Epic Perm 6.6.2007 (Tampa Florida)

Please post your fishing reports (freshwater or saltwater, conventional or fly fishing). You don't have to give away your secret spots but you do have to share what tackle you were using!
Apollobeachsam
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Epic Perm 6.6.2007 (Tampa Florida)

Post by Apollobeachsam » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:28 pm

Wow the wind laid down for a day.. !! Taking a break from hunting Tarpon Glen, Larry, Pam and I headed offshore. The seas was to be glass calm no wind but it was not this day. However it was close enough to a calm day compare to what we are use to having around here.

Launching out of Shell Point and grabbing some bait at the skyway. We headed off to see how this storm has reshuffle things out in the gulf. Though it wasn't choppy there were rollers through out our ride out. We kept entertain by watching the flying fish taking off and land. There was an abundant of bait out there. We saw a few blow ups but didn't stop to investigate as we were on a mission this day.

We got to our destination and started dropping out big threads and it wasn't long until I pulled up a nice bar jack. We played with the Amber and Bar jacks for while boating about 10 between us. Glen then hooks up to a nice 23lb permit and the game changed.

Soon I got one on and it was a battle on light 20lb tackle. Larry then hooks up and we had a double header in the works. Larry had the fish on my new rod. It's the solid carbon Evolution rod and he made quick work of the 35lb perm, while I was getting whipped pretty good on my smaller fish.

My 25lb perm tangles around the anchor buoy and Glen had to pull it up. Then he surged to the anchor line and rap me around that several times. Thank god for braid! It took some acrobatics and some work to get it untangled. After what seem like and eternity, surprisingly he was still on.

After a landing the permit we celebrated with some high fives..as all the adrenaline purges from our system. It was quite exciting and well worth the long journey out. We became unanchored during the skirmish and tried to get back on the bite. We ended up boating more AJ's but the perms were no longer cooperating. Feeling very satisfied with the trip we packed it up at about noon and called it great day!

Thanks guys... A trip to remember indeed. Besides having the anchored getting stuck we had an uneventful and much smoother ride back home. The fishing gods has smiled upon us this day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnLvWJ_ngNg