JDM reels: Are we being ripped off?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Want
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

JDM reels: Are we being ripped off?

Post by Want » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:11 am

Iangler wrote:
Darn, these guys are ripping you off.
NO ONE sells for retail price in Japan.
Iangler was discussing the new Metanium. Interesting point. Are we being "ripped off"? A while ago, there was a LOT of discussion about reputable Japanese on-line vendors forced to sell at Manufacturer's Suggested retail pricing. Yet that is obviously not true in Japan, home country of these manufacturers. Are there any options we could use to lower our cost of JDM tackle (yeah, yeah, I know but I can't afford to go to Japan right now)?

iangler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: JDM reels: Are we being ripped off?

Post by iangler » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:26 am

I don't want to go into the whole sponsor/non-sponsor discussion so I'll keep it very simple and avoid mentioning specific shops.

In Japan, competition among local tackle shops is huge. So to stay competitive, they will sell even brand new released reels for 20~30% off retail price. That's just how it is, and that's what the consumers expect.

Now, for exporters/importers, you guys keep buying at retail, they will keep selling at retail ;)
Don't forget, there's also the foreign exchange risk those guys have to worry about too. But I still think you guys are getting ripped off if ANYONE is selling a JDM reel or rod at retail price.

Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Papageno1791 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:30 am

iangler wrote:I don't want to go into the whole sponsor/non-sponsor discussion so I'll keep it very simple and avoid mentioning specific shops.

In Japan, competition among local tackle shops is huge. So to stay competitive, they will sell even brand new released reels for 20~30% off retail price. That's just how it is, and that's what the consumers expect.

Now, for exporters/importers, you guys keep buying at retail, they will keep selling at retail ;)
Don't forget, there's also the foreign exchange risk those guys have to worry about too. But I still think you guys are getting ripped off if ANYONE is selling a JDM reel or rod at retail price.
I won't either mention specific shops, but I'll tell you about my experience. I got the brand new Morethan Branzino 3000 for $520 USD. Retail price is around 70,000 JPY in any of the well-know JDM tackle stores. What I did is to contact a Japanese shop that doesn't sell to foreigners, in principle, and I offered them to buy several reels from them. We agreed on the payment and shipping procedure.
Local shops do not know or do not care much (I think) about the price that JDM tackle stores with a website in English ask westerners for a reel. Local shops are not targetting the American enthusiast market, thus shops such as Plat and Japan Tackle are not their competitors. Anyways, I think those well-known stores have lower prices in their shops than the prices displayed in their websites. However, I am not discouraging buying from them, since contacting a local shop is not so easy without the help of a Japanese speaker.
---- Catch & Release -----

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:30 am

Papageno1791 wrote: Local shops do not know or do not care much (I think) about the price that JDM tackle stores with a website in English ask westerners for a reel. Local shops are not targetting the American enthusiast market, thus shops such as Plat and Japan Tackle are not their competitors. Anyways, I think those well-known stores have lower prices in their shops than the prices displayed in their websites.
If they knew the money involved im sure they would as theyd all think "hey if they can do it we can do it". We need more import shops like Plat and Juns that way we get a more competitive price. 70,000 yen for a reel will never happen with me unless that reel out performs everything on the market. Im an enthusiast but a performance enthusiast. If it dont perform then the looks mean nothing to me. Speaking in Japanese is something I wish I could do.

Fishingboy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fishingboy » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 am

Are we being ripped off? the answer is yes and most of the time. selling reels to foreigners is big business. I don't know about Japan, but in asia, no one sells at retail price. you'll go bust in no time if you sell at retail. what you see at shops are reels priced at retail but if you ask, they'll usually take 10 to 20% off, depending on what type of customer you are (i.e. casual or regular). some would even sell you at wholesale price if you know someone up there in the company hirarchy. also, there's this bargain culture and skills you need to have to be able to get the best deal. if a shop does't offer what you expect, just walk out on them as there are plenty of shops to go to. I once work for a tackle distributor before i this is how i got to know this. those online stores who sells JDM tackles to foreigners are laughing their way to the bank. check the prices at plat or japantackle and then compare them to these websites below and you'll know what i mean.

http://www.bass.co.jp
http://www.tackleisland.co.jp
http://www.backlash.co.jp

illini
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by illini » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:03 am

Whats missing here in the USA is Ma and Pa tackle shops at least around here. There use to be a ton of them when i was a kid not any more. Thats what forces us to pay retail.

