basic requirements for fishing wacky-rig

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
Bernhard
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

basic requirements for fishing wacky-rig

Post by Bernhard » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:44 am

Hello!

What are the basic requirements for fishing with the wacky-rig?

Has the water to be very clear?
Should I always use so less weight as possible?
Is wacky rig only for shallow water?
Should the water be warm (better in summer or autumn)?

Thank you for your help and please excuse my bad english!

senkoman85
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: basic requirements for fishing wacky-rig

Post by senkoman85 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:14 am

The wacky rig is very versitile. Clear water definatly helps with a wacky rig, but the water does NOT have to be clear. I've had plenty of days where the water is heavily stained and the bass will tear the WW senko up.

Typically, there is no wieght used on the wacky rig. It gives the worm a "wiggle" that the wieght hinders. However, you can wacky rig baits and put them on a dropshot rig or a jighead and have good results in specific areas (suspended fish on the DS rig, or fish hugging the bottom on the jighead).

Wacky Worming shines in shallow water in my opinion. 10 feet or less is where I do most of it. Along boat docks, trees, grass lines, ect are my top areas. When fish go deep, the wacky rig still produces, but be prepared to WAIT WAIT WAIT to allow your worm to sink down deep. It does take a long time for those worms to fall....it can be painstakingly annoying.

There's no tempurature range that I've found for the WW. It works in all seasons, but I throw it more in the summer when the bite is tough. Always seems to produce.

hope this helps!!

Alexriver
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alexriver » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:19 pm

I would just add a favorite of mine:

use a red Gamakatsu hook with the senko.

bab33face
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bab33face » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:35 pm

Anyone figure out any ideas that would help keep the senko last a little longer?

I've seen the o-ring idea. Is there any other ideas?

Rob
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rob » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:00 pm

The o-ring idea works for me really good

progressive816
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by progressive816 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:59 pm

For wacky rigging, I just started using shrink tubing in 1/2 inch diameter and then shrinking it tight for fitment on 4 and 5in senkos. It works pretty good and are widely available at any hardware or autoparts store.
Pb-LMB 6lb7oz

angler96
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by angler96 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:45 am

I have seen a guy use a wood burning kit to melt plastics back together.

Trooper46
Angler
Angler

Post by Trooper46 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:40 am

I throw wacky worms alot and in almost all conditions. Most of my luck has been as a follow up or when the fish are shallow and not hitting anything else.

I have found them deadly in creeks and streams. Toss them in/near a current break, under cut, over hang, or bend and have fun.

I even hooked into a tiger musky with a 4inch watermellon red flake BPS sticko last year. Awesome fight on ML spinning gear, even if the beast straightened and tossed my hook with one good run and jump.

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:48 pm

The wacky rig is a very versatile fishing technique.

If I'm taking it easy, just fishing a couple of hours after work, I like rigging two rods with wacky rigged 5" senkos. Cast one rod out, take a couple of swigs of a drink, then cast out the other rod. When you see your line moving, you got a fish. It's a slow, yet productive way of fishing.

On rivers, I love wacky rigging a Case SSS / fluke and twitching it on the upper water column. The key is to rig the hook slightly closer to the head (not dead in the middle of the fluke).

Flick shaking is a deep water wacky rig technique, which is my absolute favorite way to catch bass in deep, clear spring fed lakes. I like rigging a 5" senko with a 1/16 to 3/32 oz jig head. Cast out, let the senko sink to the bottom, and then gently shake your rod tip.

I prefer using a ML to Medium rod with 6 - 10 lb fluoro or thin diameter braid w/ fluoro leader, but you can get away with using anything.

mrborohachi
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrborohachi » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:39 pm

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:47 pm

mrborohachi wrote:heres a good hook to use
http://www.gamakatsu.com/new_products/n ... edless.htm
I have good luck with these hooks, but the weedguard gets balled up now and then. I'm going to give their new model a try. (below)

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gamakats ... -GWWH.html
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Bassboss
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassboss » Mon May 09, 2011 3:35 pm

There are none man. In fact, I think there are barly any hard fast rules in bass fishing. How ever certain things are tried and tested to work. Yes, Wacky rigs generally work better in warmer water, and I like 'em around grass a lot, clearer water produces for me better, but I've caught 'em on a WR in murky water too. I like less weight, but don't need it. Light to no wind is better, helps with line watching and keeping the bait falling straight down, rather than drifting all over the place. More natural colors work better I think. Shallower water is easier to fish 'em in because they sink so slow. I generally ad no weight, or a light split shot.

bhyatt6
Angler
Angler

Post by bhyatt6 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:32 am

what size finesse wide gap hook?? i generally use a wr for fishing shallow docks and weedlines, but i am wondering what size FWG hook to use