JDM reel decision

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Dark3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

JDM reel decision

Post by Dark3 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:16 am

Hey guys Im trying to break into the jdm reel market. I have two open reel seats on my flippin stick and my jig rod. I have found zonda 68r for 327 and fx68r for 360 a piece. Will either of these reels fit the bill for what I want to use them for? Which is the better reel in your opinion. Thanks and sorry if I soumd like a noob lol, again just getting going with the JP import thing.

RISE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: JDM reel decision

Post by RISE » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:15 am

Hey Dark3, :welc:
Maybe a bit more info would help here. What rods are you thinking of pairing these reels with and what lure weights and line ratings will you be throwing most of the time? Are you making long casts to deep water for jig fishing or is it mostly close quarter/short range stuff?
They are both great reels IMO. I'm using my Zonda 68 w/the MB honeycomb spool and HedgeHog BFS air bearings for light T-rigs (1/8-3/16oz), and it's amazing for this application. That being said, I think the Zonda also makes a good reel for jigs up to certain weights...it all depends on your intended range of application. I've also got a heavily modded Alphas F (Zonda is based in the Alphas platform just in case you didn't already know that) that I use on a MB Phase 3 Bearingdown for jigs up to 3/8 oz. and I love it. My FX68 is being used for close-quarter jigs (1/2-3/4oz.) and while I've only used it once for this application, it seems like a great pairing thus far. Others here with experience using a FX68/T3 for flipping or jigs should chime in at some point...I know a certain TT member has quite a "few" T-3s in his stable and maybe he will offer some more insight, as well as another, whom I consider to be the "Alpha master" (you know who you are) ;)
I always felt the "hood" on the T-3/FX reels would make it a great reel for flipping/pitching being that it would be quick and easy to engage after a pitch or flip...I just haven't had a chance to try it out for myself nor have I been able to stick a 7-8lber with it to check for flex under load yet :cry:
I personally use a Zillion Type R on my flipping rod as I like using a reel that's built a bit more for heavier applications.
A Megabass IP-79 would be a good choice as well for your flipping or heavier jig set-up...even better, for flipping would be a Deps DR-100ZX with the locked down drag (zillion based reel as well).
There are a lot of knowledgeable people around here and there will be many different opinions (these are just mine). Many of these good people have been instrumental in building my JDM collection and I'm forever grateful to TT for what I've learned and the people I've met.
There are so many great reels out there for what you want to do...the hard part is picking one or two.
One more thing....beware of the "Dark Side" for it is STRONG around here.
:evil22: :shock:

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: JDM reel decision

Post by TommyG » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:34 am

Hey Dark3, just entered the "darkside" myself. Starting out with the FX73 SV. Going on a K2 HF 7'3" custom.
Botom contact baits 1/2 to 1oz. The FX68 was my first choice,but a couple of members made some suggestions.
Indeed, the Darkside is strong here!!!