LOBINAKING
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by LOBINAKING » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:33 am

This is why we all miss Ginrin......... :cry:

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:19 am

LOBINAKING wrote:This is why we all miss Ginrin......... :cry:
I do miss them but it´s a blessing they are still out of operation and updating their site, I never imagined I could blow away my entire 2 year tackle "budget" in less than three months. :shock:, that was sick ! :? ; needles to say that I had to reorganize the entire operation and increase the tackle budget, ya know, just to play safe in the future and take advantage of the deals.

Zest
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zest » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:55 am

i'm without looking at iangler information already knew that lotsa you guys getting ripped off most of times. even here in my country malaysia,nobody would sell at retail price,that's literally asking for bash. for an example, a certate 2000(official import,with warranty) here cost RM1000, about USD270,the stella 04 cost RM1400 (USD 370) when it first came out, and steez baitcast cost almost RM1500 (USD 394), and people call it expensive still,there's still many shop here battling for good price.can't believe some online store are selling over the retail price and still charge 100% for the delivery cost,good service is not a good excuse for charging over the already premium price,after sales service should not be treated as luxury,it's just consumer right.

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:51 pm

Are we being "ripped off". Absolutely not.

We have a "free enterprise" system that works on several levels, one of which is, what the market will bear.

Fishing tackle is not about life-sustaining necessities during a natural disaster. Most people have some degree of disposable income and spend it as they choose. Life is about choices.

If you believe something is priced out of line with the competition or it's intrinsic value, express your opinion by not buying it. If enough of your peer group agrees, prices will change quickly. Boycotts have worked in the past and they will work again.

Bassin Tom
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassin Tom » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:46 pm

Are we being "ripped off". Absolutely

My daughter just came back for Japan and when she told me some of the prices for tackle over there it was alot lower than what we pay over the internet for some shops. The biggest thing she stated is you have to ask. If you don't then you don't get any deals. But we live in a world of free markets and that what is so great about this. Everyone deserves to make a living regardless where they are here in the USA, Japan, South America, Europe, it doesn't matter everyone in business to make money. 8-)

Fishingboy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fishingboy » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:55 pm

LOBINAKING wrote:This is why we all miss Ginrin......... :cry:
Q: "Are we being ripped off?"

A: Absolutely! :(

Ginrin was here for a purpose...

CamiloS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CamiloS » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:45 pm

Hi,

That is a very valuable piece of information to get! Thanks to our Asian members of TT-Forum fot that.

Ripping is not a nice word though. I mean, if we do not ask for discount or rebate, the sellers will not give it to us. In their place, I would not do it either. We just have to chage our buying behaviour when dealing with them, now that we know how situation and market conditions are.

So that means, the prices we saw from a certain vendor were not that unrealistic? Interesting!

Regards

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:43 pm

You're only being ripped off if you buy without any knowledge of what the "market" or going rate/price is...AND...they lied to sell it to you or knowingly charged you an unethical price.

We choose to buy/spend in our own way with whatever means we feel is suitable acceptable.

No...we are not being ripped off, we are fulfilling our Monkey's addiction with what "our" available market can provide to us.

skinhead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skinhead » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:58 am

From my perspective I dont feel that I've been ripped off when buying JDM tackle. Here in England, a so called high end lure rod will knock you for between £100 and £150(ish) / $200-$300, and IMO they aren't high end at all, standard Fuji guides, very basic guide wraps and basic reel seat etc. I payed approx £130 / $260 for my Toi Tsu, delivered from Plat. The quality of product stuffs anything that is available here.