unclaimed wedding gift??

quickF4i
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

unclaimed wedding gift??

Post by quickF4i » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:30 pm

just a question for everyone as i need some input..

my girlfriend and i were guests at a friends wedding about 2 months ago. this was a friend we both went to high school with, but ive had very little contact with him since we graduated in '99, maybe ran into him 2-3 times since.. my girlfriend was a little closer to him, as they grew up in the same town, but has seen little of him as well since school...
anyhow, his family is pretty wealthy as they own several businesses, and they threw a rather large yet simple wedding for him with prob 300+ guests.. i think he is muslim, so the wedding party was a little different than most i have been to, and it was a pre-arranged marriage.

so that being that, i am not too familiar with their wedding customs.. but my girlfriend and i gave the new couple a check for $200. as a gift. i noticed that they had not cashed the check yet after 2 months, and it kinda bugs me cuz sometimes i forget about it when looking at my checking account balance! has anyone had this happen before?
i don't know if they simply lost the check, or refuse to accept gifts of this nature, or what the deal is..?

bigpapajim
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: unclaimed wedding gift??

Post by bigpapajim » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:23 pm

cancel it! :D

padavid
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by padavid » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:09 am

Put a stop payment on it then write a second check and mail it to me!

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:48 am

Since it was a gift I would just write the $200.00 out of your register and forget about it. If they never cash it you'll just be that much further along in your checking.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:04 pm

Cancel the check and send them the money in a money order or cashier's check.

It will resolve both sides...Of course you may want to notify them of this plan.

Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Papageno1791 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:53 am

In several banks they have a deadline to cash a check, I think 1 year is the most common term. After the deadline the check is not valid anymore. Ask your bank about it and forget the check during that period of time. If they don't have a deadline, fix it yourself and send a notification saying the check expires within 1 month (or whatever term you choose). If they don't cash it after the deadline, cancel it and buy a rod :evil22:
---- Catch & Release -----

Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fbass » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:39 am

I remember maybe 3 or 4 month after my wedding I went thru all the mail I got to send a thank you later. During this process I found 3 more checks I hadn't found the first time!
I think you should wait at least one year and then cancel it.