updating...

Is there any other species?
dagmarsawayn
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

updating...

Post by dagmarsawayn » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:23 am

updating...
Last edited by dagmarsawayn on Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: now that it's getting hot, where do the big bass go?

Post by Drakestar » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:10 pm

dagmarsawayn wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:23 am
it's hot here and lots of folks are fishing in deeper waters but, since I fish a lot of ponds that are only about 8-10' deep in the deepest parts (which are pretty small areas), where do they go?

I still catch a lot of fish in the shallows where I'm guessing that they are moving in to find smaller fish and other prey to eat. But, I just wonder what everyone thinks about whether the biggest fish are holding in the deeper areas.

I've been catching more fish in the deeper areas on crankbaits but, they aren't any bigger than the ones my buddies are catching on plastics fished in the shallower areas.

What do the experts (that means everyone but me) think?
Assuming you're in the southern hemisphere? It's pretty cold around where I live in Dec :) Not sure which fish you're targeting, that might help. Are you sure there are bigger fish in those ponds than you're catching? In many bass/bluegill ponds there's an equilibrium and the environment doesn't support both smaller and giant bass.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: now that it's getting hot, where do the big bass go?

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:06 am

I think the person above may have nailed it. Sure, by random events or by man made intervention, ponds can hold giant fish, but that’s not the rule. There simply might not be a large cohort of larger sized fish in the ponds you’re fishing. I fish in Florida. This year is not setting up as well as I’d like from past experience. Water is lower in my lakes than it has been the past few winters. We did not get a lot of tropical storm type rain in my areas to fill up the lakes as happens some years. And now the La Nina set up so it’s warmer and drier than normal. Throw in a big helping of climate change and it’s been the hottest December I can remember in FL. But, I the fish are quite resilient to the cycling patterns in larger waters at least and I don’t believe the climate has warmed sufficiently yet to affect them. They’ll do their thing even if it’s slightly warmer and drier or vice versa, it might just advance or delay their normal pattern slightly. It affects my fishing mostly because I tend to have more success when the lakes are more full. Most FL lakes are super shallow anyway, so more water opens up more habitat on the shoreline for spawning. Also, I seem to be better able to fool them into taking my bait if there are an extra couple of inches over their heads when they come in during the spawning season. I’d suggest branching out of trying to hit different waters. No boat, no problem I say. If you’re in the south, the next few months should be great as a shore fisherman as long as you can find some lakes that give you access to shoreline.