How do, YOU do it?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

How do, YOU do it?

Post by goldrod » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:01 am

SHAVING..

Do you use straight edge razors? If so is it the kind with the disposable blades or the one you have to sharpen?

If you use the disposable blade, what is a good brand for starters that is not cheap but not expensive?
I am wanting to learn how so I need to get something to start with.

If you use disposable razors not the straight edge ones, what is the brand and blade count that you like and why?
How long between shaves do you go max and what do you consider the most important part, the razor or the shave cream?

I am wanting a higher experience in shaving, maybe i am just getting older and want to do something different. I am not and electric shave guy but I have not tried it. I think it is a disconnect from the ritual of shaving if you will. I didnt learn from one person but more or less trial and error. I'd be very interested in your opinions and experiences.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: How do, YOU do it?

Post by goldrod » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:10 pm

No one shaves with straight razors or the disposable kind?

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Gblaze » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:15 pm

Ive never used a straight razor -
Ive been a disposable guy - though its more expensive over the long haul.
Last- couple of years I just buzz down to growth - not a clean shave- unless Im giving a lecture- or some formal event

I like gillete over schik. The sensitive edge gel shaving cream is my fav among shaving foams out there. I dont like electric for clean shaves-

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:53 pm

Haven't done a clean shave in decades. I trim the beard regularly with the electric trimmer and usually touch up with it as well. Occasionally (when I'm on the road) I touch up with a cheap Bic. A very long time ago I tried to use a str8 razor but the bleeding became problematic for me. :big grin:

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:49 pm

I have never used a straight razor. Never wanted to give my wife the opportunity to use one on me in my sleep. :lol:

I had used the two and three (and even four) blade razors by Gillette. You can try one of their two or three blade kits that routinely go on sale. (like printers, the get you to buy one of these kits with a few blades and hope you come back to buy the replacement blades which are quite expensive).

Honestly I had not noticed a significant difference between the different number of blade types as far as end shave result (two blades seemed to works as well as the 4 blade types). Replacement blades were becoming very expensive to buy so I started using the two and three blade disposable razors (Bic and others). Inexpensive, and did as good a job as the Gillette brand. All razor blades are extremely sharp but dull over time, and I cannot say I've noticed the more expensive ones lasting any longer than the cheapie disposables.

Since I retired I can go as long as a week between shaves. With a week's growth, the blade sharpness is the most important thing. Second is the shave cream or gel. I shave against the grain (upward) so if the blade is dulling, the shaving experience can be pretty painful regardless of the cream I use as the razor starts to pull rather than cut. So the blade sharpness is number one, cream is number two. However, both are necessary for a good overall experience.

FWIW, razors dull because they immediately start to rust after the first time you use them and store them away wet. You can extend their life considerably if you take the time to dry the razor head before storing them. It's a pain unless you routinely use a blow drier. Buying and using the disposable razors mitigates the expense if you choose to not dry the blades.

Nothing beats a super close shave. I had used an electric for a time, but even after shaving with one, I still felt stubble. Going the razor and cream route I wouldn't start feeling any stubble until 24 hours afterward (Unlike shaving with an electric where I feel that same 24 hours stubble I''m done shaving w/ the electric).

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:44 am

I use an Edwin Jagger, although there are several high quality brands out there. Unfortunately I don't know the model number.

I agree with USA-RET - disposable razor corporations have "programmed" the public to consume their overly priced and inferior razors for decades (the real scalping of the consumer comes in the form of the refill blades IMO). Additionally, these same companies will make obsolete every few years, their "latest & greatest" models. :roll:

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:20 am

dragon1 wrote:I use an Edwin Jagger, although there are several high quality brands out there. Unfortunately I don't know the model number.

I agree with USA-RET - disposable razor corporations have "programmed" the public to consume their overly priced and inferior razors for decades (the real scalping of the consumer comes in the form of the refill blades IMO). Additionally, these same companies will make obsolete every few years, their "latest & greatest" models. :roll:

More of a reason to learn to use a straight edge for me.
I cant imagine shaving and feeling stubble 24 hours after, that is fast.
I dont plan on letting no one shave me and I hope the learning curve isnt too bloody.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:30 am

I haven't found an electric that shaves anywhere near the closeness of a razor. I use the standard Gillette mach 3s. They are easy to obtain anywhere and have a durable handle.

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:23 am

Check out some online videos from Hawleywood barber shop in Long beach, Ca. He runs what looks like a combination 1930's retro, punk, mobster type joint. The how to videos are very detailed and step by step instruction are easy to follow.

For the ultimate in smoothness, shave twice. First with the grain then relater and go against the grain. This is standard practice with a straight razor…works well with disposables too.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:09 pm

I have ordered me a straight razor, and in the process found what is called a safety razor.

I will try that too just to see how it is. I am told there is no shave like a straight razor but in proper TT fashion I'll get both and make that determination.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:43 pm

goldrod wrote:I have ordered me a straight razor, and in the process found what is called a safety razor.

I will try that too just to see how it is. I am told there is no shave like a straight razor but in proper TT fashion I'll get both and make that determination.
With the proper technique your safety razor should shave as close as a straight razor. So much relies on skin stretching which both razors require.

Pickup a styptic pencil too. They come in pretty handy when shaving with any razor, (straight or blade).

Something of interest for you:
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:10 am

There are not atheists in foxholes nor seizure people with straight razors. [-X

tomustang
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tomustang » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:33 am

Electric cordless shaver. Can't use bladed razers due to hand shake so it is much safer. Works good too.

hotdogin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hotdogin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:09 am

To me a big player is the products that are used. You might be able to get away with using a not-so-awesome razor so long as you use a good face scrub, shaving cream, and aftershave. For face wash products I highly recommend Kiehl's and for shaving oils and creams The Art of Shaving is a must. Also, I would invest in a brush. Using a brush not only helps to prepare your skin/ hair for the shave, but it only takes a small amount of shaving cream for a great lather. You could probably shave three times before having to use more cream.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:06 am

USA-RET wrote:I have never used a straight razor. Never wanted to give my wife the opportunity to use one on me in my sleep. :lol:

I had used the two and three (and even four) blade razors by Gillette. You can try one of their two or three blade kits that routinely go on sale. (like printers, the get you to buy one of these kits with a few blades and hope you come back to buy the replacement blades which are quite expensive).

Honestly I had not noticed a significant difference between the different number of blade types as far as end shave result (two blades seemed to works as well as the 4 blade types). Replacement blades were becoming very expensive to buy so I started using the two and three blade disposable razors (Bic and others). Inexpensive, and did as good a job as the Gillette brand. All razor blades are extremely sharp but dull over time, and I cannot say I've noticed the more expensive ones lasting any longer than the cheapie disposables.

Since I retired I can go as long as a week between shaves. With a week's growth, the blade sharpness is the most important thing. Second is the shave cream or gel. I shave against the grain (upward) so if the blade is dulling, the shaving experience can be pretty painful regardless of the cream I use as the razor starts to pull rather than cut. So the blade sharpness is number one, cream is number two. However, both are necessary for a good overall experience.

FWIW, razors dull because they immediately start to rust after the first time you use them and store them away wet. You can extend their life considerably if you take the time to dry the razor head before storing them. It's a pain unless you routinely use a blow drier. Buying and using the disposable razors mitigates the expense if you choose to not dry the blades.

Nothing beats a super close shave. I had used an electric for a time, but even after shaving with one, I still felt stubble. Going the razor and cream route I wouldn't start feeling any stubble until 24 hours afterward (Unlike shaving with an electric where I feel that same 24 hours stubble I''m done shaving w/ the electric).
To expand on this ... get a shower mirror. Don't sweat it if the anti fog coating loses it's effectiveness after a while, which it will. A tiny dab of shampoo smeared on a foggy mirror will clear it for the duration. Shaving in the shower is superior in a couple of ways - the steamy environment softens the beard better, and no sink to clean afterward. Plus the shave is so much closer.

After shaving, rinse the razor well then shake off the excess water. Dip it in rubbing alcohol and store it out of the bathroom. The alcohol will remove the water molecules from the blade completely. I use the same disposable blade for up to 3 months before replacing it.