Calero

Please post your fishing reports (freshwater or saltwater, conventional or fly fishing). You don't have to give away your secret spots but you do have to share what tackle you were using!
JIP
Site Admin
Site Admin

Calero

Post by JIP » Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:06 pm

The parking lot was quite full today and good thing it didn't hit boat
limit when we arrived for some afternoon fishing. The wind was blowing
good, the pleasure boaters were zooming in all different diretions.
Right off the bat Zander hooks up using a brush hog while I
threw a crankbait without any action for a while. Switched over to
a white spinnerbait and hooked up, then tried some tassel tail worms
for a few more. After a while we started to catch them on everything,
expect topwater. We saw some good blow ups, but nothing for me.
Bummer!
JIP - TackleTour.com
http://www.tackletour.com

sdesign
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Calero

Post by sdesign » Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:26 am

Hey JIP, thanks for the report... happy 4th :)

Any size to the fish you caught? Nice to have one of those "everything in the tackle box" days! Makes the task of tackle reviewing a little easier, eh? ;)

JapanReels
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JapanReels » Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:02 am

what color brush hog did you try and what part of the lake? I have had real good success with a green watermelon with pepper flakes near the S. end of the lake near the big rock. It seems to hold some bigger fish for me. I have had great success on top water in the late hours between 7-830pm at the very very far s end near all the crap in the water. Let me know when you head out their JIP, I might see ya there.

JapanReels
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JapanReels » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:53 pm

Top water was on fire today. caught 10 nice ones. They exploded really hard on my yozuri pop n splash gobi. I even caught a huge crappie on top lure. Carolina rig around till 7pm then all top water with great hookups. All s. end of lake. Water is dropping everyday so hurry up!! LOL.

LATERS!!!

JapanReels
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JapanReels » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:39 pm

I'll be out there tomorrow after work. Will let you guys know how it goes.

sdesign
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by sdesign » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:50 pm

Hey... goodluck JR

JapanReels
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JapanReels » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:20 pm

thanks SD.. My goal is to get a double digit this year and looks very promising with each session out there.

JIP
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JIP » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:32 pm

Calero or Coyote!
JIP - TackleTour.com
http://www.tackletour.com

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:24 pm

Hope you killed them out there tonight JR. I always catch more fish at Calero, but bigger ones out of Coyote.

JapanReels
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JapanReels » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:08 am

How funny, its backwards for me. Smaller ones at coyote and bigger ones at calero. What is the avg size fish at coyote for ya Zander? I lost a good 7lber last week and one of my buds hooked up a nice 5lber that was round as a balloon. What are you using at Coyote and what part of the lake?

JapanReels
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JapanReels » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:11 am

The small 2 1/2 inch gobi poppers with the feather trailer has been working extremely well at calero. I thought it was just the people making the wrong presentation with the lures but it really was the lures size that they were after. I tried every size out there and the smaller pop n splash caught more fish then all the guys combined. I think my buds were getting pissed off because I kept on catching fish. As for color, I stick with basic white with some green and chartreuse colors that fade away from the body. White seems to always produce at calero.

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:27 am

Hi JR,

Can catch fish between 4-8lbs regularly at Coyote, and once a while fish in the double digits. There are three spots that I do well. The south end is my favorite and right around the bend if you work the edges all the way back with cranks or shallow swimming swimbaits you should hookup. When the weeds are taking over the area the same Delta frogging techniques work well in the morning or evening, in fact poppers around the edges can be real good.

Right accross from the ramp a little to the left side the bank is steep but there is good structure, a good place to run jigs. I have had success with Hula Grubs.

FInally on the North end the entire dam can be good at certain times. There I have caught fish on the edges with a white/chart spinner, or trout pattern cranks. (Norman DLN works well).

I guess the reason I catch more at Coyote is I typically spend more time there then Calero. In fact at Calero I fish the North end a lot more, never really focused on the South end...I'll definitely have to do that.

JapanReels
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JapanReels » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:31 am

S end has been money for the past month for me. carolina rig till sun starts to go down and all top water after that. I'm gonna give coyote a shot sometime. Thanks Z.

sdesign
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by sdesign » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:32 am

Hey Zander,

Thanks for giving up your secrets ;) ... lol.. just kidding. And people wonder whether or not time on the water really counts for something or not. Your comment about knowing Coyote better than Calero because you fish it more often is evidence enough right there.

Which is why I've been concentrating on the Delta so much this year... but I'm certain I can fish this place several years in a row exclusively and still not really "know" it.

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:46 am

Hi Sdesign, totally and utterly agree with you in regards to the Delta. There a re a lot of great techniques that work out there, but the Delta is like a huge playground....depending on where or when you are fishing the experience is different every time....probably why I never get tired of fishing out there. :lol: