Best lure early season pike

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
JontaK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Best lure early season pike

Post by JontaK » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:50 pm

OldGuyAl wrote:Here is a question that you can all make fun of this ol' Southern Boy about:

when you get one of these mean-mouthed suckers up to the boat, how do you get it in the boat (or do you?) and how do you handle the fish to get the hook out?

I might be catching one of these in the next week or so and I don't mind telling you that I'm not sure what to do after I land it.

Do I need to have a landing net? some long nosed pliers? a gun? what?

;-)
Dear friend, firearms is not the sollution to all our problems :)

Seriously, over here we do something that we call "gill-grip". Can't translate it any better.
Slide your fingers up right next to the gills and grab the "lid", as we call it.

If the pike weighs below 10lb just grab it behind the head over its back. Gently squeeze and you'll be pushing on some nerves. This little trick is great because the fish will be completely still, almost paralyzed.

Have a mouthopener close by and a longnosed pliers. Pike strikes are violent and more or less swallowed baits aren't unusual, getting the hooks out can be pretty hard.
And yes, they do bite hands and fingers :)

Bass Asassin
Angler
Angler

Post by Bass Asassin » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:08 pm

Ive caught alot of pike on Little Cleo spoons and blue fox spinners.(This is fishing on shore though)
(6-13-05)6 Pound 3 Ounce LargeMouth Bass Caught In Lake St.Clair, Michigan
(9-03-06)32 Pound 8 Ounce Chinook Salmon Caught In Lake Huron, Michigan

Piscivorous Pike
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Piscivorous Pike » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:12 am

Over fifty years of Pike addiction I would say that the Xrap and the new bigger sizes to be my best options in water colder than 55 F. Slow with long pauses. Green colors especially the perch pattern.
<;)}}}}>< I fish therefore I am...

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:42 pm

I know this is the "Best lure early season pike" thread, but now that we're heading into fall and it's time to think about the colder weather coming.
Here in the north you can really feel it in the air.
sony. If your still fishing Hayden much, use a yellow/red pattern bucktail with a nickel blade. I had a nice 10lb pike smash an inhaler rattletail bucktail last thurs. Fish about the 10ft zone just before it drops to the abyss(you know where I'm talking about) Burn it over the cabbage.
Also it's time to think about frogs. The frogs are going to start their migration into the lake bottoms here soon. Frogzillas cast to shore work really well.

Lukas
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Lukas » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:35 am

My favourite lure is salmo slider (colors: real perch, real roach)
http://www.salmofishing.com/lures/slider.html
I have caught many pike using this lure in spring and autumn

Pfandpirat
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Pfandpirat » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:27 am

My Top Pike Baits (for spring, summer and fall) are:

Salmo Slider (7 + 10 cm) in RedHead and RealPerch

and the swedish

Buster Jerk (15cm) in Pike (no.21) and BlueSilver (no.25)

tomCRO
Angler
Angler

Post by tomCRO » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:07 pm

Pfandpirat wrote:My Top Pike Baits (for spring, summer and fall) are:

Salmo Slider (7 + 10 cm) in RedHead and RealPerch

and the swedish

Buster Jerk (15cm) in Pike (no.21) and BlueSilver (no.25)
I am new in this forum that hello everybody :)
My top ---5--- for the pike
Mepps Agila No. 5 silver
Mepps Vibrax No.5 silver
Rapala Hasky Yerk 14 TSD-SD
Rapala Orginal 13 RT-FT
Last edited by tomCRO on Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:36 pm

Tom Image to TT.
Nice Esox Lucius. 8-) 8-) That must have been a fun battle. :P

tomCRO
Angler
Angler

Post by tomCRO » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:28 am

tonym wrote:Tom Image to TT.
Nice Esox Lucius. 8-) 8-) That must have been a fun battle. :P
Thank you tonym :D
Yes funy and strong battle..
The norden pike have got two verious jumps from the water very alott run speed. When i see pike nearly coastline worm her mouth was peeped little head Husky Yerk No. 14 TSD i have a lot luck does not burssed with her sharped teeth.That lake is not to deep up to 2-5meters in all lake. And pair pictures and go my best friend pike
C & R

tomCRO
Angler
Angler

Post by tomCRO » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:41 pm

Lukas wrote:My favourite lure is salmo slider (colors: real perch, real roach)
http://www.salmofishing.com/lures/slider.html
I have caught many pike using this lure in spring and autumn
Lukas that salmo sliders is looking very good real perch and roach best food to norden pike...

Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fbass » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:54 am

giesj wrote:For you guys fishing plastics for pike like a senko, how do you tie your own leaders? I have some leader material but am not sure how to set it up to maintain the slow sink of the senko. Seems that a store purchased leader has too much weight with the clip.
Thanks for any help,
Jason
I use 70lbs fluorocarbon line as a leader. On the hook side I use double sleeve (a sleeve with 2 holes in it) and I tie to other side to the main line with an albright knot. It's not 100% pike proof but pretty darn close!

I'm surprised no one mentionned lucky craft pointer 100 in this thread. If I was left with only one pike lure that would be the one!

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:14 pm

I'm with Fbass on this one. All tose other baits work BUY Lucky Flashminnows, Pointers, Slender Pointers, Jackal Smash Minnows and Squad Minnows, Bass Pro shop XPS Professional Series Jerk Baits, Rapala X Raps, Huskey Jerks, Yozuri Chrystal Minnows etc are by far the best baits for Pike here in Ontario. I also did really well one day with a $1 spinnerbait called a Redeye that I bought on sale. Big and noisey spinnerbait that was stout enough to take multile strikes from pee'd off Pike. My buddy and I had a 100+ Pike opener this year on a local impoundment. We threw mainly Flashminnows, Pointers, slender Pointers, BPS Professionals and Smash minnows. I also have a bait called a DAM that is in a baby pike pattern that works fairly well (compared to Husky Jerks and Bombers but NOT to Lucky Crafts or Jackals). To catch large numbers of Pike you have to do the same things that allow you to catch large numbers of other species and that means quality lures presented on long casts, in the strike zone, at the correct speed/cadence with scent and with a consideration for appropriate colour. Come to think of it I love catching Pike ands I don't understand why so many guys don't like them. Snidley