Skipping your cast

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Skipping your cast

Post by Gblaze » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:51 pm

I'd like to get some feedback on what set-ups and baits are the best for skipping under docks?

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Skipping your cast

Post by fishingandfords » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:39 pm

Around here using spinning gear to skip tubes under docks is big as well as skipping finesse jigs

jbassc
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jbassc » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:07 am

Shakeyhead is my first choice second is a finnese jig,Its best to use spiining gear.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:12 am

For me, a short (6 foot or so) spinning rod works better than a long one for dock skipping. A light reel with a large spool, like a Patriarch 9540, helps with heavier line.

Nytron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Nytron » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:04 pm

With spinning tackle, the best cast for skipping lures is the pitch skipping technique. The sidearm technique is also good for when the boat is angled just right and is overall easier to do, but the pitch skipping technique is usable at pretty much any angle so you can spend less time on boat control. The key to getting the lure to skip is to keep a low trajectory with your rod tip just like when you skip a rock across the water with your hands/wrist.

Another video showing pitching and pitch skipping: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 7z55yNkl9A

Short rod, light braid with solid body weightless baits is a good starting point. Plastics that aren't that dense or have a lot of appendages might need extra weight (pitchin' jig, nail weight). A 5'10" St. Croix Legend Tournament Bass TBS510MXF + Shimano CI4 2500f is the setup I'm going with next year for skipping. The LTB rods come with Fuji K guides that prevent a very specific tangle that occurs when the line wraps around the biggest guide, this can happen a lot when it's windy and you are using thin braid while pitch skipping.

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Gblaze » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:11 am

Thanks guys- I think this spring I will add a spinning combo for this very purpose

mattfish11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mattfish11 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:31 am

Definitely recommend fishing spinning gear for skipping! I love skipping stick baits and tubes up under and around docks. They work the best!

I've seen people skipping jigs under docks with baitcasters... but i've yet to be as efficient as a spinning combo. :idea:

alkaiser
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by alkaiser » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:47 pm

anyone have any tips on skipping with baitcasters?

i've been practicing a bit but getting backlash sometimes :)

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Gblaze » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:55 am

Any other recommendations on spinning rods for this? I will not buy St Croix

Pin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Pin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:43 pm

Gloomis Bronzeback series, 752 or 753, both 6'3" rods. Daiwa Fuego 6'6"

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:36 pm

I found the best way to skip using a baitcaster is using a rod with a softer tip. Skipping using an extra fast tip makes it more difficult as the rod can't load as well and slingshot the bait. Make sure to back off on the cast control so the line flows off easily and do not set your brakes up really high. You don't want the reel to slow down and stop the bait, you want to do that manually.

You do not need to bat a home run when you're trying to skip either. It's more important to get the trajectory of the bait down rather than the forceful speed. Also, after you release the spool and the bait begins to fly forward you need to use your thumb to feather the spool to prevent overrun and also at the same time you want to bring the rod back the opposite way the bait is going. It's a little difficult to explain, but don't completely follow through with the cast like you normally would...kinda bring the rod back a little bit which allows a little more line to come off the spool.

Practice makes perfect.

It's much easier to skip using braided line on a baitcaster. It's also much easier to skip baits like hollow body frogs, Senkos, and finesse jigs. Start off using braid and skipping frogs or Senkos and then slowly move to monofilament with jigs and eventually you'll get to skipping the more difficult stuff on fluorocarbon.

KillaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KillaBass » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:19 pm

yea i skip with a spinning reel..i have done it with a bait caster but its alott harder
https://www.youtube.com/@KeePReeLing

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:45 am

i personally like a shorter spinning rod. I don't carry it w/ me unless i know i'm going to be skipping docks cause its the only tech i use it for. I use an older 6'6'' fenwick. i like skipping fluke type baits like the keitech shad impact, also i'll skip flat creature baits, (beavers) and finesse light 1/4 oz finesse jigs. i'll generally only skip docks that are low to the water 1 to 2 ft off water, especially when its sunny. the only time i'll fish docks way off the water is if there are a lot of large, fat pilings for bass to hide behind

teamdaiwa5
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by teamdaiwa5 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:29 pm

Skipping with a bait caster is just like anything else. it takes practice. Loosen up that brake and use your thumb. I especially like a good fast action, keeps the bait moving and allows for a soft entry. The head makes all the difference. Arkie head, stone jig, if it has a flat side, it's probably easier to skip. A bulky trailer will help too.

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:43 pm

Practice is everything! ;) IMO, becoming great at skipping with a baitcaster will lead to mastering pitching. I used to think I was great at pitching (both accuracy and the soft entry). That was until I learned to skip well. Now pitching is friggin' art!
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org