Sad Week

nfocus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Sad Week

Post by nfocus » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:57 pm

I just wanted to take a minute or two to post about the saddest week I've ever experienced in my life. I do this for a couple of reasons.

First, it is a way of expressing to those who have sent me PM's that I haven't forgotten about you, I've just been a little preoccupied.

Secondly, it's sort of cathartic tribute...

My father passed away earlier this week. He was 82 and a veteran of the US Army, serving combat tours in WWII, Korea and Vietnam. He had been battling illness for the past five years and on Tuesday of this week, he fought his final fight.

I have much to be thankful for...for it is he, along with my grandfather, who passed on their love of the outdoors, and most especially fishing, to me. But more than that, he taught me what it was like to be a real man. Compassion and kindness to others, the love of family and friends...Christian morals and values (I mean no disrespect to those of you of other faiths, I truly respect all of you and your right to worship as you may)...and so very, very much more.

The next time I wet I a line, well...this one's for you, Dad.

-D

venomous grin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Sad Week

Post by venomous grin » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:27 pm

My condolences, he'll be with you all the time now...
Last edited by venomous grin on Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Made In The U.S.A.

arbogastjunkie
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by arbogastjunkie » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:02 pm

My condolences go out to you and your family

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:24 pm

My condolences and prayers to you and yours.

mrgadget
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by mrgadget » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:58 am

My dad is 82 also, and still with us. I can only imagine your sense of loss... God go with you.. May His Spirit comfort you. Gadget

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:28 am

This probably doesn't help but I lost my Dad a year and a half ago and fully understand your loss. Be strong...honor his memory.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

halibaitor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by halibaitor » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:22 am

I lost my father on Halloween Day in 1999. I still miss him and dream about him often. My earliest memories are riding on his shoulders while hiking 2 miles to a lake to go fishing... He was 86 years old.

My condolences to you and your family...

Alexriver
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alexriver » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:52 pm

My condolences. He lived a long life, 82 years, and from what you wrote, he lived it with purpose and accomplishment.

nfocus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nfocus » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:12 am

Thank you each and every one of you for your replies. It means a lot.

I've said all my life, indeed so did my dad, that fishermen are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet in your entire life.

-D

reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by reelblues » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:53 pm

Nfocus,
Getting in a little late, but wanted to tell you how sorry I am to hear about your loss. My dad is dealing with cancer, and will not be here much longer. The happiest memories I have of my childhood are of the days we went fishing together.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after"
Thoreau

Scot
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Scot » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:40 am

It's not my Dad but I lost my GrandFather about four years ago....it may sound corny but I walked away with a sense that I was a step closer to becoming a man...like it was nearing my time to have to really step up. Fortunately my Father is still with me but we lost my Mom a year and a half ago...the previous year and a half leading to her death up until just recently has literally been the most painful,powerless, deperate, and soul searching experience I've ever had to deal with..This River I live on has LITERALLY saved my life and my sanity. I will never be the same but not all is lost...I'm walking away stronger and more determined than ever to honor who my Mother was by simply being true to the person she raised....take the high road, do what is right, and do not compromise who you are for any reason even when somebody your dealing with is not deserving.....you know the way your Mother would look at you when you were up to no good...she seemed to just always know. It sucks but it's part of life that most of us will deal with at some point or another and although it is surreal at the present....what it all means to you and what it is going to mean to you in your life will become clear as time passes.

I'm genuinely not trying to turn your thread into my own...I'm simply sharing so you may find some words that may strike home w/you and maybe help you feel a little less alone.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:43 am

nfocus,

Getting to this late as well. My condolences to you and your family... so sorry for your loss.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:02 pm

nfocus,

I am so deeply sorry to hear of your loss.

As venomous grin said, he'll be with you always; every time you cast a popper in the early morning dawn, to the long run back in, water splashing against your face, and everything in-between.

-God bless,
Shaun

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Wed May 25, 2011 7:27 pm

WWII, Korea and Vietnam your father was a true hero and a great outdoorsman, we all miss men like him even if we didn't ever meet him. My condolences.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Thu May 26, 2011 2:55 am

I'm late on this one also. My condolences.

Lost my Dad in 2003, a day doesn't go by where I don't think of him. He was my fishing buddy and a WWII Vet also.

It's important we take take the time to build those memories while we have the opportunity.

Again..sorry to hear of your loss.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><