Silver Rain 7.24.2007 (beach pooning)

Please post your fishing reports (freshwater or saltwater, conventional or fly fishing). You don't have to give away your secret spots but you do have to share what tackle you were using!
Apollobeachsam
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Silver Rain 7.24.2007 (beach pooning)

Post by Apollobeachsam » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:26 pm

It wasn't the best conditions out there that day. The fishing wasn't suppose to be that good that day. We were surrounded by fronts. But after getting up at 4am to make the drive to meet JMsnooky for beach tarpon we had to give it shot.

After struggling with the wind and waves we got our bait and headed off to find the poons. With the front rolling in they were not very actively rolling at all. We staked out on hard bottom and got into some action. Jason was the 1st get a nice 70 lb'er boat side after quick battle. I got some footage on high def but the rain came so I had to put it away.

I finally connected soon after with a nice 100lb er. After a 10minute battle he threw the hook. Thats ok, I got 4 jumps of of him some cool vids. A pod of cobia even showed up boat side and jason got one on right away. I had a couple on but keep pulling the hook out of the little one's mouth trying to get the bigger ones. :)

The bite died soon after 9:30am and we decided to leave before the storms really hammer us.

Heading towards the ramp w/ our rain jacket Jason wanted to stop and get a few reds. The reds weren't there he still mange a smally on top water. We were one snook away from the real slam. We struggled with the snook and after 2 hours and a couple spit hooks we gave up and called it day. Jason did however went out later that day and completed the grand slam. Congrats man!

http://www.saltyshores.com/vids/beachpoon.html