Which Rapala DTs for Mark Twain Lake in MO

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
kramr
Angler
Angler

Which Rapala DTs for Mark Twain Lake in MO

Post by kramr » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:21 am

Hi,

New to posting though I come to this website frequently.

BPS has them on sale and I am going to buy a set. I was wanting to know what depths and colors would work well on this lake.

The lake is generally fairly clear and I find my self fishing around dead trees and other underwater structure in 20 to 30 feet of water. The fish are holding around 10 - 15 feet, at least the ones I see on my fishfinder.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Which Rapala DTs for Mark Twain Lake in MO

Post by Nitroman77 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:12 am

Hey mark where you from in MO?? IM right across the street from BPS in saint chuck. I don't know if you mean which colors or what depths, but I would go with the shad color 06 and maybe one of the chromes if its sunny out. Ive also used SBs up there and have done really well. This time of year though the bass seem to be feeding on crawfish as I've caught several fish the past week with craws in the throat. 8-) Oh id also try albino flukes as ive done well with those there during the fall.
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:51 am

Mark,
Shad colored cranks do work well at Mark Twain, although I haven't fished the DTs over there yet. The Rick Clunn Blue Bream 1.5's also work well in the fall. Red shad TR 7" Berkely worms work fine just about any time of year, and around gravel or rocks try heavier Bitsy Buggs with darker colored craw trailers. If the water is clear, also try bigger Pop-rs or spooks, around the standing timber in deeper coves.

Chuck
TackleTour
Contributing Editor, Gear Crew Member and Moderator

kramr
Angler
Angler

Post by kramr » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:31 pm

Thanks for the replys guys. I prefer shad patterns in natural colors so your suggestions confirm what I was thinking. Also, thanks for the additional suggestions. My wife and I just started fishing Mark Twain so we are still trying to get the lay of it. We were just there last weekend as well and fished the Indian creek arms.

Skeeter, we are headed to the St. Charles BPS this weekend to stockup. Seems like we go there a lot. Probably have seen you and just didn't know it. BTW, what's SBs?

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:22 am

Hot Mustard.. probably the most productive color scheme when it comes to sheer number of lakes/bodys of water ive fished it in. I like the DT-4s and 6s the best. Dont forget the Sure Set hooks, they do make a difference!

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:35 am

SBs are spinner baits. :lol: Man id like to hit Twain this weekend, i just hate driving up there since there are a few other places with much better fish..What boat do you have? :lol:
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

kramr
Angler
Angler

Post by kramr » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:00 am

I have a 17 foot white Triton aluminum with a 75 hp merc. Was able to hit 43 on the speedo last time there.

My wife and I prefer Truman or Table Rock but it's too far for a weekend.