Kitchen Cutlery

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Kitchen Cutlery

Post by goldrod » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:52 pm

All, I have been looking at a new “do” to spend time doing. I’m thinking that I will get into kitchen cutlery and even some JDM knives if possible. I’m thinking that I’ll start with one or two knives that will be used in the kitchen.
I was wondering if anyone of you are already into something like this if it’s a thing and where someone like myself might start? Everything I buy will be used so I’m not looking for collectibles just functional art.

Thanks
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

fishes
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Kitchen Cutlery

Post by fishes » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:57 am

Im really into cooking and as a result have gotten really into Japanese knives. Its a big subject but ill share how I got started and where I am now. Using Japanese knives means you will have to sharpen them (or at least you should) which means you will have to learn to sharpen a knife with a whetstone if you dont already know. For this reason people usually you start out with a cheaper Japanese knife to "learn" with. For me my first was the miyabi kaizen 8" chef knife. It worked well for me and I learned how to sharpen and take care of a Japanese knife. From there I moved to the miyabi birchwood which was a massive upgrade and I still use the knife quite a bit. And now I mostly use a masamoto ks gyuto which is a true JDM knife and it sort of the gold standard. Unfortunately the KS isn't made anymore (or they limited production) so they only really pop up on auction sites for ridiculous amounts of money.

For you, right now, I think miyabi is a great place to start. They are sold in the US and easy to get and are great knives made from high quality, hardened steel so you will be able to learn how to use and care for a Japanese knife. If you want to jump straight into the jdm stuff which honestly you shouldn't be too intimidated by because sharpening with a whetstone is pretty easy then I recommend looking at japaneseknifeimports.com. Oh and as for shape a good place to start is a chef knife (gyuto) its a great all around shape that you can do most if not all kitchen tasks with

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:14 pm

fishes wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:57 am
Im really into cooking and as a result have gotten really into Japanese knives. Its a big subject but ill share how I got started and where I am now. Using Japanese knives means you will have to sharpen them (or at least you should) which means you will have to learn to sharpen a knife with a whetstone if you dont already know. For this reason people usually you start out with a cheaper Japanese knife to "learn" with. For me my first was the miyabi kaizen 8" chef knife. It worked well for me and I learned how to sharpen and take care of a Japanese knife. From there I moved to the miyabi birchwood which was a massive upgrade and I still use the knife quite a bit. And now I mostly use a masamoto ks gyuto which is a true JDM knife and it sort of the gold standard. Unfortunately the KS isn't made anymore (or they limited production) so they only really pop up on auction sites for ridiculous amounts of money.

For you, right now, I think miyabi is a great place to start. They are sold in the US and easy to get and are great knives made from high quality, hardened steel so you will be able to learn how to use and care for a Japanese knife. If you want to jump straight into the jdm stuff which honestly you shouldn't be too intimidated by because sharpening with a whetstone is pretty easy then I recommend looking at japaneseknifeimports.com. Oh and as for shape a good place to start is a chef knife (gyuto) its a great all around shape that you can do most if not all kitchen tasks with

Thank You. The best part of cooking to me is cutting stuff up. The work in the prep so I will take this information and get started. I’ll look up howto sharpen with a wet stone
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bish0p
Angler
Angler

Post by bish0p » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:12 pm

My diet is mostly vegetables, so I first got a nakiri. It looks like a little cleaver and it's made from Aogami (blue) #2 carbon steel. I got the cleaver because it's easier to learn stone sharpening on a blade with no belly. I also have a petty and paring knife in VG10 stainless steel. Each knife was less than $100. The quality of Japanese steel is much better than German or French knives.

I'll eventually get a gyuto and a sujihiki (meat slicer).