Texas rigging paddle tail swimbaits

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Texas rigging paddle tail swimbaits

Post by Obz » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:58 am

Anyone deep drag Texas rigged paddle tail swimbaits? I'm talking 15+ feet the way you might a worm or craw? I have some swing tail shad and when I swim them they are pike magnets. Just looking to put them to use another way. Pike are such a newscense fish.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Texas rigging paddle tail swimbaits

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:48 am

all the time or on a football head.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:32 pm

Thanks! I'll give it a shot this weekend

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:08 pm

I do - 1/4Oz bullet weight, Owner hook with CPS spring and Keitech Fat Impact 3.8"

Last edited by Cracker on Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:20 pm

Cracker wrote:I do - 1/4Oz bullet weight, Owner hook with CPS spring and Keitech Fat Impact 3.8"
Ok I have always ran them on a EWG lead head, like the owner bullet head (for the smaller keitechs). I also use weedless swimbait hooks for larger ones, and the flashy swimmers. I also use the VMC Rugby heads for larger Keitechs as I prefer the action they give when the lead head is attached. The football head works great too.

The question I have is if I use a 3/8 weight and like an Owner 2/0 or 3/0 Twist lock 3X, will the Keitech roll over? The one time I tried to texas rig them, it kept flipping over, running sideways, or spinning. This is why I always try to use some variation of a jighead, either with a wide gap hook molded into it or a weed guard protecting the point. Do TX rigged Keitechs roll on anyone else???

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:56 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Cracker wrote:I do - 1/4Oz bullet weight, Owner hook with CPS spring and Keitech Fat Impact 3.8"
Ok I have always ran them on a EWG lead head, like the owner bullet head (for the smaller keitechs). I also use weedless swimbait hooks for larger ones, and the flashy swimmers. I also use the VMC Rugby heads for larger Keitechs as I prefer the action they give when the lead head is attached. The football head works great too.
The question I have is if I use a 3/8 weight and like an Owner 2/0 or 3/0 Twist lock 3X, will the Keitech roll over? The one time I tried to texas rig them, it kept flipping over, running sideways, or spinning. This is why I always try to use some variation of a jighead, either with a wide gap hook molded into it or a weed guard protecting the point. Do TX rigged Keitechs roll on anyone else???
It probably will. I use that rig with non-pegged weight for bottom application only, all movement done by rod, use a reel only to pick a slack. I believe bass bites that swimbait better during cold months shad die-off vs standard worm or craw.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:30 pm

Cracker wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
It probably will. I use that rig with non-pegged weight for bottom application only, all movement done by rod, use a reel only to pick a slack. I believe bass bites that swimbait better during cold months shad die-off vs standard worm or craw.
So will the swimbait roll over while reeling?

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:36 pm

Google Scoobythrough rig

Great for bottom tracing paddle tails. Casts further too

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:19 pm

I don't usually T-Rig 'cause they twist up the line without a keel weight, but I found that the Gamakatsu G-Lock hooks hold the Keitechs better than an EWG.