Must buys rods from Evergreen

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Must buys rods from Evergreen

Post by Jdmbassman » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:29 am

Hi all,

I did a post on what were the must buy rods from Megabass and now it's time to turn my attention to Evergreen.

The consensus on the Megabass rods was as follows,
Phase iii - Nautilus (1/2oz to 3/4oz bottom contact jigs)
X7 - Diablo Fast Move (3/8oz to 1/2oz Chatterbaits and Spinnerbaits and jigs up to 1/2oz
Evoluzion - Elsei (3/8oz reaction baits and top waters).

So what are those must buy rods from Evergreen. I have had a crack and my thoughts are as follows;
Hercules - Leopard (3/8oz to 1/2oz Chatterbaits)
TKLC - Super Stallion (is there anything this doesn't do well from 1/4oz Simjigs to 6" Senkos with 1/8oz bullet weight)
TKIC - Super Cougar (3/8oz Jerkbaits).

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Must buys rods from Evergreen

Post by Farnorth » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:00 am

A 1/4 oz jig even with a sizeable trailer is lighter than I would go with the Super Stallion. 1/2 oz total is my low end and unless it's a resistance bait I prefer 3/4 oz and up. I like it all the way up to a deps huge spinnerbait with a 3:16 Minnow as a trailer (2.7oz total). It's a nice rod but not what I would call a MH.

The problem with evergreen rods is finding enough feedback. There are a few popular ones that quite a few people have but not many folks that have tried several and can compare. Newer ones take a while for the reviews to come in or you just have take the leap and hope the marketing materials are accurate.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:13 am

I was surprised Brett Hite used the Super Stallion for 1/4oz Swimjigs too. Having read the posting of his win at Lake Okeechobee, this rod is now on my hit list over the Megabass Mephisto. Super seems appropriate for it.

One of my reluctance to go with Evergreen is that there doesn't seem too many rods around the Medium, Medium Heavy and not many much longer than 7ft. The rods seems to be lighter power or Heavy.

Although saying that, I just bought the Leopard and already had the Super Cougar so if I could find a Super Stallion, I would take that too.

RRION
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RRION » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:30 pm

For Evergreen you mean only Kaleido Inspirare? Or we can consider Heracles also?

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:28 pm

RRION wrote:For Evergreen you mean only Kaleido Inspirare? Or we can consider Heracles also?
Please include Hercules. The Leopard I bought is a Hurcleus

Redlinerobert
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redlinerobert » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:36 am

You absolutely need a Stallion. Essentially Evergreen's Diablo.

Derek777
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Derek777 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:44 am

i have to say your must buys from Megabass are much different than mine (bearing down type X, srd, go ten evolution) as are your choices from Evergreen for the most part.
i agree with the heracles leopard.
id get the heracles pro guidance68 and the inspirare stingray wild finesse. the tech that went into these rods is amazing.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:04 am

[quote="Redlinerobert"]You absolutely need a Stallion. Essentially Evergreen's Diablo.[/quote]i've heard a lot of good things about the Super Stallion but nothing about the Stallion, what's the low down with this rod. Similarly, I've not heard anything about the Megabass Diablo

Redlinerobert
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redlinerobert » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:46 am

I own all three.

The Super Stallion Kaleido isn't made anymore I believe, as I've tried to find a 2nd one as a back up rod. I bought one of the first available and it continues to be one of my favorite rods in the arsenal. rated up to 3 oz, it's a great rod for stripers and peacocks in Brazil.

The Stallion is rated up to 1 oz, is a great all around rod. I use mine for everything from weightless Senko's to horny toads.

The Diablo, with similar ratings to the Stallion, is the ultimate rod from Megabass. There is something special about this rod that really can't be put into words. The balance, beauty, and power of this rod really has no equal. It was made even more special with an extremely limited edition slantbridge version of the Gen 1 and Gen 2 rods. I'm fortunate enough to have 2 of each, and hoping MB decides to make a SB version of the Gen 3 rod but I'm not holding my breath.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:16 pm

Choices, choices, the Diablo vs the TKLC Super Stallion ?

My heaviest action rod at the moment is the Megabass Nautilus if that context helps decide.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:59 pm

Redlinerobert wrote:The Diablo, with similar ratings to the Stallion, is the ultimate rod from Megabass. There is something special about this rod that really can't be put into words. The balance, beauty, and power of this rod really has no equal. It was made even more special with an extremely limited edition slantbridge version of the Gen 1 and Gen 2 rods. I'm fortunate enough to have 2 of each, and hoping MB decides to make a SB version of the Gen 3 rod but I'm not holding my breath.
What about the slant bridge makes the rods special? I'm having trouble visualizing the advantage to having half of the butt offset from the handle.

Redlinerobert
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redlinerobert » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:48 am

The slant bridge allows the rod to tuck into your forearm. Definitely feels more connected.

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:04 pm

Heracles series
Last edited by Patex on Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:55 pm

Wow, that is a lot of Evergreen rods. Thank you so much for the detailed breakdown of what you fish with what, it made for very interesting reading. I noted the majority were moving bait rods, why is this ?

Also, being such a lover of the Evergreen Hercules series, Are there any rods you would swap out for the TKLC or TKIC series ? Or even, I dare say, Megabasss ?

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:02 pm

Thank you, just personal preference towards fishing moving baits. That is what I've done for years and feel more comfortable with.
The Heracles series is the workhorse series for me, yes the Kaleido and Kaleido Inspirare is more exotic, but with the Heracles, you get almost the same sensitivity, lightness, quality.Form the TKIC, TKLC I recommend the Black Raven, I have that rod. I also have few Megabass rods,but they mostly the old Destroyer phase I & II series. You need to fish a lot, experiment and you'll find what you like, nobody can really tell you what kind of fishing (see preference towards moving baits for example) and gear will appeal to you.