New Trout rig. 4 me

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
yosemite17
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

New Trout rig. 4 me

Post by yosemite17 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:26 pm

I have started using a Trout drop shot rig. I take a VMC spinshot hook #8 and mold a powerbait trout dough egg on it and a 1/8th wt. all tied with Sunline finness FC. It works well even in streams. Anyone else tried this?

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: New Trout rig. 4 me

Post by Teal101 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:45 am

yosemite17 wrote:I have started using a Trout drop shot rig. I take a VMC spinshot hook #8 and mold a powerbait trout dough egg on it and a 1/8th wt. all tied with Sunline finness FC. It works well even in streams. Anyone else tried this?
I use a Jackall Crosstail Shad :-$

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:19 am

yosemite17 wrote:I have started using a Trout drop shot rig. I take a VMC spinshot hook #8 and mold a powerbait trout dough egg on it and a 1/8th wt. all tied with Sunline finness FC. It works well even in streams. Anyone else tried this?
I've been fishing a dropshot with the trout power worms and other tiny worms wacky-rigged for about fifteen years in the Eastern Sierras and also east of Seattle. I usually do one trip in the spring and another in the fall. I haven't had to fish live bait or dough bait since. I usually start with a spinner and clean up with the drop shot. I'm throwing 5lb. Sniper in heavy cover areas with bigger fish and 4lb. in more open areas with smaller fish. The weight depends on the depth and current from 1/16 to 3/16.
I fish with about a dozen of my old neighborhood friends. They often challenge me to catch fish on a bare red hook twitching on a drop shot rig when we fish pools with a recent trout stocking. I rarely let them down. That's how effective the action of a drop shot rig that suspends in front of the fish can be. :o

hawkoath
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hawkoath » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:57 pm

We do this all the time in WA fishing for trout in lakes varying the leader length according the fish depth. The weight of the sinker can also greatly vary depending on desired casting distance, sensitivity, etc.. You can also use this general concept to create some other unique fishing techniques to suit the the lake. This is one of the most popular ways of fishing for trout here.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:04 am

hawkoath wrote:We do this all the time in WA fishing for trout in lakes varying the leader length according the fish depth. The weight of the sinker can also greatly vary depending on desired casting distance, sensitivity, etc.. You can also use this general concept to create some other unique fishing techniques to suit the the lake. This is one of the most popular ways of fishing for trout here.
I showed the dropshot rig with power worms to a few of my wife's cousins from Covington, a suburb near Seattle. They are primarily spinner fisherman and the occasional fly. They were surprised that I could catch more fish in their home waters than them.
They hike frequently in the mountains east of Seattle and catch lots of protected Bull Trout (man they are ugly) on this setup. They recently e-mailed a few pictures of fish estimated at 7 pounds.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:44 pm

Bait fishing with this tech has been around for decades...I fish catfish, carp, suckers and trout this way back in the early 80s.

Works well and allows for setting the distance of the hook/hooks from the bottom (which helps to keep your bait at a certain height off of the bottom). With bait fishing, there are literally dozens of ways to rig up, i.e., panfish, to stripers, to cats, to trout, walleyes, bass, perch, and waters from ponds to streams, rivers, lakes, etc. Add in type of bait, depth of water, time of year, and so on, and it is amazing how many ways there are to rig up.

Good work man.

socal cranker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by socal cranker » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:57 am

Dropshotting for trout is a killer technique. I love it!

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:53 am

toddmc wrote:
hawkoath wrote:We do this all the time in WA fishing for trout in lakes varying the leader length according the fish depth. The weight of the sinker can also greatly vary depending on desired casting distance, sensitivity, etc.. You can also use this general concept to create some other unique fishing techniques to suit the the lake. This is one of the most popular ways of fishing for trout here.
I showed the dropshot rig with power worms to a few of my wife's cousins from Covington, a suburb near Seattle. They are primarily spinner fisherman and the occasional fly. They were surprised that I could catch more fish in their home waters than them.
They hike frequently in the mountains east of Seattle and catch lots of protected Bull Trout (man they are ugly) on this setup. They recently e-mailed a few pictures of fish estimated at 7 pounds.
Bull Trout are gorgeous :lol:

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:00 am

Teal101 wrote:
toddmc wrote:
Bull Trout are gorgeous :lol:
I still like catching them! I just don't want to sleep with them. They are like a cross between a char, musky, and snakehead. The ones that my wife's cousins are catching in the Cascades are in real dark remote water and especially ugly. I caught a few planted ones that were a little better looking.

hawkoath
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hawkoath » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:40 pm

toddmc wrote:
Spinner and Fly. It sounds like your wife's cousins are more the catch and release type. The two most popular types of trout fishing around the places I've fished are 1. Bobber and 1a. Carolina Rig with power bait (or the reverse depending on the area) but you see people doing just about everything to catch trout here in WA. Bull Trout/Dolly Varden - interesting choice that they decided to target those. There really aren't that many of them around here. Salmon and Steelhead/Rainbow are the most popular fisheries and much easier to target. Bull trout aren't really the best looking fish in the world but as to being ugly though. I'm wondering if its because the genetic pool is so small around here (I haven't caught any).

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:48 am

hawkoath wrote:
toddmc wrote:
Spinner and Fly. It sounds like your wife's cousins are more the catch and release type. The two most popular types of trout fishing around the places I've fished are 1. Bobber and 1a. Carolina Rig with power bait (or the reverse depending on the area) but you see people doing just about everything to catch trout here in WA. Bull Trout/Dolly Varden - interesting choice that they decided to target those. There really aren't that many of them around here. Salmon and Steelhead/Rainbow are the most popular fisheries and much easier to target. Bull trout aren't really the best looking fish in the world but as to being ugly though. I'm wondering if its because the genetic pool is so small around here (I haven't caught any).
They are catch and release guys that like to stay away from the crowds. They also have a place at Mt. Hood and are extreme skiers/outdoorsman that like to hike long distances in remote areas. We probably covered ten+ miles a day on foot last time we were there. They said the big bull trout in the pictures they sent me were from a remote place that was a several hour hike each way that very few people fish. They fish the Middle Fork with spinners for rainbows most often because it is close to where they grew up. Yes, the genetic pool of bull trout is very small from what I know, but they were saying that WA is reintroducing them like many of the other species of trout here in CA.