Night Fishing

Is there any other species?
dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Night Fishing

Post by dampeoples » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:27 pm

This is really the first year I've done any sort of night fishing seriously. I might have been out in the evening and not wanted to go in, but I never stayed for the long haul.

I've been catching them on Smallie Beavers with either the Gambler Florida Rig rattlign weights, or a rattle shoved in the bait. I've had even better luck with a Spot Remover and a Flirt or some form of Senko. I've ccaught a few on spinnerbaits as well, even made up a few that glow. One is a 1/2oz. with a #5 White Colorado, glowing white paint and eyes, even a glowing skirt, kind of clear with a greenish hue to it. I don't really have that many large blades/bodies laying around, so I couldn't pick and choose, time for another big Stamina order, I suppose.

Here's the real question, what have you guys had luck with? Any more tips, suggestions? I went ahead and arranged a tournament later this month at Falls, I like to do well in my own events ;)

Boonethelunkerlander
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Night Fishing

Post by Boonethelunkerlander » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:28 pm

they are catching them on a black thumper spinnerbait here right now, i am goin to have to get out and try it
Boone Barton
G Loomis Rods
Shimano Reels

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dampeoples » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:36 pm

I've read everything from dark to light colors, from small to large size baits.
I can change the skirts of my spinnerbaits to a darker color easily, I need to make a few up so I can try that too.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:46 pm

black,red, dark colors have always worked here along with big TWs and buzzbaits. I also throw black and blue jigs and 10" worms in darker colors. :lol:
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

JayInGrapevine
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JayInGrapevine » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:04 pm

Black. Zara. Spook.

That's all you need for big fish at night.
Powell Rods

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:32 pm

JayInGrapevine wrote:Black. Zara. Spook.

That's all you need for big fish at night.
I was going to say a Black JitterBug, a steady retrieve and wait on the hook set until you feel (not hear) the fish. But I think Jay's way is probably just as good. :D
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dampeoples » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:25 am

Went out tonight, just got back in. Not a good night, we've been going during the week and finishing up around 11PM so we could still make work, but tonight just stank. Might be the 4th weekend traffic, all the rain, or we might just stink :)

Fished the big worms, caught 3 on those, threw spinnerbaits, beavers, brush hogs, smaller worms, and yes, the Jitterbug, even the Jitterstick, only the worms worked. Dunno, gonna try again Monday night, but if it's the boat traffic/pressure, they'll be worse by then!

There's a section under a bridge by one of the ramps that sees little pressure and no recreational traffic (stumpfield), gonna try out there Monday.

Daves504
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Daves504 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:14 pm

All the usuall have worked for me, black jitterbug, black colorado spinnerbait, big worms. I also found a good article on bassdozer.com where he mentions Danny's Surface Swimmer. Well i bought one and I got several violent strikes but no fish yet. I'm going to change the hooks before I try again.
Cordell's Redfin also is pretty consistent.
One thing that makes night fishing a whole lot more enjoyable is a headlamp. I don't leave home without it.

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dampeoples » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:40 am

I don't much think they like a full moon, or even close. Caught a fish with a 3Lb mouth, and a 1Lb. body, had a sore on it's side. I felt sorry for it.
The 4Lb. C-rig fish saw no mercy though :)

TommyT
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TommyT » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:34 am

Caught nine last night using 6' inch june bug lizards around boat dock lights. For some reason they will only hit it texas rigged not carolina rigged. Also, the bass seem to be on the edge of the lights near the deeper water.

Hope this helps.

cwind
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by cwind » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:28 am

Here's a couple from last night.

The first one was caught on a War Eagle purple and black night spinnerbait, and the second was on a Mann's stone jig with a yum trailer.