Best lure early season pike

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
sony
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Best lure early season pike

Post by sony » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:36 pm

I can't catch pike on lures when the water is below 55 degrees in the spring (no problem in the fall). Does anyone know of a lure that works in early Spring?

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best lure early season pike

Post by GAMEOVER » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:56 pm

Pike have almost always been caught by me off crankbaits. Ill be crankin for Bass and Pike will just hammer them. Same goes with jerkbaits.

If budget is concerned I highly recommend the Rapala DT series crankbaits. Both Pike and Bass seem to love em. Work areas longer then you normally would. All of my Pike on crankbaits ive used for Bass have came when working any area really thoroughly.

ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ShoreBound » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:36 pm

I've seen a Bob Izumi fishing show episode targetting early spring pike where they were using weedless jigs (the ones with the spring that rest on the hook and that opens up when the fish bites it) rigged with pork strip trailer. The pork strips were the ones that you can buy in bottles in tackle stores. They kinda just slowly swim this rig near bottom. I think you can also substitute large soft-plastics if you don't want to use pork strips.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:57 pm

I never knew Pike hit Jigs.. ive never heard or seen a Pike caught on one. I dont see why they wouldnt hit one though as all a jig really is is a Craw imitator.

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:36 pm

I always have the best luck with gliders sony. I love Phantoms in a 6" Walleye or sucker pattern.
Look at Thorne bros. They have the best deals.
BlackRock Custom Fishing Rods.
http://www.brooklynbillstackleshop.com

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:39 am

There are lots of fun options for Spring pike. Jigs really are an ace-in-the-hole. Bass style rubber skirted jigs work well. A Northland Jungle Jig with a 7" power worm works well. If they are really finicky, just trim down the worm. If they're not going for the worm, try tipping the jig with a black Berkley leech.

If they are spawned out, and starting to leave the shallows for deeper water, go bigger on the jigs. A 5/8 or 1oz. J-mac jig, or a Lil' Hustler in 1oz. with a 6" Salt Shaker tail is money as well. They also make a 4.5" tail. This smaller plastic goes well with a 1/2oz. Owner saltwater jighead.

The guys from In-Fisherman swear by rabbit hair jigs, with the long strip. Jensen makes a good one.

Bait Rigs Esox jigs are a finesse style, swimming type leadhead jig. They range from 1.5oz. all the way down to 3/8oz. Smaller reaper tails and lizards look great on these. They also make a more streamlined jig for working the weeds.

A large gapped, 1/4 or 3/8 oz. ball head style jig with a 5 or 6" curlytail grub. Moore's makes a good stand-up style that works well with these plastics.

Six to eight inch senko style stick worms work well too. BPS's Stik-O comes in an almost perfect 7 1/8" size. Just rig them weightless, killer when pike are still shallow. The Yum Dinger also comes in 6 & 7" sizes. Owner makes a 7/0 oversize worm hook. The color black seems to get the nod here as well.

The 6" Lindy Tiger Tube

Small Bull Dawgs can be deadly. The 6" Spring Dawg, the 4" Micro Dawg, the 2.5" Nano & Heli Dawgs, and the 2" Nano Dawg all fit the bill.

Suspending jerkbaits like the #'s 10 and 12 Husky Jerk work well at times, as does a #9 or 11 Countdown Rapala.

1/4 - 1/2oz. spinnerbaits rolled slowly. Definitely go for one with a titanium frame.

And if all else fails, nuthin' beats a good 'ol stinky dead smelt.

-Shaun
Last edited by Gone Phishin on Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PikeMan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PikeMan » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:50 pm

Daredevles never fail to catch pike, no matter the time of year. If they're being picky just use smaller spoons. Leaches always work too.

Want
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Want » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:37 pm

These have worked where I fish:

1) Rapala Husky Jerks (fished Slow) Their action seems to work better in cold water conditions than do X-Rap style lures.

2) Plastics (surprisingly, 5" grubs have been very successful for me)

2) Rapala spoon: May be hard to get but they work well on the drop.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:46 pm

Forgot to add one thing: don't be afraid to go super small with your presentation. Over the years my friends and I have caught many pike and muskies while crappie or walleye fishing in the spring.

The last muskie I caught came fishing a 1/8oz. Weed Weasel jig tipped with a Berkley walleye grub, just ticking emergent weed growth. Due to the six pound mono, i never got her in the boat, but pretty close. It sure was neat to see that little jig stuck in that monster's mouth.

As I said, crappie tackle has also produced many a pike for us. The state of WI closes inland game fishing pretty much from March to the first Sat. in May. So panfishing is all we can do inland. Many post ice-out crappie trips have ended in us catching pike on crappie size tube jigs under slipfloats. And I mean little ones, no bigger than 1 1/2 inches.

-Shaun

PikeMan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PikeMan » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:09 pm

5" grubs have been very successful for me
Uh oh! My secret's out! I have been using 5" Kalin's grubs to catch Jackfish for years! I was hoping no one else knew... Oh well :roll: , they DO work and are worth a shot. Fish 'em nice and SSSSSSSLLLLLLOOOOOOWWWWWWW.

RobRaven1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RobRaven1 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:59 pm

Over here seatrout bait work ... since they are easy to fish slow ... slow is key ... but i'll have to wait till end of may to fish for pike ... its protected till after spawn here!

Want
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Want » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:17 pm

One more that I forgot and it's a technique that's also been very good in colder water:

1/2 - 3/4 oz Rattle Traps or Spots JIGGED off the Bottom. Cast them: nothing. Jig them: bites.

pikemasterCanada
Angler
Angler

Post by pikemasterCanada » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:43 am

In early spring I usually go large. I have awesome luck in spring using 3/4 ounce spinner baits. As it gets warmer I go smaller, spinnerbaits never let me down Chartreuse and white with large nickel colorado blades. Large spoons work great too. Anything with a stripe I find :) On the other hand, my nephew swears by his jigs.

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:15 am

pikemasterCanada wrote:In early spring I usually go large. I have awesome luck in spring
This is why I love to use big Phantom gliders. I let it sink then slow jerk it with the rod tip up so it climbs back to the surface then a long pause to let it sink. When you shap it back out of the pause is when I usually get hit.
BlackRock Custom Fishing Rods.
http://www.brooklynbillstackleshop.com

lunker651
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by lunker651 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:43 pm

I use dare devil spoons and mepps bucktail. It's seems to work for me year round. I'm not a big pike or musky fishermen but when I'm in the mood I'll throw one of the lures mention above and almost always get a bite if they're there.