What Other Species Have You Caught by Accident?

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: What Other Species Have You Caught by Accident?

Post by mark poulson » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:27 pm

Bronzeye wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:13 am
mark poulson wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:39 am
Both the carp and catfish, both over 20lbs, ruined the aluminum gears in two baitcasters!
Bummer! Shimanos (Micro Module?) Daiwas, or....?
They were both on Quantum Smoke original 7/1 Burners. Fortunately, the 7/1 brass main gears from their Vapor bait caster fit the Smoke reels, and I was able to order enough of them separately to replace all of my Smoke burner bait casters, and have never had a problem with any of them, even after catching 15lb stripers on them.

I forgot I also caught a Pidgeon, a Coot, a Cormorant, and a seagull. I had to net the seagull, and then cover it with a cloth so I could get it untangled and set free. I was surprised how many sharp parts it had on it.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:53 pm

Thanks for the reply. I probably wouldn't have thought to check the gear interchangeability.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:26 am

It used to be easy to compare when they had the website Tackleservice.com. The site had schematics and specs. for most Quantum reels. But when Rather bought Zebco, they dropped the website.
Bummer! Kinda like when Lowrance lost Linda Tripp as a service rep. Their service went straight downhill.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:09 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:01 pm
Sauger, walleye, saugeye, yellow perch, wiper, striper, white bass, sand(yellow) bass, catfish, jack(pickerel), trout, pike, BIG bluegill, shallcracker, BIG crappie, snapping turtle, various snakes, blue heron, osprey, etc, etc, etc.
And I forgot about a BiG bowfin that I thought might be a Lake Oconee record largemouth. I was 12, tossing a bass-colored wiggle wart and running the front of the boat while my dad ate a sandwich. We were both freaked out until I got the fish up and we saw what it was. It was easily over 12#, and as mean as my older brother. That old Shimano Bantam Pro Mag made short work of that fish, though.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:14 am

On a recent trout fishing excursion in Florida, I caught this bass and cichlid. Surprisingly, no trout. You never know what your going to get..
IMG_9668 (1).jpg
IMG_9668 (1).jpg (101.29 KiB) Viewed 5944 times
IMG_9671 (1).jpg
IMG_9671 (1).jpg (105.18 KiB) Viewed 5944 times

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:53 am

Northern Pike, Tiger Musky, Brown Trout, Sheepshead, Bullhead, Bowfin, Walleye, Yellow Perch, Crappie, Rock Bass, Bluegill, Sunfish, Pickerel, Snapping Turtle, Seagull, Bullfrog

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:35 pm

Why is it than when you hook into a big fish, there's usually a crowd of people start to gather about or some nosy fishermen from way beyond decides to come over. It could be just two boats on the entire lake and they will still come over. :lol:

But that time when I hooked into a snapping turtle on my Top Raider lure. Supposedly I was fishing for Musky's. Anyway felt like I was dragging a submerged timber through the water for who knows how long. Probably at least 20 minutes but who's timing it. Lucky for the long jaw pliers. Even more lucky was that only the turtle was upper lip hooked. So the release was scarry but easy with just one flick of the wrist.

I've hooked into a large soft shell turtle before and pulled it ashore. Gosh the whole treble inside it's mouth. Maybe spent at least 20 minutes fighting that thing pulling on the lure and line trying to pull it's head out of it's shell so I can pry open it's mouth to twist some leverage into the treble to get it out. Then again who's timing it?

I don't want to ever catch another monster lake sturgeon while ice fishing anymore. I don't care how much initial adrenaline rush you get, but say after like an hour, you will be super tired and drenched in sweat. Lucky I was still kind of younger back then. Now only the worst thing is, finding out the gill plate on the fish was about the size of your ice hole. I probably needed like double diameter of that to even pull the fish up through the ice. And yeah, around 20 inches of ice thickness, well that's not easy drilling a hole of that size unless one has already prepared a spear hole of that size in advance. Now just another story of how the big one got away. Just lucky the fish never decided to run the 100 yards of line out on the reel. When the sturgeon finally got it's tail wrapped around my line just under the ice hole, that was the cutting factor at one big tail flip and gone...but now when I see the big one coming on the flasher, I ain't trying to catch them anymore when I'm trying to catch crappies. :big grin:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:52 pm

Don't know why I didn't remember to add alligators to my earlier list. Down on Seminole , Orange/Lochloosa and Stick Marsh, those 2 footers will absolutely demolish a topwater. You hardly ever see them coming, either. I've pulled at least 10 of them into the boat to get my pop-r back over the years. Gotta be careful because they will throw a hook into your hand.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:24 am

Why is it than when you hook into a big fish, there's usually a crowd of people start to gather about or some nosy fishermen from way beyond decides to come over. It could be just two boats on the entire lake and they will still come over.

The same reason that I was suddenly on the hottest spot on the lake when my 16 year old came along to sunbath on my back deck in her bikini! :lol: :lol: :lol:

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:57 pm

I just remember that one time I caught a freshwater oyster on my inline spinner Rooster Tail. What are the chances of a clam coming down river at just the right time with it's clam open just to clamp down my my inline spinner? I thought I caught the weirdest fighting fish that just seemed to plane and drag in the river current. Dang stupid freshwater oyster.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

sbd3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sbd3 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:18 am

Incidental catches while largemouth bass fishing:
Crappie, bluegill, rock bass, white bass, walleye, northern pike, musky, tiger musky, drum, dogfish/mudfish, catfish, gar, common carp, mayan cichlid, tilapia, peacock bass, bullfrog, alligator - hooked and played but not boated.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:09 pm

I forgot the non-fish species on my list.
Mallard in mid-air with a spook
Grebes
Cormorant
Coots
Heron
Several kinds of turtles
Beaver
Sea lion
Geez I fish a lot! :D

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:35 pm

toddmc wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:09 pm
Grebes
Cormorant
Coots
Heron
Several kinds of turtles
Beaver
Sea lion
Did you boat flip the sea lion, or was it a long distance release?

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:57 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:35 pm
toddmc wrote:
Grebes
Cormorant
Coots
Heron
Several kinds of turtles
Beaver
Sea lion
I've had them come up and eat my bait in Newport Harbor while walking docks for spotted sea bass. They just swim off and spool you. I started to carry an extra spool of line after it happened the first time. :crying:

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:59 pm

toddmc wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:57 pm
mark poulson wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:35 pm
toddmc wrote:
Grebes
Cormorant
Coots
Heron
Several kinds of turtles
Beaver
Sea lion
I've had them come up and eat my bait in Newport Harbor while walking docks for spotted sea bass. They just swim off and spool you. I started to carry an extra spool of line after it happened the first time. :crying:
That sounds brutal. I imagine that, by the time you can cut your line, half the spool of line is gone