Info for enthusiastic tyro?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Rannahan
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Info for enthusiastic tyro?

Post by Rannahan » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:06 pm

This forum is very interesting, but how does one get the background information to get "into" enthusiast tackle? I have formerly obsessed over and risked financial ruin with fly-rods, shotguns, high-grade pipes, and a few other things. I have been interested in fishing all my life, but the subjects contained here are new to me and remind me of reading a paper in Quantum Field-Theory! I recently bought a Calais DC with a GLX 783 along with a (US) Steez Baitcaster and thought that I had hit a home-run. Now, I feel like the fellow driving a Yugo after a traffic-light duel with a Corvette.

I was about to order a (US) STEEZ rod, but read that the US models are somehow inferior to he "JDM" models. What's a tyro to do? Is there a publication of some sort along the lines of "Enthusiast Tackle for Dummies"? Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
Rannahan

unaffiliated
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Info for enthusiastic tyro?

Post by unaffiliated » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:14 pm

When it comes to the topic of enthusiast tackle in the english language this website and this forum is pretty much the most up-to-date source of information (publication or otherwise) that you will likely come across. I don't think i've seen a problem or question that the experts that frequent and moderate this forum can't address. I suggest you just fire away with questions and see what's catching! :welc:

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:26 pm

Rannahan,

Welcome to the TT Forum!

Regarding your question... Just in case you were not aware, we do have an "Enthusiast" section on our mainsite. If you click on:

http://www.tackletour.com/

and look at the right side of the page, there you will see our Table of Contents and how we break out our reviews. There are some cross overs like with the Daiwa Steez rods (categorized under "rods") and Shimano Calais DC (categorized under reels), but everything we've reviewed can be accessed through that main page.

Hope that helps and again, welcome!
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:46 pm

Rannahan wrote: I have formerly obsessed over high-grade pipes .

Best regards,
Rannahan

:shock: 8-[ :whistle:
BlackRock Custom Fishing Rods.
http://www.brooklynbillstackleshop.com

Rannahan
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Rannahan » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:02 pm

I misspoke, I should have stated "I still obsess over high-grade pipes!" However, this has taken a back-seat to high-grade fishing tackle.

BTW, I was thinking of ordering a Steez Rod (STZ631MHFBA) for the Steez Baitcaster. Would this be a mistake?

Rannahan

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:08 pm

Rannahan wrote:BTW, I was thinking of ordering a Steez Rod (STZ631MHFBA) for the Steez Baitcaster. Would this be a mistake?

Rannahan
not at all.. in fact, that's the reel Zander used to review that exact rod:

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwastz631.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Lightninrod » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:20 pm

Welcome to T3 R!

Just keep on reading and asking and ye shall find the answers 8-) .

I too have some high-end and custom-made pipes but I gave them up for premium cigars(see avatar) ;) .

Dan

tj1004
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by tj1004 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:36 pm

Welcome to T3!

I grew up around pipes, my grandpa has smoked them for as long as I can remember. He had a massive collection of Dunhills (500+) that he recently thinned out to about 25. He also collects fancy pipe lighters. Just thought I'd share that! lol..

Scot
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Scot » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:15 pm

Rannahan wrote:a Calais DC with a GLX 783 along with a (US) Steez Baitcaster and thought that I had hit a home-run. Now, I feel like the fellow driving a Yugo after a traffic-light duel with a Corvette.
Welcome to the forum!....Those are fine pieces by any standard and I for one think you did hit a home-run.

Rannahan
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Rannahan » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:33 pm

Thanks to all you fellows for your replies! I've had lots of pipes, mostly Dunhills, Castellos, Roushes, Bangs, Jody Davises, Formers, Teddys, and Ruthenbergs. Am trying to hold it down to 40 or so. Lots of nice people in this hobby.

Is the Daiwa Sustain equizalent to an American Market Steez? I see Bass Pro and Cabelas both show to have the Steez Spinning reels AND rods. Would you buy those or the Japanese models--or somehting else?

I'm really enjoying this!

Thanks for all,
Rannahan