Over 40 with a child Under 6 Months

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Over 40 with a child Under 6 Months

Post by goldrod » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:12 pm

You come home and the wife says let’s have a baby.
What does one do?
Anyone in THAT boat ?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Over 40 with a child Under 6 Months

Post by Slazmo » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:30 pm

The wife and I left it a bit late...

We've been together for 12 years, she's 4 years older than me - some say she stole from the cradle but I like to think I robbed the grave...

We lost our first child during pregnancy at 15 weeks... Took a great hit on us both... However 6 months or so later we had our boy on 01/01/2020 at 00:49 am - I am in your age realm at 37 this past June.

If you don't have a child it's absolutely the best thing to happen! I finally have a little guy who will go fishing with me and I have someone to bequest all my fishing gear to in time.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:45 pm

That thought would take all the fun out of it for me. Besides, I think I that ship has sailed for us. We are both 46, and she is going thru the change. I often wake to freezing my butt off because she kicked all the covers in the floor.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:56 am

Slazmo wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:30 pm
The wife and I left it a bit late...

We've been together for 12 years, she's 4 years older than me - some say she stole from the cradle but I like to think I robbed the grave...

We lost our first child during pregnancy at 15 weeks... Took a great hit on us both... However 6 months or so later we had our boy on 01/01/2020 at 00:49 am - I am in your age realm at 37 this past June.

If you don't have a child it's absolutely the best thing to happen! I finally have a little guy who will go fishing with me and I have someone to bequest all my fishing gear to in time.
Congratulations on your Son!
Tim I hear you but, I am on the fence with it
Pros and cons but the idea that we are discussing it is scary too
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:26 pm

Thanks mate.

Less thinking and more of just let things happen. Things have a way of working out...

Nothing like coming home after working the weekend shift, dealing with crap all day - sit on the couch, pick up the goofy smiling boy, 2 proud bottom teeth, dribbling madly and he just thinks your the world.

Honestly should've done it years ago...

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:21 am

Go for it. Aunt had a child at 42, turned out pretty well.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:04 pm

Congrats on the (possible) family additions! We didn't wait that long, but we weren't the youngest, either. My son was born when I was 34, and we added twin daughters at 37. 10 years later I'm 44 and I have several fishing buddies :) Your life is never the same because it's not your own anymore (you literally cannot make decisions for yourself when your kid(s) take priority). But it's rewarding in the end.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:07 am

Happy wife, happy life...

I have 2, one who's 8 the other is 2. They take a lot out of you but they are worth every second.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:55 pm

I'm not going to pretend to be a great source of knowledge, but my experience is as follows. I was about 36 or 37 when my wife announced she would like to have another child. We had two sons at that point with the older one being about 10 and the younger about 5. I was doubtful but as was said previously 'happy wife happy life. My one statement was "OK but I don't want to be a new daddy at 40".

We tried and tried, that's the good part, with no results. We both went to our Dr. with no obvious problems. After a while we just gave up and decided it wasn't going to happen. As you can probably guess, it did happen and my wonderful daughter was born a week before I turned 40. She is the light of my life. I think I was a better parent at 40 than I was at 27, still a long way from perfect. So go with it, you will love parenthood and your child.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:48 pm

I raised 3 kids.

The youngest is still living with us at 17...

I'm done, kids are overrated and full of drama plus expensive LOL.

I'm now 41, me and the wife are ready to do what we want, where we want :big grin:

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:03 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:48 pm
I raised 3 kids.

The youngest is still living with us at 17...

I'm done, kids are overrated and full of drama plus expensive LOL.

I'm now 41, me and the wife are ready to do what we want, where we want :big grin:

:lol:
It’s rare that people can agree to disagree but more rarer is that you can talk about relevant life things and get adult answers. I appreciate each and every comment. Thank You
I told the wife no thanks however I did say let’s just pray about it.
Maybe adoption is a better option or just babysitting.

Dexter
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dexter » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:59 am

Finally got married at 43 and was blessed with 2 beautiful girls. Put off the “operation”. Again blessed with my son at age 53. My best fishing buddy. As a family, we camped, fished, vacationed together. At that stage of my journey, life has a different perspective. Being financially secure takes a out of pressure off, but priceless experiences watching and sharing kids growth. Children aren’t for everyone, a huge responsibility, and you don’t get “do overs”. No regrets.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:14 am

Dexter wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:59 am
Finally got married at 43 and was blessed with 2 beautiful girls. Put off the “operation”. Again blessed with my son at age 53. My best fishing buddy. As a family, we camped, fished, vacationed together. At that stage of my journey, life has a different perspective. Being financially secure takes a out of pressure off, but priceless experiences watching and sharing kids growth. Children aren’t for everyone, a huge responsibility, and you don’t get “do overs”. No regrets.
Children are certainly a blessing. There’s something (I feel) about looking at a child and how they soak up what they are exposed to. How loving and kind and compassionate they are. Two deployments ago my daughter would just come to me and give me a hug. No matter what I was doing or where I was and at first I didn’t think much of it. But when I deployed I truly missed those hugs and would reflect on them. My son and I fished a lot and now that he’s in a different state it’s not the same. Going with other people doesn’t fill that void either.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:57 am

goldrod wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:14 am
Dexter wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:59 am
Children are certainly a blessing. There’s something (I feel) about looking at a child and how they soak up what they are exposed to. How loving and kind and compassionate they are. Two deployments ago my daughter would just come to me and give me a hug. No matter what I was doing or where I was and at first I didn’t think much of it. But when I deployed I truly missed those hugs and would reflect on them. My son and I fished a lot and now that he’s in a different state it’s not the same. Going with other people doesn’t fill that void either.
Hi Goldy. If you are up to adopting a 41 year old cheesehead with a thick Northwoods accent, for a fishing buddy, my ears are open. Lol.

I do eat quite a bit, but I'm neat and a great cook. :big grin: