SLP Custom Body Zillion TW

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
gopokes12
Angler
Angler

SLP Custom Body Zillion TW

Post by gopokes12 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:52 am

Does anyone have any time in with the SLP custom body version of the 21 Zillion? Is it just a cosmetic difference or do they upgrade some of the internals? I have one of the SLP Tatula SVs (22TR SV TW 105SLPW) and it does feel a little smoother and casts better than a normal Tatula SV (maybe that’s just the upgraded handle).

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SLP Custom Body Zillion TW

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:36 am

A handle that is longer wouldn’t obtain great casting distance. It would have to be a spool mod, bearing mod, or something done internally.

The star on that Zilly SLP is plastic. Unless you like the SLP badging or the matte black finish I would opt for a Zillion HD. More robust and capable and for the same price ready to fish and not an incomplete reel.

By the time you toss a spool handle and knobs on the SLP you are well over $350.

If money isn’t a factor get one and give it the works. SLP CF handle with the SLP works logo in black to match the black SLP lettering on the side plate, MB hyper corks or Steez EX knobs, black metal star, black spool of your choice and have at it.

bulldog1935
Angler
Angler

Post by bulldog1935 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:00 pm

I have one - four main upgrades, 2nd BB on worm gear (ala Steez)
2nd BB on pinion gear to improve gear alignment.
Improved "hyperdrive" gears
Most important is probably upgraded clutch.
What I like best about it, it doesn't come with spool and handle, which I would change, anyway.

I bought my reel body from Amazon for $229 incl tax. I first put it in my cart in amazon.jp, and Prime purchase through US amazon was cheaper by $20 (not always the case).

I already had both spools shown below, Ray's Studio SV, and Silver Wolf PE Special.
My Studio Composite RCSC EX Plus handle was $123 shipped from FishingShop.kiwi - this is where tastes may also differ, but this is my favorite handle on low-geared reel (7.1) and even the giant carbon-tube knobs w/ titanium spindles weigh less than small Daiwa I-shaped rubber.

You don't have to do everything I did. This is such a widespread platform, there are many aftermarket vendors offering 34-mm spools for Steez/Zillion, both deep SV and shallow fixed-rotor BFS. Even more economy handle vendors.

It's black.

Image Image
Image Image

OK, to get my gunmetal SC knob caps, had to pay another $25 + post from JDMFishing.com, a west-coast vendor with weekly shipments from his Japan distributor.
One more photo with Silver Wolf spool - SLP Works SV Boost PE 1000
This spool is deep-enough to bass-fish 10-lb fluoro, and capacity is greater than Daiwa lists - I fit 120 m PE#1.2
My niche for this is salt ML.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:16 pm

bulldog1935 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:00 pm
I have one - three main upgrades, 2nd BB on worm gear (ala Steez)
Improved "hyperdrive" gears
Most important is probably upgraded clutch.
What I like best about it, it doesn't come with spool and handle, which I would change, anyway.

I bought my reel body from Amazon for $229 incl tax. I first put it in my cart in amazon.jp, and Prime purchase through US amazon was cheaper by $20 (not always the case).

I already had both spools shown below, Ray's Studio SV, and Silver Wolf PE Special.
My Studio Composite RCSC EX Plus handle was $123 shipped from FishingShop.kiwi - this is where tastes may also differ, but this is my favorite handle on low-geared reel (7.1) and even the giant carbon-tube knobs w/ titanium spindles weigh less than small Daiwa I-shaped rubber.

You don't have to do everything I did. This is such a widespread platform, there are many aftermarket vendors offering 34-mm spools for Steez/Zillion, both deep SV and shallow fixed-rotor BFS. Even more economy handle vendors.

It's black.

Image Image
Image Image

OK, to get my gunmetal SC knob caps, had to pay another $25 + post from JDMFishing.com, a west-coast vendor with weekly shipments from his Japan distributor.
One more photo with Silver Wolf spool - SLP Works SV Boost PE 1000
This spool is deep-enough to bass-fish 10-lb fluoro, and capacity is greater than Daiwa lists - I fit 120 m PE#1.2
My niche for this is salt ML.

I did a post somewhere on here a while back about that SLP reel on Amazon. It's a good deal. I've got plenty of parts lying around to build one. I bought a new Alphas SV TW 800S for $171 with tax on Amazon yesterday. It's already been shipped. No need to use the Japanese sites like we have for a long time.

bulldog1935
Angler
Angler

Post by bulldog1935 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:20 pm

not sure why that's worth calling me out - maybe instead of quoting my entire post, you could simply link to your previous post.
I answered the OP's question and linked SDS Customs in Ukraine, who's a stand-up vendor if you're patient for the post.
Ali Express list is pretty long, also, with AMO and KKR spools, and even more handle vendors.
Delta Fishing in Thailand (where they're made) is a good Ray's Studio vendor when he has new batch stock.
Same with Rorolure.com in Hong Kong.

and I did have a pretty reel project to show, matched with Abu/JP Kurodai Baitfinesse Prototype ML.

I like my Studio Composite handles on low-geared reels, and Avail STi2 on high-geared reels.
Both weigh less than stock Daiwa handles and knobs.
Image Image

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:20 pm

bulldog1935 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:20 pm
not sure why that's worth calling me out - maybe instead of quoting my entire post, you could simply link to your previous post.
I answered the OP's question and linked SDS Customs in Ukraine, who's a stand-up vendor if you're patient for the post.
Ali Express list is pretty long, also, with AMO and KKR spools, and even more handle vendors.
Delta Fishing in Thailand (where they're made) is a good Ray's Studio vendor when he has new batch stock.
Same with Rorolure.com in Hong Kong.

and I did have a pretty reel project to show, matched with Abu/JP Kurodai Baitfinesse Prototype ML.

I like my Studio Composite handles on low-geared reels, and Avail STi2 on high-geared reels.
Both weigh less than stock Daiwa handles and knobs.
Image Image
I'm not calling you out. I'm just saying that I mentioned amazon as an option for that reel a little while back. I think it's a cool option that JDM reels are available there. It's worth mentioning again. Hence I also take advantage of it. Don't get upset when people don't bow to you for long posts with links. A lot of us do it. Many of us on here have been helping each other out on here for decades.

bulldog1935
Angler
Angler

Post by bulldog1935 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:08 pm

And I remain the only member who contributed answers to the OP's questions.
Seems like that should be the eqiquete that matters.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:15 pm

gopokes12
Angler
Angler

Post by gopokes12 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:03 am

Thank you those reels look awesome I think I’m going to pick one up. I didn’t even know Amazon was an option to purchase from.

I have a Zillion HD that I love it just casts different than the regular zillion because if I’m not wrong the HD has the Mag Z spool? I just wanted to see if I could get a zillion that feels more a little more like a Steez but with the zillion frame which I somewhat prefer in my hands.

Thank you for the pictures as well that helped a lot with my decision!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:45 am

gopokes12 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:03 am
Thank you those reels look awesome I think I’m going to pick one up. I didn’t even know Amazon was an option to purchase from.

I have a Zillion HD that I love it just casts different than the regular zillion because if I’m not wrong the HD has the Mag Z spool? I just wanted to see if I could get a zillion that feels more a little more like a Steez but with the zillion frame which I somewhat prefer in my hands.

The HD has stronger magnets vs the regular Zillion too. It has a lot of braking force for such a little reel.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:04 am

LowRange wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:45 am
gopokes12 wrote:

The HD has stronger magnets vs the regular Zillion too. It has a lot of braking force for such a little reel.
Seems counterintuitive right? Isn't the HD designed to be more of a distance caster with the Boost Mag-Z spool? Does this hurt casting distance compared to the regular Zillion?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:19 am

Craiger12 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:04 am
LowRange wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:45 am
gopokes12 wrote:

Seems counterintuitive right? Isn't the HD designed to be more of a distance caster with the Boost Mag-Z spool? Does this hurt casting distance compared to the regular Zillion?
Maybe but Daiwa in the Zillion HD promo video really seemed to be showcasing the ability of the reel to cast into the wind and to cast heavy baits with high control. That's what stood out to me from that video and when I got mine and went to cast a rof 12 68 special at max brake I was wowed by the braking power. That thing went like maybe 20 yards on a power cast at max brake. Also guys have swapped spools between the two Zillions to create a black SV Boost reel and all report that the Zillion 1000 SV Boost spool is more controlled in the Zillion HD than in the Zillion indicating stronger magents. Now, with this SLP reel you can make your own black Zillion SV Boost.

4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 4g63power » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:35 pm

After trying some spool swaps, I feel no difference from zillion sv tw to HD. They work/cast the same