Musky Lures

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
senkoman85
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Musky Lures

Post by senkoman85 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:59 pm

I TRY to fish for muskies in a lake that's been stocked since 1975. They are tiger musky and I have seem some big ones. I have seen them eat baby ducks and they absolutly destroy the rainbow trout that the state stocks the lake with.

I am wondering about lures for all times of the year. I mainly throw rainbow trout swimbaits and black/orange Mepps Musky Killers and have had a few eat them, but I've never landed one "completely".

I would love to have a nice picture of a musky before the year is over. What are your most productive baits and where/when do you fish these baits? Any and all help...much appreciated!

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Musky Lures

Post by Mattman » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:14 am

senkoman85 wrote:I TRY to fish for muskies in a lake that's been stocked since 1975. They are tiger musky and I have seem some big ones. I have seen them eat baby ducks and they absolutly destroy the rainbow trout that the state stocks the lake with.

I am wondering about lures for all times of the year. I mainly throw rainbow trout swimbaits and black/orange Mepps Musky Killers and have had a few eat them, but I've never landed one "completely".

I would love to have a nice picture of a musky before the year is over. What are your most productive baits and where/when do you fish these baits? Any and all help...much appreciated!

Later in the fall trolling deep diving (25' - 30') crankbaits is always a good tactic for me. Lil Ernie's for instance.

Definately key in on that Trout pattern. Popular forage and one that is high in fat so there are some great calories there for the fish.

Bucktails are one of my favorite baits. A buddy of mine produces a rubber skirted bucktail that has been just awesome for me. This time of year we tend to see a lot of Muskie up in the bulrushes. Chartreuse blade with a blue skirt. Purple skirt as well.

Fish the tops of humps with jerkbaits. Suick. Castic makes a jerk swimbait.

Those are kind of my most used tactics from here til the end of the open water. Although bucktails tend to a great choice all year.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Otterods - High performance hand crafted fishing rods

RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:20 am

Try 1 Bulldogs, 2 Storm 10" Kickin Minnow, 3 Grinders Spinner baits, 4 American HardWood Topwater baits GOOD LUCK

Schuler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Schuler » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:38 pm

Gliders are really underrated. I use them more than anything else for muskies. Hellhounds, phantoms, undertakers...ect. When the water is cold use live suckers on a quick-strike rig. Otherwise, if its legal you can try the trout.

Want
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Want » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:53 pm

Don't know what kind of water you fish: murky, clear, cold, warm, etc. but you have been given some good advice. Another option you may consider that I've had success on (and tied to Mattman's comments re: the bulrushes) is that I've caught a couple this past couple of weeks using a Booyah 1/2 swimming jig (black) with a 5" black grub. Like a glider in some ways I suppose. The water where I fish currently is about 71 degrees, and I caught them next to the cane in about 3 feet of water. Good luck.

murphy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by murphy » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:23 pm

The double cow girls are suppose to be one of the hotter baits in the last year or so.
When I grow up, I want to be like Cal

mustfishmore
Angler
Angler

Post by mustfishmore » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:32 am

I would agree that Double Cowgirls have achieved a great reputation for taking big muskies. Spring time fishing I'd probably go with a number of different color bucktails as my first choice and not necessarily the largest ones. Early in the year smaller, ~1 to 1-1/2 oz, can be productive for both muskies and pike.

Trooper46
Angler
Angler

Post by Trooper46 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:41 pm

I must have the same luck as you. I have caught countless pike but I have yet to boat a musky. I got real close last year, but a crappy hook let the beast free right at the side of the boat. Lake monona musky have really learned how to fight.

I seem to catch a lot of larger pike on 6 inch jakes. I added some lead to a few of mine to make them suspend. I work them like any suspending jerk bait that you would use for bass.

Another tip for finding them in the early season is to find the warm water. Look for warm water run offs, shallow dark bottomed bays, emerging weeds, sunny shore lines, or anything that looks like it maybe warmer than the rest of the lake.

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ppFishing » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:43 pm

murphy wrote:The double cow girls are suppose to be one of the hotter baits in the last year or so.
Tough to beat the DC girls. Only issue is you need a really good reel for it.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:35 pm

Baby ducks? Try throwing a Topraider or a Giant Jackpot. Hope your heart is healthy!
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Trooper46
Angler
Angler

Post by Trooper46 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:40 am

I picked up 2 whopper ploppers for this year. Hope I get the strikes Larry gets wit them.

mck1975
Angler
Angler

Post by mck1975 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:11 pm

ppFishing wrote:
murphy wrote:The double cow girls are suppose to be one of the hotter baits in the last year or so.
Tough to beat the DC girls. Only issue is you need a really good reel for it.
i bit the bullet and picked up a Toro Winch and I'm here to tell ya, it is the ticket. You can throw the girls around all day long with no problem.
GO BUCKS - O-H-I-O