it the back of the bass swirled in the shallows as the water went everywhere. I just knew it was picture time and this fish was about to be on my time line. However it was not to be and the fish through the jig and it had to be stuck because it would not hit it again nor any other jig.

I probably should have used a casting type jig but I didn’t
I was thinking that the assessment of rods and jigs would yield great results but all I got was heart ache
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible