Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Truck Wars!!! Reel BattLes

Post by goldrod » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:58 pm

Soooo
702hp and 650ftlbs torque 6.2 liter super charged

I’m thinking that’s over kill.
Has me wondering how much is too much?
I’ve seen three or four 2020 trucks to come out and they are getting faster bigger and more expensive. However I think the industry needed the competition. I think the fishing industry needs the same injection of competition. I’m hoping abu G. will give more in terms of reels
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Truck Wars!!! Reel BattLes

Post by ss30378 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:59 am

If people will keep buying it I'm sure they will keep raising the bar. Shoot look at diesel power in the last 20 years, and it has doubled just in factory form. The price of vehicles has also doubled in the past 20 years.

I say as long as you can keep it reliable and people keep buying it why stop?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:39 pm

You talking these kind of "trucks"...
IMG_20200821_052946.jpg
IMG_20200821_052946.jpg (57.7 KiB) Viewed 5193 times
IMG_20200821_053047.jpg
IMG_20200821_053047.jpg (45.52 KiB) Viewed 5193 times
Caught these two Mall Crawling here in Aus. Seriously overdone in all aspects, not useful for us other than d*ck wagging rights.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:58 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:39 pm

IMG_20200821_052946.jpg
IMG_20200821_053047.jpg

Caught these two Mall Crawling here in Aus. Seriously overdone in all aspects, not useful for us other than d*ck wagging rights.
Nearly everyone's truck looks like that here, and some have a LOT more add-ons, like huge wheels and low profile mud tires. I've always wondered why......perhaps compensation for *ahem* other shortcomings?
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:27 pm

As GM decided to screw our only remaining car manufacturer here in Australia 'Holden', now we're seen an influx of these bloody things.

And its always a 5'4" guy driving it with a booster seat to see over the dash.

Fair enough if you have a need for one like a business or pulling a trailer / 5th wheeler etc. But as a parading car - rocks in their heads.

Remember back to the early 2000's when protesters were burning Humvee's / Hummer H1's?

Plus all the 4WD tracks are being widened to take these things through.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:54 am

I think the most complicated things on the big diesels is the emissions systems now, EGR, SCR, DEF and various particulate filters causing the price and complexity to continue to rise and more problems to have to deal with later on down the road.

Just give me the old 5.9 cummins 12 valve or 7.3 powerstroke that is still relatively simple and easy to work on.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:20 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:27 pm
As GM decided to screw our only remaining car manufacturer here in Australia 'Holden', now we're seen an influx of these bloody things.

And its always a 5'4" guy driving it with a booster seat to see over the dash.

Fair enough if you have a need for one like a business or pulling a trailer / 5th wheeler etc. But as a parading car - rocks in their heads.

Remember back to the early 2000's when protesters were burning Humvee's / Hummer H1's?

Plus all the 4WD tracks are being widened to take these things through.
Just wait until you get stuck behind one that feels the needs to reduce speed on every slight bend in the road. They make driving fun roads a misery. Enjoy being blinded to death by 100000000000000000000000 lumens of aftermarket lighting for reasons.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:37 pm

I'm finding either as time passes, or as I age I am finding it harder and harder to enjoy life and drive to places that I would've once enjoyed accessing.

Due to people their mentalities and these on road fads...

For example - P Platers here in Australia (Provisional young drivers) - we went camping out middle of nowhere last Easter holidays, and a P Plater with a jacked up Toyota Landcruiser tried to cross the river we were camping on (for no reason), only to find it dropped off to roof height.

So we had to wait 3 or more hours for all the diesel in the river to was down before we could use it again to drink and wash from...

And it only gets worse with Frazer Island and their antics. Jacked up and highly strung diesels trying to replicate the "soot society" of American truck owners.

It's gone a little stupid with keeping up with the Jones...

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:46 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:37 pm
I'm finding either as time passes, or as I age I am finding it harder and harder to enjoy life and drive to places that I would've once enjoyed accessing.

