Til Failure

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Til Failure

Post by goldrod » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:13 am

Does working out til failure work for you?
It doesn’t seem to work for me but I think I’m going too high on the weight
If I’m correct it’s should be with lighter more manageable weight that you rep until failure. What are your thoughts?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

665 almostevil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Til Failure

Post by 665 almostevil » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:04 am

What is the goal? ex to get maxim muscle growth ?

Athlean X on youtube is a great channel to check out

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:49 am

665 almostevil wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:04 am

I will check it out.
The goal is to get stronger faster naturally
I feel like when I goto failure I’m breaking down mentally and I give less effort
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:02 am

goldrod wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:49 am
665 almostevil wrote:

I will check it out.
I feel like when I goto failure I’m breaking down mentally and I give less effort
Back when I put a lot of effort into working out, I had this approach:

- Wasnt looking for bulk (just lean performance gains)
- Primary objective was to get faster and jump higher (basketball)

I got really good results doing this:
- Isolating muscle groups. I would have 2-3 "leg days". I would have one doing quads and calves, the other day hams and glutes. I would do this for like 2 months then change to doing squats and heavier weight for like 2 months. (I would still do the other stuff, just not main focus). I would do a lot of split squats and other unilateral stuff, it helps the little support muscles.

I wont go into the science of explosive-ness but, in the calculation, I was missing strength. I focused on strength but also did a lot of low weight, fast movement stuff.

- With upper body, I would basically do it to keep me in a rhythm of going to a gym. I did get results by doing the above, except with arms/upper body muscles.

I am a lean, tall build and not a "gainer". I did manage to put on 15lbs of lean muscle in no time it seemed like (many years ago). Doing the above can help through plateaus because you can identify what muscles are holding you back and target them.

EDIT: By focusing on muscle groups, I was able to smoke those and still do the others on the next day. Like hams/glutes Monday, quads/calves Wednesday/Thursday. So...yeah, when it was X muscles day, I felt it. Going to failure isnt a bad thing. Just dont go to it being painful. Dont forget to rest, almost more important than exercising.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:26 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:02 am
goldrod wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:49 am
665 almostevil wrote:

I will check it out.
Back when I put a lot of effort into working out, I had this approach:

- Wasnt looking for bulk (just lean performance gains)
- Primary objective was to get faster and jump higher (basketball)

I got really good results doing this:
- Isolating muscle groups. I would have 2-3 "leg days". I would have one doing quads and calves, the other day hams and glutes. I would do this for like 2 months then change to doing squats and heavier weight for like 2 months. (I would still do the other stuff, just not main focus). I would do a lot of split squats and other unilateral stuff, it helps the little support muscles.

I wont go into the science of explosive-ness but, in the calculation, I was missing strength. I focused on strength but also did a lot of low weight, fast movement stuff.

- With upper body, I would basically do it to keep me in a rhythm of going to a gym. I did get results by doing the above, except with arms/upper body muscles.

I am a lean, tall build and not a "gainer". I did manage to put on 15lbs of lean muscle in no time it seemed like (many years ago). Doing the above can help through plateaus because you can identify what muscles are holding you back and target them.

EDIT: By focusing on muscle groups, I was able to smoke those and still do the others on the next day. Like hams/glutes Monday, quads/calves Wednesday/Thursday. So...yeah, when it was X muscles day, I felt it. Going to failure isnt a bad thing. Just dont go to it being painful. Dont forget to rest, almost more important than exercising.
Copy all
I’ll give this a shot.
We talk about things like this all the time

My buddy stopped eating all flesh and is lean as skinny jeans
I was not eating any food for days but drinking water coffee tea no sugar and was exhausted. He focused on carbs so now I’m adjusting my diet as well as my reps. I have no interest in gaining weight but I don’t want to be weak either. One of my legs is weak and I’ve started to isolate it IOT jump rope better. I feel like an imbecile when I trip over the rope in only five rotations. 😂

Thanks all for the feedback on an unusual topic. This isn’t a resolution but a lifestyle of health and fishing

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:14 am

In addition to Athlean X, other good youtube channels include Jeff Nippard for some more science based info - see his “Effective reps: Does training to failure matter for muscle growth”.
I really like Ryan Humistons channel for the less science based and seemingly very experience based info - a good example is “How long you should rest between sets (not scientific - results based)”

I have done a lot of different sports and physical activities during my 41 years on this planet... Two of my most important lessons:
1: a lot of cardio works for weight loss and visible abs but hampers muscle growth and overall strength big time despite a lot of strength training (coming from a period of running >60 miles a week for some years).
I.e. Limit your cardio.
2: nutrition matters most of all :-)

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:16 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:14 am
In addition to Athlean X, other good youtube channels include Jeff Nippard for some more science based info - see his “Effective reps: Does training to failure matter for muscle growth”.
I really like Ryan Humistons channel for the less science based and seemingly very experience based info - a good example is “How long you should rest between sets (not scientific - results based)”

I have done a lot of different sports and physical activities during my 41 years on this planet... Two of my most important lessons:
1: a lot of cardio works for weight loss and visible abs but hampers muscle growth and overall strength big time despite a lot of strength training (coming from a period of running >60 miles a week for some years).
I.e. Limit your cardio.
2: nutrition matters most of all :-)

I understand completely man and I appreciate the additional information
That’s why we looked at our diet as well. We have to run, it’s part of the job.
I don’t run 60 a week but sometimes it feels like they are running us 60 before the sun comes up.

665 almostevil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 665 almostevil » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:17 am

"I was not eating any food for days but drinking water coffee tea no sugar and was exhausted"

was this intermittent fasting? Why would you not eat?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:43 am

665 almostevil wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:17 am
"I was not eating any food for days but drinking water coffee tea no sugar and was exhausted"

was this intermittent fasting? Why would you not eat?
Kinda fast and flush.
Just made me tired and and cranky. But at the same time I was burning more than what was going in “in theory”

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:49 am

We’ve done salads for two weeks or more and it made me feel ok but not quite normal. Recently we ( my wife and I ) discussed and agreed to no meats for two weeks and on day one she cooked two T bone steaks and potatoes etc.
Eat bite made me rethink bringing it up again.

KooyaKey
Angler
Angler

Post by KooyaKey » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:51 pm

Having tried multiple workout programs for strength training, I would highly recommend you give NSUNS531 a shot for strength. There's even an app that will break everything down for you after entering some stats about your current lifts. And agree with the nutrition for the most part. Have been intermittent fasting for a few years now with great results so long as you get your macro needs in within your given eating window.