Another fine day on the River

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Another fine day on the River

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:44 pm

The season is drawing to a close here. This morning it was 39 degrees and as I drove to the river there was a fair amount of snow on the tops of the Owyhee Mountains to the south.

I had a fine day even though I didn't take off my winter fishing coat until around 2 PM. I had a nice fish on immediately and assumed it was a catfish due to the feel of the weight. When it flashed it's broad bronze side to me I knew I had a dandy smallmouth. This one was 20". The rod is a Loomis Bronzeback 6'9" jerkbait rod. The reel is my Conquest 50S. The bait was a 4" Yum Dinger in blue/black. It was nose hooked with one split shot about 8" above the hook. This was at the head of a riffle in about 2' of water. It took on a dead drift.

A few casts later I got this fish. I didn't think it was as big as it was, coming in fairly easily, but it was almost 19". This one took a white 1/4 oz spinnerbait with chartreuse curltail trailer. The rod is a Steez 6'3" MH and the reel is a Steez. (for those of you who like light outfits, this one only weighs 8.9 oz. on a postal scale).

The fish reduced in size after those two, but I did catch around 15, with the rest being 12-15". The temperature finally reached about 65 by late afternoon.

backcast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Another fine day on the River

Post by backcast » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:24 pm

ROG,
Great day, fish, and outfits. Hope the weather holds for awhile and you get in several more good days this Fall.

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:49 pm

Extremely jealous!! Haven't caught my favorite species of freshwater fish in years! And you couldn't have done it with better reels!
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

padavid
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by padavid » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:08 am

Good deal on finding those cooler water Smallies - the temps are dropping here and the smallie action has really slowed down.

Do you find that a slower presentation helps?

Are the fish still in the fast water or have they moved to deeper holes for you?

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:46 am

The water temperature yesterday was 57. The two fish pictured were in about 2' of water at the head of a riffle leading to a long deep pool. I found most of my other fish in 4-8 feet of water on bars leading to deeper water. I drifted one very long run where the fish have been all summer and found only a couple of fish.

I think the fish are starting to drift down into the deeper water, but will still be quite active for a month or so. The fish were very aggressive taking the spinnerbait, and it was the best bait yesterday.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:20 pm

Exellent catches ROG...and the outfits rock too!

BTW, smallies will hit cranks even in the coldest of water...they will surprise you.

Drop Shot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Drop Shot » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:54 pm

Great store and nice fish =D> =D>

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:40 am

Wow, was I surprised to see this 4 year old post revived. Things have changed a bit since that day in 2007. I have customized the Loomis Bronzeback rod by removing the foregrip and splitting the rear grip. The Conquest 50S is still mounted on that rod and it is one of my favorite combos for smallies. The Steez rod has been passed on to another TT fisherman. I felt that the sensitivity of that rod was really bad for a $500 rod, and got my money out of it and moved on. I still have the Steez reel, along with another one.

More important than the tackle, I am still able to spend 4-5 days on the river with those wonderful smallies, even though I'll be 80 on my next birthday. Our spring was very slow coming, but this past week the fishing was terrific.

Capt Ray
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Capt Ray » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:55 am

Reel Old Geezer wrote:Wow, was I surprised to see this 4 year old post revived. Things have changed a bit since that day in 2007. I have customized the Loomis Bronzeback rod by removing the foregrip and splitting the rear grip. The Conquest 50S is still mounted on that rod and it is one of my favorite combos for smallies. The Steez rod has been passed on to another TT fisherman. I felt that the sensitivity of that rod was really bad for a $500 rod, and got my money out of it and moved on. I still have the Steez reel, along with another one.

More important than the tackle, I am still able to spend 4-5 days on the river with those wonderful smallies, even though I'll be 80 on my next birthday. Our spring was very slow coming, but this past week the fishing was terrific.
I sure hope I am as sprite as you when I get to your "mature" age. That gives me another 30 years, bet you have learned a few tricks over the years.