Due to people their mentalities and these on road fads...

For example - P Platers here in Australia (Provisional young drivers) - we went camping out middle of nowhere last Easter holidays, and a P Plater with a jacked up Toyota Landcruiser tried to cross the river we were camping on (for no reason), only to find it dropped off to roof height.

So we had to wait 3 or more hours for all the diesel in the river to was down before we could use it again to drink and wash from...

And it only gets worse with Frazer Island and their antics. Jacked up and highly strung diesels trying to replicate the "soot society" of American truck owners.

It's gone a little stupid with keeping up with the Jones...
That guy in the Toyota LandCruiser should have stuck to the land. I would be just as peeved about that situation as Im sure you were. I have a guy in my neighborhood who has a dully diesel and its huge. He says he uses it for towing but I never see any thing he tows. Anyways I often see him just driving around town. After about a month or maybe two another neighbor got one and than it became contagious. I dont really see the point to all that truck and diesels need to run and are better running than not. I have a friend who drives tractor trailers and he says on short stops he'll leave the engine running because its better for the engine than starting and stopping it.

Tim
Youre spot on with you response because there's a guy whom has a beautiful truck, no question no doubt about it but its not a show truck just a truck that he needs a ladder to get in and out of. Every time I see him I wait for either his exitiing or entering into his truck. its rather amusing and he'll tell you that he doesnt have any purpose for it other than being able to look down on others as he drives..

At one time I was looking for a new vehicle and I thought a dully diesel was what I wanted or something 3500 or bigger. Than one of my coworkers came through to go fishing and suggested that we just use his truck and I could drive it. Not wanting to be a snoopy host I told him I would. It was a great experience but i quickly realized that it wasn't for me. Not to say that it wasn't a nice truck or it had difficulty pulling my boat, because it did not but it left me feeling for my keys in my pocket to get back into my 1500
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:38 pm

Slazmo wrote:

IMG_20200821_052946.jpg
IMG_20200821_053047.jpg

Yep lots of American trucks getting around up north as well. Dodge Rams being the most popular, but seeing quite a few Chevs around as well. I can see the reason for the ram being so popular as its cheaper than a 200 series cruiser, on par with a 79 series and has greater load capabilities than both so makes for a great touring vehicle to load up and travel. But yes plenty are just show boats with no intention of loading up getting off-road.
Yet I can easily make do with my Mitsubishi Challenger (Montero Sport on other side of pacific) and its relatively small 2.5 Litre diesel. load up my family of 4 and go camping.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:39 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:38 pm
Slazmo wrote:

IMG_20200821_052946.jpg
IMG_20200821_053047.jpg

Yep lots of American trucks getting around up north as well. Dodge Rams being the most popular, but seeing quite a few Chevs around as well. I can see the reason for the ram being so popular as its cheaper than a 200 series cruiser, on par with a 79 series and has greater load capabilities than both so makes for a great touring vehicle to load up and travel. But yes plenty are just show boats with no intention of loading up getting off-road.
Yet I can easily make do with my Mitsubishi Challenger (Montero Sport on other side of pacific) and its relatively small 2.5 Litre diesel. load up my family of 4 and go camping.

not only bigger but faster as well
Which makes me wonder why when we have Tesla. Out of curiosity, have you seen any electric cars or trucks over on your side of the world?
You mentioned camping and I've never been. Im not afraid but I sleep with the lights on..At all times at all locations where I find myself sleeping. Do you guys sleep in a tent or do you tow a RV to the camp site?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:45 am

Thus far I've seen Nissan Leaf's in both series, Holden (Chev) Volts, Toyoda Prius's and your Tesla's and they're gaining popularity and lots of them are getting around the Gold Coast. The centre of the city has more of the glamorous care, but where I am north of the city its a bit more sedate...

Where we camp can be one of two places either a paid for site or free camping - this free camping I like most as it allows you to go camping right and experience it properly. Where we went (the wife and I) before the boy came along is a beautiful little spot along side a river about 200kms away.

We use a tent, a cheap one I've had for the better part of a decade and it's really down to earth way to enjoy the immersed living for those days away, the first time we went to this free camp site we took one tent, however last time during Easter we took 2 and space managed our takings a little better.

Were finding that a lot more people are bringing upto $200k AUD 4wd set up's in that have all the mod cons of home and really spoil the whole experience, too many lights, gen sets, music and other garbage that goes on.

I camp very simply - only thing now is the car has changed and we have a carpet slug... 😅
IMG_20200902_193853.jpg
IMG_20200902_193853.jpg (104.58 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
IMG_20200902_193809.jpg
IMG_20200902_193809.jpg (85.13 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
IMG_20200902_193722.jpg
IMG_20200902_193722.jpg (102.89 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
IMG_20200902_193827.jpg
IMG_20200902_193827.jpg (70.77 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
IMG_20200902_193739.jpg
IMG_20200902_193739.jpg (61.1 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
It is hard to find a good free camp sites now as people are utilising such spaces more and more as to not be caught up in the rat race kind of camping style parks.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:49 am

Slazmo wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:45 am
Thus far I've seen Nissan Leaf's in both series, Holden (Chev) Volts, Toyoda Prius's and your Tesla's and they're gaining popularity and lots of them are getting around the Gold Coast. The centre of the city has more of the glamorous care, but where I am north of the city its a bit more sedate...

Where we camp can be one of two places either a paid for site or free camping - this free camping I like most as it allows you to go camping right and experience it properly. Where we went (the wife and I) before the boy came along is a beautiful little spot along side a river about 200kms away.

We use a tent, a cheap one I've had for the better part of a decade and it's really down to earth way to enjoy the immersed living for those days away, the first time we went to this free camp site we took one tent, however last time during Easter we took 2 and space managed our takings a little better.

Were finding that a lot more people are bringing upto $200k AUD 4wd set up's in that have all the mod cons of home and really spoil the whole experience, too many lights, gen sets, music and other garbage that goes on.

I camp very simply - only thing now is the car has changed and we have a carpet slug... 😅

IMG_20200902_193853.jpg
IMG_20200902_193809.jpg
IMG_20200902_193722.jpg
IMG_20200902_193827.jpg
IMG_20200902_193739.jpg

It is hard to find a good free camp sites now as people are utilising such spaces more and more as to not be caught up in the rat race kind of camping style parks.
Those pictures are beautiful. Thanks for sharing man.
Seems very tranquil out where you guys were. I haven't seen clothes hung up in such a long long time.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:56 am

Slazmo wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:45 am

IMG_20200902_193853.jpg
IMG_20200902_193809.jpg
IMG_20200902_193722.jpg
IMG_20200902_193827.jpg
IMG_20200902_193739.jpg

Very nice!

I have the predecessor to your Jimny, an 87 samurai that I rebuilt as my fun bugout vehicle.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:38 pm

ss30378 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:56 am
Very nice!

I have the predecessor to your Jimny, an 87 samurai that I rebuilt as my fun bugout vehicle.
Great little uber capable 4WD, just lacked internal space. But did carry two of us, all clothes for 5 days, food for 5 days, extra fuel, fishing gear for 5 days, all kayak bits and all camping gear which you didn't really see. I really loved my Jimny - wherever you wanted to go you pointed it in that direction and it went, what it lacked in size and power; it had plenty of guts and capability!
goldrod wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:49 am
Those pictures are beautiful. Thanks for sharing man.
Seems very tranquil out where you guys were. I haven't seen clothes hung up in such a long long time.
It was a beautiful site, just simple living for 5 days. Those nights were bitterly cold, quiet sure that those cloths were frozen solid, because I don't think I've ever been so cold since being in Poland back in 1995...

But the surroundings were awesome, every night there was a burn off in those mountains and you could see the fire fronts travel up and down the mountains - with the fire going and the darkness of the night it was something else.